Sponsored

392 ? Hacking the 99 miles per hour limit ?

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I think the process starts with disabling the airbags and seat belts. We wouldn’t want a survivor to reproduce.
Ya, and going to the moon was dangerous also, if the world was full of people like you we would still be traveling in covered wagons. I hope you are unable to reproduce people like yourself
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I know it's a little early, but has anybody looked into bypassing the 99 limiter programing on the new 392 Jeep Wrangler?
Sure it's been said but the tires are the issue more than anything as to why that limiter exists. Jeeps don't carry tires over a Q rating.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Sure it's been said but the tires are the issue more than anything as to why that limiter exists. Jeeps don't carry tires over a Q rating.
This is what I am currently running on my 392 Kenda 35x12.50R17LT 10 Ply Q rating

Last edited:

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This is what I am currently running on my 392 Kenda 12.50Size:35x12.50R17LTRim Diameter:17Load Range:ELoad Index:121Ply Rating:10Tire
Assuming Kevlar R/Ts or something close, the speed rating is 106mph.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I like how Jeep is charging extra for the 110 speed limit on the new 2022 Recon 392! 110 (JJ3)

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I like how Jeep is charging extra for the 110 speed limit on the new 2022 Recon 392! 110 (JJ3)
Again, check the tires they put on it. The tires are the issue.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Again, check the tires they put on it. The tires are the issue.
So, you are saying tire company's are coming out with a 110 rated tire in 2022 and jeep is going to make money by charging for the unlock code to the PCM to let it go to 110....

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So, you are saying tire company's are coming out with a 110 rated tire in 2022 and jeep is going to make money by charging for the unlock code to the PCM to let it go to 110....

They have to. The tire rating is the issue, nothing else. You can't certify a vehicle with tires rated to 99 or 106 for 110mph. So, yeah, they'll use a tire rated for 110 or 120. Raptor owners complain about the speed limiter constantly.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Its not hard to hit the speed limiter. Hopefully we can make that go away soon.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Members with 392s: I've been patiently waiting for a Cars & Coffee burnout video but you're all obsessed with the 99mph limiter.

[Just watch out...those curbs come up mighty fast when you're fishtailing.]

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
They are charging you for the likely more expensive, higher speed rated tires that will come on the Jeep and adjusting the speed limiter accordingly? It’s government regulation, vehicle has to be electronically limited to the speed rating of the tires it’s sold with. This isn’t a Jeep issue, it’s a nanny state issue.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They are charging you for the likely more expensive, higher speed rated tires that will come on the Jeep and adjusting the speed limiter accordingly? It’s government regulation, vehicle has to be electronically limited to the speed rating of the tires it’s sold with. This isn’t a Jeep issue, it’s a nanny state issue.
I'm not sure how matching the speed limiter with the tire's safe operating ceiling is considered a "nanny state" issue. More like a common sense issue. As proof, the OP complained about not being able to pass trucks going over 90mph on a two-lane road in the rain - with his whole-life-ahead-of-her daughter on board. [Proving sometimes we need the nanny state because common sense fails.]

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm not sure how matching the speed limiter with the tire's safe operating ceiling is considered a "nanny state" issue. More like a common sense issue. As proof, the OP complained about not being able to pass trucks going over 90mph on a two-lane road in the rain - with his whole-life-ahead-of-her daughter on board. [Proving sometimes we need the nanny state because common sense fails.]
We could get into a super long discussion of tire design and testing, but suffice it to say that the tire is designed for a certain market and then tested to meet the speed rating of said market. In no way does that mean it will fail at any speed over its rating. The testing is run at maximum load, at the rate speed, for 10 full minutes. For a C rated tire, that is ~2k lbs per tire. Logic would say dropping that load by 45% would have a pretty major effect on "safe" speed. Being that you likely won't be running 120mph+ on public streets (at least not for very long), and that drag strips runs etc are over in seconds not minutes, I would guarantee you could spin that stock tire to 115+ without an issue in real world use. Safety margins leave a whole bunch of cushion. It gets even sillier if you step up to an E rated tire. Testing at maximum load of 3,200 lbs per tire, and limiting the truck that weighs less than half that to the same test speed is full on nanny state. If I can cruise 105mph safely while hauling the jeep and a miata on top of my truck, likely the tires would hold up fine unladden at 120+.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
To all naysayers:
Well, first of all it is because I can modify. I have driven my 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Pictured) to drop off my daughter to a collage in Washington and there is a two lane Hwy where the truckers are going at least 90 mph at times, if you have ever been stuck behind a truck in torrential rain it is fckd ! I want to have the power I am paying $$$for the power to pass in those conditions, not racing. If you have looked at any of my other posts, I have modified every Jeep I have owned , Why you ask? because I can!
I love cracking wrenches and improving what engineers leave behind because of the insurance industry lobbies' force the auto makers to comply for safety. I have had seven Jeeps in over 44 years of driving never had an accident, never had any of my mod's break or risk injury to me or anybody else.
Why do we buy Jeeps ? A car that HAS to me modified.. simply because we can, that's what make Jeepers tick! I am told my Bright White 392 will be here in two or three weeks, I cant wait to tear into it!
Haven't and wont read beyond this post. I have 3 teenage kids and if your first response to why you want to go over 99mph in a Jeep is to get your daughter to college to stay ahead or pass truckers doing 90mph in rain you will not care what anyone says. You are risking your daughters life and as a fellow parent you are a moron. That's all I got. I pray you and your children have safe travels....

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If I can cruise 105mph safely while hauling the jeep and a miata on top of my truck, likely the tires would hold up fine unladden at 120+.
"Safely" is not the word I would have chosen to describe this scenario. :)
Sponsored