392 Experience So Far...

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Hey everyone, I’d like to share some thoughts on my experience owning a 392 so far. Keep in mind these are mainly initial impressions as I’ve only had it for a week. However, I’ve put just over 1,000 miles. I want to start off with the heart of this wrangler which is that 6.4L HEMI 392 engine. To get right to the point, it’s a beast. It’s a complete monster of an engine. It feels so visceral and alive. At start up you immediately hear it roar to life, feel the rumble as the engine turns over, feel it through the wheel and as you set off you hear that glorious engine sing. The power is amazing. The way the power is delivered, the immediate throttle response, and the way it revs is really something special to experience in a wrangler. It’s really a sense of occasion getting in it every time and driving it anywhere. The sound is one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems I’ve ever heard. I’ve owned sport cars that didn’t sound half as good stock as this wrangler does. From start up, to the low revs around town, to going higher up in the revs it sounds amazing. It’s so loud and visceral that it really sounds like a beast waiting to be unleashed. The sound track constantly urges you to keep giving it more throttle and listen to that engine roar. Honestly, I haven’t turned off the performance exhaust mode since I’ve been in it. Just too good to turn off. The next thing I really noticed was the ride. It’s very smooth over bumps and the way it has been set up from factory is really impressive. I was not expecting it to ride as well as it does and it’s really shocking just how good the ride it. However, I noticed that there seems to be more body roll on initial turn in then in other Rubicons with a 4 or 6 cycling engine. I suspect it has to do with the increased weight up front, so while I think Jeep did a great job on the ride there is a little extra body roll then I was expecting. Although, this is a wrangler, it’s definitely not a sports car and while it sounds like a muscle car and the engine feels like a muscle car it’s still a brick that’s sitting high up so can’t expect too much in terms of body roll or cornering abilities. Which brings me to another point, this vehicle commands a certain amount of respect. You can feel the extra weight up front and if you’re not careful it can lead to some trouble with the amount of power it has. That engine and sound track make me wanting to keep accelerating, but I need to remember that this is still a wrangler. Have to be cautious around turns, need to remember the added weight up front, and overall respect the vehicle for what it is which is a very competent off road vehicle and powerful on road vehicle but it’s not a sports car or even something like a track hawk which handles pretty well. Luckily, the brakes are good. They have good feel, good stopping power, and was another pleasant surprise. I wish they would have made the steering wheel a little heavier because to me it feels a little too light, but it does make it easier around town. With any wrangler there isn’t a ton of feel through the steering wheel and it’s still not direct, but it’s a wrangler so it’s to be expected. It does feel very nice in hand and the paddles are a nice addition. To me the wrangler 392 has been absolutely phenomenal and it’s been breath taking every time I’ve driven it. You can’t help but feel happy and in complete awe. I know to some it may seem crazy spending this much money on a wrangler, but honestly there is nothing that can compare. The closest thing I can think of would be a G63 AMG but those brand new are over $150k I believe. All in all I’m really impressed, it’s definitely not perfect and has its flaws. There is room for improvement in certain areas but I think that’s part of the charm and character of owning a wrangler. That’s what makes a wrangler what it is and part of why we love it. This 392 edition is a rubicon on steroids and I can’t believe they actually made them, but I’m so glad they did.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One point I forgot to add is that this 392 gets a ton of attention and peoples reaction to the sounds when driving around or from a light is hilarious. People generally love wranglers in my experience like those who’ve never owned one would have came up and starting talking about jeeps and wranglers. But since I’ve had this 392 the attention it draws is immense. It’s probably due to it being new and not many on the road yet. Or perhaps just the hydro blue color or 392 specific touches that grab attention (wheels, lift, hood scoop, etc) but a lot of people have came up just wanting to hear it or take a picture or just talk which is really cool in my opinion. Those who don’t know about the 392 are shocked when I pull from a light or a stop. They just look at me like what the heck is in that Jeep to make it sounds and speed up like that. It’s pretty hilarious the reactions it gets. Nonetheless it adds to the cool experience the 392 has.

OP
OP

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lastly, an off road experience post is coming soon. Planning on going this up coming weekend so will post how I feel it did in about a week!

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Hey everyone, I’d like to share some thoughts on my experience owning a 392 so far. Keep in mind these are mainly initial impressions as I’ve only had it for a week. However, I’ve put just over 1,000 miles. I want to start off with the heart of this wrangler which is that 6.4L HEMI 392 engine. To get right to the point, it’s a beast. It’s a complete monster of an engine. It feels so visceral and alive. At start up you immediately hear it roar to life, feel the rumble as the engine turns over, feel it through the wheel and as you set off you hear that glorious engine sing. The power is amazing. The way the power is delivered, the immediate throttle response, and the way it revs is really something special to experience in a wrangler. It’s really a sense of occasion getting in it every time and driving it anywhere. The sound is one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems I’ve ever heard. I’ve owned sport cars that didn’t sound half as good stock as this wrangler does. From start up, to the low revs around town, to going higher up in the revs it sounds amazing. It’s so loud and visceral that it really sounds like a beast waiting to be unleashed. The sound track constantly urges you to keep giving it more throttle and listen to that engine roar. Honestly, I haven’t turned off the performance exhaust mode since I’ve been in it. Just too good to turn off. The next thing I really noticed was the ride. It’s very smooth over bumps and the way it has been set up from factory is really impressive. I was not expecting it to ride as well as it does and it’s really shocking just how good the ride it. However, I noticed that there seems to be more body roll on initial turn in then in other Rubicons with a 4 or 6 cycling engine. I suspect it has to do with the increased weight up front, so while I think Jeep did a great job on the ride there is a little extra body roll then I was expecting. Although, this is a wrangler, it’s definitely not a sports car and while it sounds like a muscle car and the engine feels like a muscle car it’s still a brick that’s sitting high up so can’t expect too much in terms of body roll or cornering abilities. Which brings me to another point, this vehicle commands a certain amount of respect. You can feel the extra weight up front and if you’re not careful it can lead to some trouble with the amount of power it has. That engine and sound track make me wanting to keep accelerating, but I need to remember that this is still a wrangler. Have to be cautious around turns, need to remember the added weight up front, and overall respect the vehicle for what it is which is a very competent off road vehicle and powerful on road vehicle but it’s not a sports car or even something like a track hawk which handles pretty well. Luckily, the brakes are good. They have good feel, good stopping power, and was another pleasant surprise. I wish they would have made the steering wheel a little heavier because to me it feels a little too light, but it does make it easier around town. With any wrangler there isn’t a ton of feel through the steering wheel and it’s still not direct, but it’s a wrangler so it’s to be expected. It does feel very nice in hand and the paddles are a nice addition. To me the wrangler 392 has been absolutely phenomenal and it’s been breath taking every time I’ve driven it. You can’t help but feel happy and in complete awe. I know to some it may seem crazy spending this much money on a wrangler, but honestly there is nothing that can compare. The closest thing I can think of would be a G63 AMG but those brand new are over $150k I believe. All in all I’m really impressed, it’s definitely not perfect and has its flaws. There is room for improvement in certain areas but I think that’s part of the charm and character of owning a wrangler. That’s what makes a wrangler what it is and part of why we love it. This 392 edition is a rubicon on steroids and I can’t believe they actually made them, but I’m so glad they did.
Langston Hughes, your words have been amazing, errr, I mean ThatTXJeepGuy , thanks for what was the most beautiful collaboration or words I've ever read. So glade to hear you've been spending time behind the wheel and even more so taking the time to share your experiences. Postings like this just keep getting my excitement level higher and higher when I thought that was way past possible. Can't wait to hear about your off-road reviews.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Great write-up! I can really feel your enthusiasm, and I totally get it!

Your first post in this thread had me thinking about my ol’ V8 transplant CJ-5 (340 Buick, and a lotta other mods). I remember the V8 sound through it’s custom dual exhaust, and the nearly instant gratification when you mashed the skinny pedal! I still miss that Jeep a little.

The 4Xe and maybe someday a fully electric Wrangler may be the way of the future, and that is OK...but, today...enjoy that HEMI! :like: :jk:

Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
That first post hits the nail on the head 101%. Very well said and accurate.
The charm is how it rumbles and roars and leans and sways is the same charm I recall from riding roller coasters as a kid and begging for another turn.
I haven’t enjoyed a daily driver this much since my 16’ G63 and I keep telling my wife that. I tell her everyday that I love driving the 392.
So glad you’re enjoying it, looking forward to the Offroad review!

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
awesome write up! thank you! this kind of stuff helps alleviate the pain and monotony of waiting for my 392. I'm pretty surprised that the 392 is that much heavier than the V6. I heard that it's ~600 pounds heavier. I would have guessed that the engine would add 150-200 pounds, the transmission maybe another 50, T-Case maybe 30. but sounds like it's basically double that. I'd be curious to get these on the scales and see what the real difference is.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I think an aftermarket sway bar could be a good option. I've thought about getting one for my current JL (think you can get one for the rear - not sure anyone makes one for the front given the complication of the electronic disconnect)

Sponsored

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
One point I forgot to add is that this 392 gets a ton of attention and peoples reaction to the sounds when driving around or from a light is hilarious. People generally love wranglers in my experience like those who’ve never owned one would have came up and starting talking about jeeps and wranglers. But since I’ve had this 392 the attention it draws is immense. It’s probably due to it being new and not many on the road yet. Or perhaps just the hydro blue color or 392 specific touches that grab attention (wheels, lift, hood scoop, etc) but a lot of people have came up just wanting to hear it or take a picture or just talk which is really cool in my opinion. Those who don’t know about the 392 are shocked when I pull from a light or a stop. They just look at me like what the heck is in that Jeep to make it sounds and speed up like that. It’s pretty hilarious the reactions it gets. Nonetheless it adds to the cool experience the 392 has.
That hydro blue really stands out, great color.

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Great write up and makes me more anxious for getting my order delivered (eta still unknown but have a VIN).

Does the front axle have the FAD delete driver side? Since this is 4X4 full time, no purpose in the FAD. Just curious if the front axle is solid tube on driver side or if it has the cut out for the FAD.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Yes the FAD is deleted

392 Front Axle.jpeg

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP. Fun read👍
I’m all in as soon as Stellantis offers different tires/wheels to remove the 99 mph speed limiter. I’d settle for at least 110, which is my JL’s limiter...

enjoy/cheers,
B

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes the FAD is deleted

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Experience So Far... 392 Front Axl
They deleted the FAD but they still kept the passenger side half shaft split in two pieces?? I can’t believe the housing is still split in two. I guess changing the axle design to have one continuous axle tube would be too much to ask from FCA?
Sponsored