Sponsored

392 ? Hacking the 99 miles per hour limit ?

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Its tires' speed rating — the fastest speed at which the tires can be driven safely — determined the truck's top speed. The fat, off-road-oriented 33-inch BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 tires carry a Q speed rating, which equates to 100 mph. Automakers virtually never allow a vehicle's top speed to exceed its tires' speed rating in order to protect themselves from liability suits should there be a high-speed tire failure.

If you want to go faster than 99 MPH, don't buy a Wrangler. They were NEVER designed to go fast.
So many nanny staters on this forum.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So many nanny staters on this forum.
Yesterday I saw a Challenger cut across three rows of traffic to make a LEFT turn on red from the extreme right lane. He did it at 60mph. His tail end was almost stepping out from the G-forces of taking a 90° turn at 60. Not a just-turning-red situation; we'd been sitting, waiting for green, for about 30 seconds when he blasted past.

Somehow that seemed less outrageous than the prospect of someone passing me, on a two-lane road, at 99mph+ - in a Wrangler. Especially since we all know that the driver will not have traded out the off-road tires.

At least my Challenger sighting was a few blocks from Mayo Hospital. I doubt that the two-lane road will be so close to medical help.

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
since when did we start thinking wranglers were built for speed? kinda sounds like letting monkey fly a plane...

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Motor Trend tested the 392 Wrangler and got 4.2 0-60 and 12.9 through the quarter mile at 100.4mph. That may be the lowest trap speed I've ever seen on a 12 second vehicle.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Motor Trend tested the 392 Wrangler and got 4.2 0-60 and 12.9 through the quarter mile at 100.4mph. That may be the lowest trap speed I've ever seen on a 12 second vehicle.
That’s encouraging. I thought that the Mopar-published times might be unobtainable - like the 9.6 second Hellcat quarter mile. The 392 owners will have fun. What happened to the 99mpg limiter? 😀

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not sure the math is even possible to make a 13 second quarter mile at less than 100 mph.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...eanthem&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=&utm_source=
Well would you look at that, 0-60 in 4.2s and under 13s 1/4 mile bone stock in real world testing(that means with the speed limiter). From the online calculator, 4.2 0-60 at 5100lbs should be about a 12.7s 1/4 mile without the limiter. Close enough to mid 12's for me, especially in a jeep on 33" all Terrains.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That’s encouraging. I thought that the Mopar-published times might be unobtainable - like the 9.6 second Hellcat quarter mile. The 392 owners will have fun. What happened to the 99mpg limiter? 😀
9.6 was for the demon, and it's been beaten in a stock car. I don't think they published a made up number, they just published their best run from who knows how many test runs. It took awhile to pop another perfect run as it takes excellent weather and track prep to get a near perfect pass in a drag car. Their street cars on the other hand tend to be under rated.
https://www.motor1.com/news/389262/dodge-demon-stock-quarter-mile-record/

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I live in Dallas. I spend most of my time at over 90 and I'm on 37's. I've had it around 105 going around the Austin loop where the speed limit is 85mph. The Jeep actually handles pretty well but mine doesn't have the wonky steering that so many people complain about.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I’ve put 600 miles on my 392 since Thursday. It’s ridiculous. I can tell you it gets a little squirmy at about 85 on the stock mud tires. Especially in anything but totally calm wind. I’m good keeping it slow.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
since when did we start thinking wranglers were built for speed? kinda sounds like letting monkey fly a plane...
A Trunk Monkey. 😈
This reminds me of a bumper sticker, from the 80's. "If my music is too loud, then you are too old".

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
A Trunk Monkey. 😈
This reminds me of a bumper sticker, from the 80's. "If my music is too loud, then you are too old".
Iam far from old...dont get me wrong id love to have one however i would not be using it to do quarter miles and to see how fast i could get to 60 and make a bunch of noise...and then wonder why its its speed limited for very good and obvious reasons...theres enough douchebags with trackhawks, hellcats etc doing that all over the place, but you do you right?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Iam far from old...dont get me wrong id love to have one however i would not be using it to do quarter miles and to see how fast i could get to 60 and make a bunch of noise...and then wonder why its its speed limited for very good and obvious reasons...theres enough douchebags with trackhawks, hellcats etc doing that all over the place, but you do you right?
Yes, a lot of Douchbags in all kind of fast cars. Just like a lot of Douchbags tearing up other peoples fields, yards, and areas Off-Trail, just because they can. A lot of Soccer moms in Minivans, blocking traffic, by driving in the passing lanes, slow.
Now, with your logic, all fast vehicles should be banned. Slow moving minivans annoy me, should we ban them too??
Well, while we are at it, that darn motorcycle I saw the other day was driving like an idiot, and a lot of them drive like idiots, so ban all motorcycles??
Come to think of it, any vehicle that drives over 60 mph scares my 81 year old mother. Should all vehicles that do this be banned??
Do you see where I am going with this?? If we started acting on every annoying vehicle, and banning them, then we might as well be living in Canada(Kanuckistan).
Ralph Nader would be proud of this kind logic.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, a lot of Douchbags in all kind of fast cars. Just like a lot of Douchbags tearing up other peoples fields, yards, and areas Off-Trail, just because they can. A lot of Soccer moms in Minivans, blocking traffic, by driving in the passing lanes, slow.
Now, with your logic, all fast vehicles should be banned. Slow moving minivans annoy me, should we ban them too??
Well, while we are at it, that darn motorcycle I saw the other day was driving like an idiot, and a lot of them drive like idiots, so ban all motorcycles??
Come to think of it, any vehicle that drives over 60 mph scares my 81 year old mother. Should all vehicles that do this be banned??
Do you see where I am going with this?? If we started acting on every annoying vehicle, and banning them, then we might as well be living in Canada(Kanuckistan).
Ralph Nader would be proud of this kind logic.
In all fairness, Grostage was not advocating banning anything; just not removing the speed limiter that was put in place due to tire rating (and, frankly, common sense).

BTW, I'm half Canadian. What's the Kanuckistan comment all about? Why do we think that it's okay to call out people that are perceived to be different from us in some way? Is it now socially acceptable to express these "sentiments" out loud? This kind of behavior may endear you to your friends, but most people find it boorish. The irony is that your diss doesn't even make sense. Canada is about as far from a former Soviet-Bloc country as can be.

You know a lot about Jeeps, and I've picked up pointers from you, but I couldn't let this comment go by like it was acceptable on this forum - or in everyday life.
Sponsored

Last edited: