392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
1. SCENARIO A - Max out at 37" tires
I assume the Dana 44 will hold out fairly okay assuming I don't go crazy. In which case, I assume the below mods are all i need/want for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​

Is the transfer case a weak area that needs to be replaced? Should anything else be replaced or reinforced?

I know some folks might suggest re-gearing when moving up to 37" even with the standard 3.6 Pentastar, but the good news/bad news the 392 has way more torque and horsepower. I had/have a stick so I assume the "new" 8 speed automatic paired with the 392 will feel 100 times better.
Lift is there. You can add control arms if wanted, or just slap the 37s under it. Driveshafts are likely different, as well as skid plates. Driveshaft necessity is unknown, Transfer case as weak link, also unknown.

A, C, D (when available) and F would put your rig far more capable than most.

Advertisement

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have an idea: since this 4WD system is in 2WD until the clutch actuates the front axle, we just need to figure out a way of tapping into the clutch system. So then combo this ability to control the front axle clutch with a line lock kit on the front wheels... Get the rear wheels spinning and up to a decent speed, then dump the T-case front axle clutch while releasing the line lock for some 4WD burnouts.:like:

Bruce Willys

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I have an idea: since this 4WD system is in 2WD until the clutch actuates the front axle, we just need to figure out a way of tapping into the clutch system. So then combo this ability to control the front axle clutch with a line lock kit on the front wheels... Get the rear wheels spinning and up to a decent speed, then dump the T-case front axle clutch while releasing the line lock for some 4WD burnouts.:like:

ScholarlySlightBluefish-max-1mb.gif

RELBUS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 18 JLUR
I may or may not have removed the front driveshaft from my 98 5.9 back in the day JUST to do burnouts🤘🍻

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S / GMC 1500AT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

jb2980

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; 2017 Explorer XLT; 2013 Shelby GT500; 1985 Mustang GT
I would trade my JLUR tomorrow if they offered the Hemi with stick, so that's my fatal flaw. I'll only drive manual -- love my current girl but the 3.6 is slow as hell sometimes trying to move around all that weight. (Other ride is a Shelby GT500, maybe the Wrangler could be a bit closer in keeping up lol) Figured they wouldn't bother though since they don't offer it with any other other powertrain options :(

Lifenajeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, 2008 jku, 1978 cj7, 2001 xj, 1997 tj, custom buggy, 2002 Excursion plus others
I wouldn't put any stock in the photos Jeep uses for their promotions as proof. Jeep has notoriously used photos in the past with wrong equipment, missing or added components or even the wrong vehicle. I mean where is the 392 with the 37's from the release video...nope we get 33's.

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
since this 4WD system is in 2WD until the clutch actuates the front axle

It’s possible because when you are in 4Auto, the transfer case provides torque only to the rear axle until the rear wheels start to spin, only then is torque sent to the front axle
There is no “2WD mode”, as Selec-Trac is always sending power to the front axle in 4Auto

The F/R torque split will vary by drive mode in the 6.4 like SRT models

F33F15C1-919C-43A3-9688-0C53F1A66799.png

Willy's Commando

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
There is no “2WD mode”, as Selec-Trac is always sending power to the front axle in 4Auto

The F/R torque split will vary by drive mode in the 6.4 like SRT models

F33F15C1-919C-43A3-9688-0C53F1A66799.png
So do We know what the torque split for the 392, is there going to be different options in the normal 4wd?

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So do We know what the torque split for the 392, is there going to be different options in the normal 4wd?
All Jeep currently lists is “Full-Time” so I’m not sure. The biggest difference is that the other 6.4’s use the MP3010 single-speed case vs the 392’s MP3022 two-speed case. I still don’t understand why they don’t use the stronger MP3023 from the 5.7

F6289493-B503-41C9-83CF-D4488324AD64.png

Dusty

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That seems like a giant hassle that I'm paying extra for. I can't stand the painted top and fenders, so it's definitely a no go item. I'd say about half the Wranglers I see have either black fenders or a black top.
The reason you don't see more painted fenders is it's a $600 option and guys think the black plastic is tougher (clue: can't rub out scratches on plastic).

The painted top is a $1,000 option (above the black HT) which only makes it to full-blown optioned out JLs.

I'm absolutely certain Jeep decided a 392 Hemi Jeep should be a full-blown optioned out JL. I'm guessing it will be the highest priced and least discounted JL, ever.

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement