392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR
Why would they use a FAD if there's no 2WD mode? I find this statement to be highly unlikely.
It’s possible because when you are in 4Auto, the transfer case provides torque only to the rear axle until the rear wheels start to spin, only then is torque sent to the front axle.

Having said that, I would choose not to have the fad in the 392 if I was Jeep.

Advertisement

OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
It’s possible because when you are in 4Auto, the transfer case provides torque only to the rear axle until the rear wheels start to spin, only then is torque sent to the front axle.
I don't think disconnecting in two places (tc and axle) is realistic for a 4WD selection. Hagerty's says no FAD.

Bruce Willys

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Yeah, I don't doubt that there will be no 2H on the vehicle. By limiting it to 4H auto it will put power to the front axle if the back starts spinning. This will keep the vehicle straight and prevent some bozo from wrecking, can you say LIABILITY! LOL
Can you imagine 470 lb-ft to the rear wheels in a Wrangler, more than a couple people would be crashing them on the way home from the dealership Dodge Viper style especially if it's wet out. Stability and traction control are definitely going to be heavily involved in putting the power down in these even with 4WD. I wish that they were offering it with the ability to engage 2WD, but I get why they aren't.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Can you imagine 470 lb-ft to the rear wheels in a Wrangler, more than a couple people would be crashing them on the way home from the dealership Dodge Viper style especially if it's wet out. Stability and traction control are definitely going to be heavily involved in putting the power down in these even with 4WD. I wish that they were offering it with the ability to engage 2WD, but I get why they aren't.
Yeah, when I thought about it it makes total sense why Jeep took out 2H option.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Granite - Tons and 40's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I build wheels
They could announce there will be a black leather briefcase in the back seat with $5,000 in it for upgrades and people would come on here and complain that it doesn't match the grain of the leather seats.
I'd buy one if it was $50k.

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Slightly off topic, but what mods are needed if a person wants to rock crawl with this? I know need is a subjective topic, so I'll throw out a specific example.

Have a 2015 JKUR. I put in a which, 3.5" lift, 35" tires and full steel skid plates. Sadly the OEM drive shaft broke, and replacing it was a PITA with the skid plates on so I wish I had put in an after market drive shaft before I installed the skid plates. Hoping to avoid the pain/hassles of something like this again.

Buy once and cry once. Especially with work, the kids, etc. Don't want to be going back to the shops every now and then, but at the same time don't want to spend on something unnecessary.

Assuming I have learned my lessons and am more experienced (vs. default to "send it" when stuck), I can see myself doing one of 2 things.

1. SCENARIO A - Max out at 37" tires
I assume the Dana 44 will hold out fairly okay assuming I don't go crazy. In which case, I assume the below mods are all i need/want for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​

Is the transfer case a weak area that needs to be replaced? Should anything else be replaced or reinforced?

I know some folks might suggest re-gearing when moving up to 37" even with the standard 3.6 Pentastar, but the good news/bad news the 392 has way more torque and horsepower. I had/have a stick so I assume the "new" 8 speed automatic paired with the 392 will feel 100 times better.

2. SCENARIO A - 40", 42" or bigger tires.
Assume the off roading with Dana 44 will require sleeves, truss, etc. But likely safer to go with Dana 60s.

I assume the below mods are needed for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​
G. Dana 60s​

Would anything else need to be replaced or modified?

Thanks in advance.

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
The 392 is a perfect vehicle. Anyone who disagrees is free to go buy something else.
I think the 392 is a perfect build to start with. I am salivating at getting one.

Granted there are some options I am not a fan of such as hard top (as I want only a soft top), but those are minor issues. I just worry about the mechanical stuff that I am frankly not an expert in.

A former colleagues who is just getting into jeeps asked me which trim to get. I told him the Rubicon will be more than enough for most folks who do off-road. And a few simple mods will make it even more capable (lift and bigger tires).

But if he wants to go all out with 42" and Dana 60 then it would be a waste to pay the $$$ for a rubicon and "throw away" all the stuff that makes the Rubicon so expensive including the Dana 44, lockers, suspension, etc. And in that case, a JLU Sport would be the way to go.

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat and a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
According to this photo on the Jeep web sight it does indeed have a 2H mode, notice the paddle shifters in the photo.
MY21-Wrangler-Rubicon-392-Shift-Into-Gear-Desktop.jpg
Okay, I'll update that then!

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement