Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just heads up, not that they’re not cool, but if you’re like me and loved the ole TJ half doors, the new half doors won’t be the same. Speaking as someone who had a pair of JK half doors and both a TJ with half doors, the newer half doors come up much higher than the older ones. I think it’s due to new door safety standards or something...
I didn't have them on a TJ, but did have them on my JK. I loved them. The uppers were a big large imo but that also meant they sealed much better then the TJ ones. Also were quiter.

I imagine the TJ windows are similar to the bestop soft door uppers and a lot of people complain they have to bend them and they flap. The JK windows never did this.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hellcats, Durangos, Trackhawks, and Scat Packs aren't getting single-digit average gas mileage figures, though. And gas mileage is just one of many hurdles they need to overcome. There's no way the current steering gear paired with the 392 doesn't present a litany of safety issues, not to mention crash safety concerns that Chrysler before Fiat kept spouting for years, even as far back as the 5.7 in a JK.

The notion that this is merely a concept because FCA is still gauging whether or not the public wants this is a joke. They know we want this. FCA has managed to put 392s and Hellcat engines into virtually everything and get them on lots, but for some reason they haven't been able to accomplish it with the Wrangler.
If you think the hemi Wrangler is going to average single digits you're not very smart.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If you think the hemi Wrangler is going to average single digits you're not very smart.
My experience driving Hemi Wranglers would suggest otherwise. The 5.7L in the JK in the city barely got 12mpg, maybe 15mpg on the highway if you drove it like a V6. The 6.1L offered in AEV packages was even worse. We used to joke that a Grand Wagoneer got better gas mileage.

My JL averages about 12mpg as it is with the Pentastar on BFG KM3 37's that, in reality, are a hair above 35".

If you think the 392 in the JL is going to do any better, you're not very smart, either.

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My experience driving Hemi Wranglers would suggest otherwise. The 5.7L in the JK in the city barely got 12mpg, maybe 15mpg on the highway if you drove it like a V6. The 6.1L offered in AEV packages was even worse. We used to joke that a Grand Wagoneer got better gas mileage.

My JL averages about 12mpg as it is with the Pentastar on BFG KM3 37's that, in reality, are a hair above 35".

If you think the 392 in the JL is going to do any better, you're not very smart, either.
I was at a dealer yesterday and randomly looked at the Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi 5.7 liter V8 that makes 395 HP 410 lb ft torque and the sticker read 21mpg HWY and 17mpg City. Have you driven a wrangler with this motor? I wonder why FCA doesnt look at this motor drop for the JL instead of the 392? It seems to be a BIG upgrade over the 3.6 pentastar while still maintaining halfway decent efficiency. :beer:

FYI...with the 3.6 & 6 speed on 37" Pats, my jeep avg's 16mpg @75mph in 5th gear on the hwy and 14mpg around town.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was at a dealer yesterday and randomly looked at the Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi 5.7 liter V8 that makes 395 HP 410 lb ft torque and the sticker read 21mpg HWY and 17mpg City.
If Jeep were really serious about a Hemi Wrangler, they'd use this engine instead.

Have you driven a wrangler with this motor?
Yes, I have. It's fantastic, provides plenty of power, and sounds great. But with the Jeep's lack of aerodynamics (not that a 1500 is that much better) an axle swap, and 35s, it was easily carrying an extra 400-500lbs and just ate through gas like it was nothing. It was still running the NSG370 which eventually grenaded because it couldn't handle the torque, but that wasn't unexpected. I don't remember what it was replaced with, but at the time, that Jeep was the pinnacle of shit-your-pants-while-smiling greatness.

I wonder why FCA doesnt look at this motor drop for the JL instead of the 392? It seems to be a BIG upgrade over the 3.6 pentastar while still maintaining halfway decent efficiency. :beer:
These are the questions I'm curious about. The 392 Wrangler in and of itself isn't impressive or new. Shops have been doing these conversions for almost 15 years. But despite serious consumer interest, FCA throwing 392s into everything, and Jeep themselves showing us Hemi Wranglers year after year, they're still not on lots.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Awesome, you ended up buying a 2020 X3M after all that?!? Nice! Can't wait to see you on the boards/Facebook group.
What don't you understand about YOU and YOUR GARAGE? Not mine, don't you like yourself? My only, is my Jeep!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
What don't you understand about YOU and YOUR GARAGE? Not mine, don't you like yourself? My only, is my Jeep!
My lord your comprehension skills are seriously deficient.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
but at the time, that Jeep was the pinnacle of shit-your-pants-while-smiling greatness.
Fecal incontinence is a laughing matter for some. But forced induction on the 3.6 easily achieves much higher performance than the bare 5.7...without the v8 sound of course.

These are the questions I'm curious about. The 392 Wrangler in and of itself isn't impressive or new. Shops have been doing these conversions for almost 15 years. But despite serious consumer interest, FCA throwing 392s into everything, and Jeep themselves showing us Hemi Wranglers year after year, they're still not on lots.
This is a legit concern. It's possible that Jeep is showing this 392 to dampen Bronco sales. But unless Bronco comes up with their own high performance model, Jeep might not release it. They'll just say "we told you it was just a concept".

