392 Experience So Far...

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
They deleted the FAD but they still kept the passenger side half shaft split in two pieces?? I can’t believe the housing is still split in two. I guess changing the axle design to have one continuous axle tube would be too much to ask from FCA?
Has the two piece axle shaft actually been confirmed? I had not heard that.

on the housing, while I personally wish it was a normal axle tube, seeing as they used the housing from the Mojave with the thicker 10mm walls, it makes sense to me they wouldn’t go through the retooling process for such a low production vehicle. That Mojave housing has proved strong so far. Time will tell, I suppose ...
Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
The thing I find weird about the 392 is the drain port on the oil pan. Super low oil pan and exposed drain port
Because 99% of buyers of the 392 will have it as a street queen and conversational piece. The rest will swap in tons and address the drain plug with full skids.

Eugene Rubicon 392

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Hey everyone, I’d like to share some thoughts on my experience owning a 392 so far. Keep in mind these are mainly initial impressions as I’ve only had it for a week. However, I’ve put just over 1,000 miles. I want to start off with the heart of this wrangler which is that 6.4L HEMI 392 engine. To get right to the point, it’s a beast. It’s a complete monster of an engine. It feels so visceral and alive. At start up you immediately hear it roar to life, feel the rumble as the engine turns over, feel it through the wheel and as you set off you hear that glorious engine sing. The power is amazing. The way the power is delivered, the immediate throttle response, and the way it revs is really something special to experience in a wrangler. It’s really a sense of occasion getting in it every time and driving it anywhere. The sound is one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems I’ve ever heard. I’ve owned sport cars that didn’t sound half as good stock as this wrangler does. From start up, to the low revs around town, to going higher up in the revs it sounds amazing. It’s so loud and visceral that it really sounds like a beast waiting to be unleashed. The sound track constantly urges you to keep giving it more throttle and listen to that engine roar. Honestly, I haven’t turned off the performance exhaust mode since I’ve been in it. Just too good to turn off. The next thing I really noticed was the ride. It’s very smooth over bumps and the way it has been set up from factory is really impressive. I was not expecting it to ride as well as it does and it’s really shocking just how good the ride it. However, I noticed that there seems to be more body roll on initial turn in then in other Rubicons with a 4 or 6 cycling engine. I suspect it has to do with the increased weight up front, so while I think Jeep did a great job on the ride there is a little extra body roll then I was expecting. Although, this is a wrangler, it’s definitely not a sports car and while it sounds like a muscle car and the engine feels like a muscle car it’s still a brick that’s sitting high up so can’t expect too much in terms of body roll or cornering abilities. Which brings me to another point, this vehicle commands a certain amount of respect. You can feel the extra weight up front and if you’re not careful it can lead to some trouble with the amount of power it has. That engine and sound track make me wanting to keep accelerating, but I need to remember that this is still a wrangler. Have to be cautious around turns, need to remember the added weight up front, and overall respect the vehicle for what it is which is a very competent off road vehicle and powerful on road vehicle but it’s not a sports car or even something like a track hawk which handles pretty well. Luckily, the brakes are good. They have good feel, good stopping power, and was another pleasant surprise. I wish they would have made the steering wheel a little heavier because to me it feels a little too light, but it does make it easier around town. With any wrangler there isn’t a ton of feel through the steering wheel and it’s still not direct, but it’s a wrangler so it’s to be expected. It does feel very nice in hand and the paddles are a nice addition. To me the wrangler 392 has been absolutely phenomenal and it’s been breath taking every time I’ve driven it. You can’t help but feel happy and in complete awe. I know to some it may seem crazy spending this much money on a wrangler, but honestly there is nothing that can compare. The closest thing I can think of would be a G63 AMG but those brand new are over $150k I believe. All in all I’m really impressed, it’s definitely not perfect and has its flaws. There is room for improvement in certain areas but I think that’s part of the charm and character of owning a wrangler. That’s what makes a wrangler what it is and part of why we love it. This 392 edition is a rubicon on steroids and I can’t believe they actually made them, but I’m so glad they did.
To ThatTXJeepGuy, I must say that I fully agree with your assessment of the 2021 Rubicon 392. I picked mine up on 5/6/21 and have just over 1,600 miles on it. It's Sarge green which the dealer tells me is a rarely ordered color. Unlike you, my experience has been no one knows what I'm driving, but they do become aware that this is no ordinary Rubicon when they're being overtaken. Even with the exhaust button off, when you get on it the beast roars.

Recently went to spectate at Lime Rock Park racetrack and the guy taking our tickets said, "Oh, is this one of those...?" Then I revved the engine twice to let him hear - he must have heard of the V-8 hemi coming out..

In my experience, I seem to be driving a unicorn with a tiger in the back. I have yet to see another 392 on the road, but I suspect my first sighting will be coming up.

With the exception of body roll, its road worthiness is very well mannered. Nice smooth ride and soft yet strong brakes to adequately decelerate. Since it is, at heart, an off-road trekker, the suspension is soft. My biggest criticism is the lack of an adaptive suspension system such as I have on a 2005 motorcycle. Trail (soft); Normal (medium); and Sport (firm) would satisfy me. I'm not asking fof the world, and by the way - I have the SAMEcriticism of a 2020 sports car I own.

My 392 is the first Jeep I ever purchased and I'm glad it is THIS one. Safe motoring - drive on.

PS - For off-roading, watch your oil drain plug and your exhaust h-pipe, both are low hangers.

20210506_152341.jpg

20210506_152436.jpg

20210506_152453.jpg

20210506_153054.jpg

20210507_160557.jpg

20210506_153002.jpg

Last edited:

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
G63 is a $200k vehicle at least and it's more refined than ever. 392 wrangler is just rawer....

