Sponsored

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
I still don't think it's going to happen. In fact, I think the likelihood of half doors happening is even less than the 392. But I would love Jeep to prove me wrong.
Reverse psychology...I like it!!!
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Just heads up, not that they’re not cool, but if you’re like me and loved the ole TJ half doors, the new half doors won’t be the same. Speaking as someone who had a pair of JK half doors and both a TJ with half doors, the newer half doors come up much higher than the older ones. I think it’s due to new door safety standards or something...
But aren't they better than the factory doors full doors? That's the point.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Dork* in video says Jeep is checking customer reactions to see if people like it. Did they have to check customer reactions before making abominations like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk or Durago Hellcat? So it's only with the Wrangler FCA has to scratch their butts wondering if Wrangler owners might like a bit of fun.

What a load of FCA

----
Brett T. Evans bio:
"Former staff editor at Truck Trend magazine
Former comm intern at Southwest Airlines
Easily excitable around minivans and old BMWs"

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
A V8 is basically the only thing that would get me to seriously consider trading in mine.

I don't think the fuel mileage would be all that worse than the V6, considering the main issue with the jeep is the aerodynamics. I mean, the difference between the 4 and the 6 is negligible IMO, and maybe they could even do some cylinder deactivation.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
A V8 is basically the only thing that would get me to seriously consider trading in mine.

I don't think the fuel mileage would be all that worse than the V6, considering the main issue with the jeep is the aerodynamics. I mean, the difference between the 4 and the 6 is negligible IMO, and maybe they could even do some cylinder deactivation.
Negligible because the I4 and V6 make basically the same power. What's the MPG difference between a V6 Grand Cherokee and an SRT Grand Cherokee?

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
But aren't they better than the factory doors full doors? That's the point.
Yeah, never said they weren’t - just that they’re not as cool as most will expect. That’s the point. No need to be a dick about it.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

It really depends on how they package it I guess. The 8 speed really helps around town. Highway will be tough. Cylinder deactivation might actually hurt in some cases. Flat roads 65-70 is probably the only real use case.

I think overall I’d prefer the diesel over the v8– maybe if they do a two door v8 then I’d buy it.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
It’s obvious to me everyone would love to see this as an option (me included) Question is would the price of the V8 package scare away customers.

If the V8 is only available in this special trim with a beefed up package (ex. not available as a option sport trim, I’m sure it won’t be) they run the risk of, “yea it’s neat, but at this price I can buy the TRX (possibly, it hasn’t been priced yet); or 60k+ opens a lot of other options.”

A previous post mentioned the Grand Cherokee Track Hawk, MSRP is $87k, Or the SRT version (IMO more closely aligns with this concept) MSRP, $69k. FCA isn’t just watching the market interest; they are watching the economy. Pratt Whitney/ Raytheon just laid off 15k, American Airlines 9k, Marriott 8k.

According to Business Insider Magazine Article authored 9/22:
  • Over 6 months, more than 60 million Americans have filed for unemployment insurance — that's more than the number of claims filed during the 18-month Great Recession.
FCA will need to time this right, I’m sure they are probably on a wait and see; the economic forecast needs to improve for this business case to make sense.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Really? You are talking GAS millage, on the Jeep JLU? The 392 will use too much gas, Boo-Hoo, you should have bought a Prius, instead of a JLU!
Don't worry Apophis is going to take care of all your gas worries, in 2029!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Really? You are talking GAS millage, on the Jeep JLU? The 392 will use too much gas, Boo-Hoo, you should have bought a Prius, instead of a JLU!
Don't worry Apophis is going to take care of all your gas worries, in 2029!
This matters to the lowest common denominator, though. Most Jeep owners don't take their Wranglers onto anything remotely resembling a trail and it's these buyers that keep the brand in business. As it stands now, the 392 is way too deep into enthusiast territory, especially with its single digit gas mileage, to justify the cost of its production.

Yes, people want it and will buy it, but not enough for FCA or Stellantis or whatever they're called now to commit parts, service, and warranties.

I see the 4XE and future updates to that powertrain making the 392 Wrangler even less appealing to the general public.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
This matters to the lowest common denominator, though. Most Jeep owners don't take their Wranglers onto anything remotely resembling a trail and it's these buyers that keep the brand in business. As it stands now, the 392 is way too deep into enthusiast territory, especially with its single digit gas mileage, to justify the cost of its production.

Yes, people want it and will buy it, but not enough for FCA or Stellantis or whatever they're called now to commit parts, service, and warranties.

I see the 4XE and future updates to that powertrain making the 392 Wrangler even less appealing to the general public.
Time will tell. That’s what so great about putting things in writing we can look back and see who is right and who was wrong. I’ll take the opposing position to yours and I predict it will happen.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Time will tell. That’s what so great about putting things in writing we can look back and see who is right and who was wrong. I’ll take the opposing position to yours and I predict it will happen.
I absolutely agree. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I'm just in the "I'll believe it I see it on a lot" camp because Jeep kept telling us for years that a V8 in a Wrangler would never happen for a litany of reasons that suddenly don't seem to matter because there's some actual competition now.