Sponsored

392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
They could announce there will be a black leather briefcase in the back seat with $5,000 in it for upgrades and people would come on here and complain that it doesn't match the grain of the leather seats.
I'd buy one if it was $50k.

Sponsored

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Slightly off topic, but what mods are needed if a person wants to rock crawl with this? I know need is a subjective topic, so I'll throw out a specific example.

Have a 2015 JKUR. I put in a which, 3.5" lift, 35" tires and full steel skid plates. Sadly the OEM drive shaft broke, and replacing it was a PITA with the skid plates on so I wish I had put in an after market drive shaft before I installed the skid plates. Hoping to avoid the pain/hassles of something like this again.

Buy once and cry once. Especially with work, the kids, etc. Don't want to be going back to the shops every now and then, but at the same time don't want to spend on something unnecessary.

Assuming I have learned my lessons and am more experienced (vs. default to "send it" when stuck), I can see myself doing one of 2 things.

1. SCENARIO A - Max out at 37" tires
I assume the Dana 44 will hold out fairly okay assuming I don't go crazy. In which case, I assume the below mods are all i need/want for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​

Is the transfer case a weak area that needs to be replaced? Should anything else be replaced or reinforced?

I know some folks might suggest re-gearing when moving up to 37" even with the standard 3.6 Pentastar, but the good news/bad news the 392 has way more torque and horsepower. I had/have a stick so I assume the "new" 8 speed automatic paired with the 392 will feel 100 times better.

2. SCENARIO A - 40", 42" or bigger tires.
Assume the off roading with Dana 44 will require sleeves, truss, etc. But likely safer to go with Dana 60s.

I assume the below mods are needed for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​
G. Dana 60s​

Would anything else need to be replaced or modified?

Thanks in advance.

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
The 392 is a perfect vehicle. Anyone who disagrees is free to go buy something else.
I think the 392 is a perfect build to start with. I am salivating at getting one.

Granted there are some options I am not a fan of such as hard top (as I want only a soft top), but those are minor issues. I just worry about the mechanical stuff that I am frankly not an expert in.

A former colleagues who is just getting into jeeps asked me which trim to get. I told him the Rubicon will be more than enough for most folks who do off-road. And a few simple mods will make it even more capable (lift and bigger tires).

But if he wants to go all out with 42" and Dana 60 then it would be a waste to pay the $$$ for a rubicon and "throw away" all the stuff that makes the Rubicon so expensive including the Dana 44, lockers, suspension, etc. And in that case, a JLU Sport would be the way to go.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
forced "upgrades".
Oh I agree!! But they do it because they know they can and can also get away with it.

MBUSA does the same thing with their G-class. European buyers get to choose their options. USA buyers get everything but the kitchen sink. And thereā€™s a significant difference in price.

But MBUSA doesnā€™t stop because itā€™s ridiculously profitable and people are willing to pay for it.

Jeepā€™s not much different except everyone gets to pay the premiums. Lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Oh I agree!! But they do it because they know they can and can also get away with it.

MBUSA does the same thing with their G-class. European buyers get to choose their options. USA buyers get everything but the kitchen sink. And thereā€™s a significant difference in price.

But MBUSA doesnā€™t stop because itā€™s ridiculously profitable and people are willing to pay for it.

Jeepā€™s not much different except everyone gets to pay the premiums. Lol
I'm not sure that the painted top and fenders is a good force, likely cutting out half the potential buyers.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm not sure that the painted top and fenders is a good force, likely cutting out half the potential buyers.
Half? Thatā€™s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer canā€™t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if thereā€™s another JL in the home, swap with them.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Is the 4-door considered a "forced upgrade"? Because that's the main reason I wouldn't consider buying the 392 (well, and the unknown cost).
No 2dr Sahara, no 2 dr HEMI. Seems silly on Jeepā€™s part if you ask me. But Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an internal cost associated with that option that made Jeep not want to offer either.
Sponsored