No one has looked under the hood of those Wranglers with 392 written on them... companies are known for more creative marketing tactics.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one has looked under the hood of those Wranglers with 392 written on them... companies are known for more creative marketing tactics.
And I don't purport to know what they've got working and not working; I'm merely speculating based on my personal experience with similar vehicles and powertrains. Of course, as such, I'm apparently "not smart" and need to "drive a Prius."

I've driven and gone camping in a Hemi JK Wrangler. I own a lifted JL. I daily drive a 392. All three of these vehicles and powertrains have one thing in common: absolute dogshit fuel economy. My Challenger does decent on the highway, but it's still a joke in the city.

I don't see where combining elements of all three doesn't result in a Wrangler, albeit awesome and fun to drive, with safety and fuel economy being nothing short of an absolute disaster. I'm not really even interested in the 392 Wrangler so much as the creative workarounds, compromises, and sneaky tactics FCA will need to employ to get them on dealership lots.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Why don't you and your 2020 BMW X3M Competition (your daily) go to bmw forum, I sure you will find something to complain about there

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
And I don't purport to know what they've got working and not working; I'm merely speculating based on my personal experience with similar vehicles and powertrains. Of course, as such, I'm apparently "not smart" and need to "drive a Prius."

I've driven and gone camping in a Hemi JK Wrangler. I own a lifted JL. I daily drive a 392. All three of these vehicles and powertrains have one thing in common: absolute dogshit fuel economy. My Challenger does decent on the highway, but it's still a joke in the city.

I don't see where combining elements of all three doesn't result in a Wrangler, albeit awesome and fun to drive, with safety and fuel economy being nothing short of an absolute disaster. I'm not really even interested in the 392 Wrangler so much as the creative workarounds, compromises, and sneaky tactics FCA will need to employ to get them on dealership lots.
What's your estimate of real world fuel economy for a 392 JL? You own all three pieces if you will so your perspective is probably among the best educated guesses we will get. Sorry if you mentioned this already. I've been tuning in and out of this thread.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wish these guys would show more on the doors. So many people are asking for them and even when they are right there it doesn't feel like anyone is asking about em.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I wish these guys would show more on the doors. So many people are asking for them and even when they are right there it doesn't feel like anyone is asking about em.
Because those car reviewers know jack s*** about cars. They're unemployed classical harpists and interpretive dancers writing about vehicles to earn a living between gigs.

The half doors in the now old video below might even be early factory designs:

I remember, they had this bikini-ish paint before bikini was released too. The show stank of FCA involvement:
https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/20...ies-show-off-their-customized-jeep-wranglers/

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Because those car reviewers know jack s*** about cars. They're unemployed classical harpists and interpretive dancers writing about vehicles to earn a living between gigs.

The half doors in the now old video below might even be early factory designs:

I remember, they had this bikini-ish paint before bikini was released too. The show stank of FCA involvement:
https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/20...ies-show-off-their-customized-jeep-wranglers/

those look almost exactly like jk half doors

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's your estimate of real world fuel economy for a 392 JL? You own all three pieces if you will so your perspective is probably among the best educated guesses we will get. Sorry if you mentioned this already. I've been tuning in and out of this thread.
My perspective isn't any better than anyone elses. I've just never had the expectation of any reasonable fuel economy out of a Jeep, especially one with a V8. And that's fine. That's not why you buy one. I'm not convinced the 392 Wrangler won't absolutely annihilate gas and that's one of many reasons why it'll never be anything other than a concept.

I never owned the Hemi JK, but it was a vehicle that accompanied us on a ton of wheeling and camping trips out in the boonies of Colorado. As I mentioned in a previous post, that thing had trouble getting above 12mpg on the highway unless you kept it under 65. It had ProRock 44s, but still ran the NSG370. We had a mutual friend who put a 6.1L in 2-door JK and it was pretty much the same story. Both Jeeps ran 35s.

My 3.6L JLUR is running 37s, but they're BFGs, so they're not really 37". They measure 35.5" and I get roughly 12mpg in the city and maybe 15-16mpg on the highway. The computer will tell me I average 18mpg, but that's fake news.

My 392 Challenger will do 20-22mpg on the highway, but averages 15-16mpg in the city. That's in street mode with MDS active. It gets a little worse in Sport mode. It's the same story with that computer, too. It'll claim I average 19mpg or so in the city, but that's also fake news.

So, combining all that together in a totally unscientific manner, I wouldn't be surprised if the 392 Wrangler dips as low as single digits in the city and fights to maintain 15mpg on the highway. I don't know what else they've done to the JL or the 392 itself. It's clearly not a simple transplant since they've reduced the power and torque, but that's more likely to not destroy other elements of the drivetrain.
Sponsored

Last edited: