Sponsored

392 ? Hacking the 99 miles per hour limit ?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I doubt any tuner/programmer company is going to hack the speed limiter for legal liability reasons, no one has hacked it for the regular JL's yet.
It is just a matter of time before someone adds this to their programmer. There are already programmers out there for other vehicles that can change the governor.

I also imagine a few owners may want to put street tires on this and take it to the track. There is nothing wrong or illegal with doing that at a local track. I imagine you could shave some time off easily with slicks, and then reducing weight by taking the doors and top off. Would be really fun to have one with two sets of tires, take it crawling one day, and to the track the next...
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
It is just a matter of time before someone adds this to their programmer. There are already programmers out there for other vehicles that can change the governor.

I also imagine a few owners may want to put street tires on this and take it to the track. There is nothing wrong or illegal with doing that at a local track. I imagine you could shave some time off easily with slicks, and then reducing weight by taking the doors and top off. Would be really fun to have one with two sets of tires, take it crawling one day, and to the track the next...
I wish you luck.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Why you ask? because I can!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Its tires' speed rating — the fastest speed at which the tires can be driven safely — determined the truck's top speed. The fat, off-road-oriented 33-inch BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 tires carry a Q speed rating, which equates to 100 mph. Automakers virtually never allow a vehicle's top speed to exceed its tires' speed rating in order to protect themselves from liability suits should there be a high-speed tire failure.

If you want to go faster than 99 MPH, don't buy a Wrangler. They were NEVER designed to go fast.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
On the bright side, your YouTube video will get more views than this one:

https://jalopnik.com/cars-and-coffee-dumbass-crash-season-is-here-again-wat-1846667793

There is literally a new one of these EVERY week. And...almost all of these are with cars with excellent handling characteristics and an unbricklike shape. The 392 is a trifecta: overpowered, high center of gravity, and offroad tires - the perfect vehicle for a run at the ton. And...all of that is without death-wobble thrown in for good measure.

On a related note, can insurance companies deny a claim if their investigators find an incriminating thread (like this one)?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
On the bright side, your YouTube video will get more views than this one:

https://jalopnik.com/cars-and-coffee-dumbass-crash-season-is-here-again-wat-1846667793

There is literally a new one of these EVERY week. And...almost all of these are with cars with excellent handling characteristics and an unbricklike shape. The 392 is a trifecta: overpowered, high center of gravity, and offroad tires - the perfect vehicle for a run at the ton. And...all of that is without death-wobble thrown in for good measure.

On a related note, can insurance companies deny a claim if their investigators find an incriminating thread (like this one)?
Don’t forget the anemic V6 can bend axle shafts. Upgraded from trifecta to TetraThreat?

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Yeah not everything was designed for speed, but common look at how much fun you can have adding a little speed to something normally slow as hell:

1618342713354.png

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That is why I asked why one would want to mess with the governed speed.
I had my rear diff come apart at somewhere north of 65 mph (in my TJ) and that was pretty much pucker time.
You should have had that C Clip problem fixed. Did the wheel/Tire and axle walk out on you??

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought the 3.6L was limited to 110 so why 99 for the 392. Yes they should have put in Dana 60's for the V8 but MY GOD 72K with 44's it would have been 90k with 60's.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Livernois tune for 3.6 JL has option of raises speed limiter, using handheld tuner.
I imagine it has an option for you to pick top speed out of a few predefined options (that's how my 5 star tuner works on Explorer TT). This way they are not liable for what you chose to do.

Pock up a set of 20s with more road oriented tires and will be safe to go higher in speed.

Bring in your Jeep to Livernois and they can get a tune made up for you.
They already unlock JL ECUs and have tunes for dodge 5.7 v8.
Gains of up to 61WHP and 48WTQ on 5.7

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This post reminds me of the Ron White joke. Plane engine started smoking and person next to him asked, "how far can we fly like this". His answer, "all the way to the crash site".

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
this chassis isn't built for those speeds at all (esp. with bigger tires and/or a lift), but I totally get where the OP is coming from. it's good to have a limiter for kids who do stupid things (I remember taking my 5-speed TJ past 100 when i was in high school), but for those of us who know what we're doing and take responsibility for it, you don't want something telling you what you can't do. even if just for a rare occasion when the conditions are just right.

I was actually just wondering about this last night - Jeep quotes a 13.0 second quarter mile. they don't quote the trap speed (unless I missed it). it's obvious to me that they achieved that without a limiter. my guess is the car is doing ~110 mph by the end of the 1/4. there will be some disappointed owners if people actually end up taking these to the drag strip for fun trying to rip off 13 second passes only to find that they hit the limiter for the last few seconds.

side note: I've loved my JL for the past two years and never felt an itch for more power (I actually think the 3.6 has plenty of juice with this 8-speed that is tuned to perfection for this application), but in the past two days as I've seen deliveries start, I'm ready to go place an order. I've always been a sucker for V8 and I can't pass this up. love watching these hit the streets and can't wait to start seeing & hearing these around town

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
this chassis isn't built for those speeds at all (esp. with bigger tires and/or a lift), but I totally get where the OP is coming from. it's good to have a limiter for kids who do stupid things (I remember taking my 5-speed TJ past 100 when i was in high school), but for those of us who know what we're doing and take responsibility for it, you don't want something telling you what you can't do. even if just for a rare occasion when the conditions are just right.

I was actually just wondering about this last night - Jeep quotes a 13.0 second quarter mile. they don't quote the trap speed (unless I missed it). it's obvious to me that they achieved that without a limiter. my guess is the car is doing ~110 mph by the end of the 1/4. there will be some disappointed owners if people actually end up taking these to the drag strip for fun trying to rip off 13 second passes only to find that they hit the limiter for the last few seconds.

side note: I've loved my JL for the past two years and never felt an itch for more power (I actually think the 3.6 has plenty of juice with this 8-speed that is tuned to perfection for this application), but in the past two days as I've seen deliveries start, I'm ready to go place an order. I've always been a sucker for V8 and I can't pass this up. love watching these hit the streets and can't wait to start seeing & hearing these around town
Conversely if the quoted 13 second is with the limiter, simply turning it off would make it a low to mid 12 second jeep.
Sponsored