Sponsored

392 ? Hacking the 99 miles per hour limit ?

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I know it's a little early, but has anybody looked into bypassing the 99 limiter programing on the new 392 Jeep Wrangler?
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I haven't seen any tuners or programmers specific to your model yet.

They have to figure out the encryption on the PCM first, then they can build one.

You could check in with HyperTech, DiabloSport and Superchips online and send them an inquiry.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I haven't seen any tuners or programmers specific to your model yet.

They have to figure out the encryption on the PCM first, then they can build one.

You could check in with HyperTech, DiabloSport and Superchips online and send them an inquiry.
Thanks Maddog , I know it is only a matter of time!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I doubt any tuner/programmer company is going to hack the speed limiter for legal liability reasons, no one has hacked it for the regular JL's yet.
I agree. The stock tires on the 392 would likely fall apart at speeds that high. That's why FCA/Jeep has the speed limiter in place.

Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I agree. The stock tires on the 392 would likely fall apart at speeds that high. That's why FCA/Jeep has the speed limiter in place.
Time for some Z rated tires off a BMW M3 :)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm fairly sure that safety goes out the window at 99mph. And...the engine pushing it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Hopefully we won't see any 392s in the Cars & Coffee crash videos, but the good news is that the 392, with its ground clearance, will fair better than most when it jumps the curb after losing control.

BTW, this issue is likely one of the underlying reasons that Jeep resisted putting a V-8 into a Wrangler until Ford forced their hand. I love my Rubicon, but it is the world's worst platform for adding a heavy-hitter engine.

Tyler88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You could get the tires off the Ram TRX since the top speed of that is 118 and the tires are designed to handle that speed if you could get past the limiter

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm fairly sure that safety goes out the window at 99mph. And...the engine pushing it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Hopefully we won't see any 392s in the Cars & Coffee crash videos, but the good news is that the 392, with its ground clearance, will fair better than most when it jumps the curb after losing control.

BTW, this issue is likely one of the underlying reasons that Jeep resisted putting a V-8 into a Wrangler until Ford forced their hand. I love my Rubicon, but it is the world's worst platform for adding a heavy-hitter engine.
The amount of people who can't, or perhaps more accurately- won't, comprehend this is very worrisome. This is one of the reasons we could see an early end to the 392 run.

Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
The amount of people who can't, or perhaps more accurately- won't, comprehend this is very worrisome. This is one of the reasons we could see an early end to the 392 run.
That is why I asked why one would want to mess with the governed speed.
I had my rear diff come apart at somewhere north of 65 mph (in my TJ) and that was pretty much pucker time.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Do you also tow campers with your Ford Pinto because the stupid engineers don’t know what people need to do in the real world?
But seriously, outside a drag strip I wouldn’t want anyone capable of exceeding 99 on a Wrangler. Anything with turns or bumps and I feel like it would be over.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The 04-05 willys trim was limited at 125, it is 100% tire limited. Everything else about the jl is safer at 125 mph than the tj could have ever dreamed to be. Make sure your tires are rated for the speed you want to run and you're doing it safely.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
To all naysayers:
Well, first of all it is because I can modify. I have driven my 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Pictured) to drop off my daughter to a collage in Washington and there is a two lane Hwy where the truckers are going at least 90 mph at times, if you have ever been stuck behind a truck in torrential rain it is fckd ! I want to have the power I am paying $$$for the power to pass in those conditions, not racing. If you have looked at any of my other posts, I have modified every Jeep I have owned , Why you ask? because I can!
I love cracking wrenches and improving what engineers leave behind because of the insurance industry lobbies' force the auto makers to comply for safety. I have had seven Jeeps in over 44 years of driving never had an accident, never had any of my mod's break or risk injury to me or anybody else.
Why do we buy Jeeps ? A car that HAS to me modified.. simply because we can, that's what make Jeepers tick! I am told my Bright White 392 will be here in two or three weeks, I cant wait to tear into it!
Sponsored