Sponsored

392 ? Hacking the 99 miles per hour limit ?

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
Negative, changing your “tire size” in your programmer to a smaller size will give you a higher reading than you are actually going. If you have 35” tires but tell your computer that you put on 40 or 42” per turn of tire you will be fooling your computer into thinking you’re doing 99mph but actually going say 115mph. Speeds noted are just for example. Not correctly calculated.
Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
Negative, changing your “tire size” in your programmer to a smaller size will give you a higher reading than you are actually going. If you have 35” tires but tell your computer that you put on 40 or 42” per turn of tire you will be fooling your computer into thinking you’re doing 99mph but actually going say 115mph. Speeds noted are just for example. Not correctly calculated.
the goal is to unlock the ability for more wheel rotations (i.e. to go faster). a smaller tire needs more rotations per mile than a larger one, therefore if the computer thinks it has a smaller tire on, it expects that it will need to spin the axles more for a given distance (not less). what am I missing?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I was a youngster, people were putting Corvette engines into Chevy Vegas. I never thought I'd say this, but that seems like a more suitable platform - at least for tackling triple digits. Good news, is that Vegas self-destructed from body rot before anyone could get hurt.

edit: a few people have mentioned that passing vehicles on a two lane road is the reason they want the 99mph limiter removed. Really?

Peterveiga

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 diesel rubicon JL
As long as you have the right tires and your steering is dialed in, its perfectly fine. I've had my 2015 JKU Rubicon at 114mph, and got there pretty quickly considering the Prodigy Turbo, and was pulling my empty stand up dual motorcycle trailer at the same time......now when the Porsche in front of me hit the brakes, and I lightly touched mine and they immediately went to the floor, that was pucker factor! Never felt brakes fade that fast before, basically like they were never there. Good thing its a stick shift!

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

470 hp is too much, I'm scared...
It makes more now that it's on E85 =) It'll be more practical in a Gladiator for packaging reasons.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As long as you have the right tires and your steering is dialed in, its perfectly fine. I've had my 2015 JKU Rubicon at 114mph, and got there pretty quickly considering the Prodigy Turbo, and was pulling my empty stand up dual motorcycle trailer at the same time......now when the Porsche in front of me hit the brakes, and I lightly touched mine and they immediately went to the floor, that was pucker factor! Never felt brakes fade that fast before, basically like they were never there. Good thing its a stick shift!
I can't necessarily disagree, but "perfectly fine" may be a stretch. :)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
To all naysayers:
Well, first of all it is because I can modify. I have driven my 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Pictured) to drop off my daughter to a collage in Washington and there is a two lane Hwy where the truckers are going at least 90 mph at times, if you have ever been stuck behind a truck in torrential rain it is fckd ! I want to have the power I am paying $$$for the power to pass in those conditions, not racing. If you have looked at any of my other posts, I have modified every Jeep I have owned , Why you ask? because I can!
I love cracking wrenches and improving what engineers leave behind because of the insurance industry lobbies' force the auto makers to comply for safety. I have had seven Jeeps in over 44 years of driving never had an accident, never had any of my mod's break or risk injury to me or anybody else.
Why do we buy Jeeps ? A car that HAS to me modified.. simply because we can, that's what make Jeepers tick! I am told my Bright White 392 will be here in two or three weeks, I cant wait to tear into it!
Not sure I’m really understanding.... you want be able to pass a semi, thats going 90, on a 2 lane highway, in torrential rain, with your daughter in the car, in a Wrangler?

I get it, really, modding is fun and driving fast is fun... but that is exactly why they install speed limiters/governor’s in the first place. Doesn’t matter what tires you put on, there is nothing even kinda sorta remotely safe about driving a Wrangler that fast in those conditions. And unless you’re Jeff Gordon on a sunny day on the track, it’s not particularly safe in a Ferrari either. Doable ≠ safe.

Last edited:

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
traditionally, wranglers have the lowest car insurance costs in the industry.
most people dont even know about that. :)

i see this creeping up now. thanks to the tuner bois

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
traditionally, wranglers have the lowest car insurance costs in the industry.
most people dont even know about that. :)

i see this creeping up now. thanks to the tuner bois
That's strange.

My Wrangler (and Gladiator) are the most expensive ones on my policy, all listed with equal mileage per year. And it's not close. Porsche is the cheapest, which surprised me. This is with Geico.

I have no idea why though.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Not sure I’m really understanding.... you want be able to pass a semi, on a 2 lane highway, in torrential rain, with your daughter in the car, in a Wrangler?

I get it, really, modding is fun and driving fast is fun... but that is exactly why they install speed limiters/governor’s in the first place. Doesn’t matter what tires you put on, there is nothing even kinda sorta remotely safe about driving a Wrangler that fast in those conditions. And unless you’re Jeff Gordon on a sunny day on the track, it’s not particularly safe in a Ferrari either. Doable ≠ safe.
I was actually letting her drive and teaching her safe passing techniques in the rain. I started letting her drive around the age of 13. She knows more about cars that most boys these days and can out drive them also, teach them young so they know their limitations.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
That's strange.

My Wrangler (and Gladiator) are the most expensive ones on my policy, all listed with equal mileage per year. And it's not close. Porsche is the cheapest, which surprised me. This is with Geico.

You're probably right, less likely to leave 0°/0° with the Porsche 😉

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
That's strange.

guarnibl, I think that most of the negative post's to my original post are the people that refuse to pull over in slow driver pullouts. Some people feel it is their job to police the world. I pull over at the turnouts and let people pass and chalk it up to Darwinism if the people passing loose control and die, they go the way of the Dodo bird. I live in the mountains and pay I think normal rates and my Jeep is not cheep to insure compared to my other cars. I think insurance rates are based on location and how many bad drivers are in that district.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Take a look at the cars that are designed to go real fast. Notice the low center of gravity and the streamlined shape that reduces wind resistance.

None of them is shaped like a Jeep.
Sponsored