Sponsored

Doubledwire

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey everyone, I’d like to share some thoughts on my experience owning a 392 so far. Keep in mind these are mainly initial impressions as I’ve only had it for a week. However, I’ve put just over 1,000 miles. I want to start off with the heart of this wrangler which is that 6.4L HEMI 392 engine. To get right to the point, it’s a beast. It’s a complete monster of an engine. It feels so visceral and alive. At start up you immediately hear it roar to life, feel the rumble as the engine turns over, feel it through the wheel and as you set off you hear that glorious engine sing. The power is amazing. The way the power is delivered, the immediate throttle response, and the way it revs is really something special to experience in a wrangler. It’s really a sense of occasion getting in it every time and driving it anywhere. The sound is one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems I’ve ever heard. I’ve owned sport cars that didn’t sound half as good stock as this wrangler does. From start up, to the low revs around town, to going higher up in the revs it sounds amazing. It’s so loud and visceral that it really sounds like a beast waiting to be unleashed. The sound track constantly urges you to keep giving it more throttle and listen to that engine roar. Honestly, I haven’t turned off the performance exhaust mode since I’ve been in it. Just too good to turn off. The next thing I really noticed was the ride. It’s very smooth over bumps and the way it has been set up from factory is really impressive. I was not expecting it to ride as well as it does and it’s really shocking just how good the ride it. However, I noticed that there seems to be more body roll on initial turn in then in other Rubicons with a 4 or 6 cycling engine. I suspect it has to do with the increased weight up front, so while I think Jeep did a great job on the ride there is a little extra body roll then I was expecting. Although, this is a wrangler, it’s definitely not a sports car and while it sounds like a muscle car and the engine feels like a muscle car it’s still a brick that’s sitting high up so can’t expect too much in terms of body roll or cornering abilities. Which brings me to another point, this vehicle commands a certain amount of respect. You can feel the extra weight up front and if you’re not careful it can lead to some trouble with the amount of power it has. That engine and sound track make me wanting to keep accelerating, but I need to remember that this is still a wrangler. Have to be cautious around turns, need to remember the added weight up front, and overall respect the vehicle for what it is which is a very competent off road vehicle and powerful on road vehicle but it’s not a sports car or even something like a track hawk which handles pretty well. Luckily, the brakes are good. They have good feel, good stopping power, and was another pleasant surprise. I wish they would have made the steering wheel a little heavier because to me it feels a little too light, but it does make it easier around town. With any wrangler there isn’t a ton of feel through the steering wheel and it’s still not direct, but it’s a wrangler so it’s to be expected. It does feel very nice in hand and the paddles are a nice addition. To me the wrangler 392 has been absolutely phenomenal and it’s been breath taking every time I’ve driven it. You can’t help but feel happy and in complete awe. I know to some it may seem crazy spending this much money on a wrangler, but honestly there is nothing that can compare. The closest thing I can think of would be a G63 AMG but those brand new are over $150k I believe. All in all I’m really impressed, it’s definitely not perfect and has its flaws. There is room for improvement in certain areas but I think that’s part of the charm and character of owning a wrangler. That’s what makes a wrangler what it is and part of why we love it. This 392 edition is a rubicon on steroids and I can’t believe they actually made them, but I’m so glad they did.
Great write up on the 392! I would like to get one in the next 5 years. Hydro Blue, or Black. I would leave it stock as well.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
awesome write up! thank you! this kind of stuff helps alleviate the pain and monotony of waiting for my 392. I'm pretty surprised that the 392 is that much heavier than the V6. I heard that it's ~600 pounds heavier. I would have guessed that the engine would add 150-200 pounds, the transmission maybe another 50, T-Case maybe 30. but sounds like it's basically double that. I'd be curious to get these on the scales and see what the real difference is.
I was curious as well and so far, this is what I found:

3.6L Pentastar = 326 lbs
2.0L I4 Turbo =
3.0L EcoDiese =
6.4L Hemi = 500 lbs
5.7L Hemi = 560 lbs

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yeah I’m looking forward to your off road review as well. Just trying to determine realistically what I’m going to do with my 392 when it arrives. I’ll be going camping quite a bit but between the low MPG and the cost, I wonder how far I’ll be willing to take it?

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

To ThatTXJeepGuy, I must say that I fully agree with your assessment of the 2021 Rubicon 392. I picked mine up on 5/6/21 and have just over 1,600 miles on it. It's Sarge green which the dealer tells me is a rarely ordered color. Unlike you, my experience has been no one knows what I'm driving, but they do become aware that this is no ordinary Rubicon when they're being overtaken. Even with the exhaust button off, when you get on it the beast roars.

Recently went to spectate at Lime Rock Park racetrack and the guy taking our tickets said, "Oh, is this one of those...?" Then I revved the engine twice to let him hear - he must have heard of the V-8 hemi coming out..

In my experience, I seem to be driving a unicorn with a tiger in the back. I have yet to see another 392 on the road, but I suspect my first sighting will be coming up.

With the exception of body roll, its road worthiness is very well mannered. Nice smooth ride and soft yet strong brakes to adequately decelerate. Since it is, at heart, an off-road trekker, the suspension is soft. My biggest criticism is the lack of an adaptive suspension system such as I have on a 2005 motorcycle. Trail (soft); Normal (medium); and Sport (firm) would satisfy me. I'm not asking fof the world, and by the way - I have the SAMEcriticism of a 2020 sports car I own.

My 392 is the first Jeep I ever purchased and I'm glad it is THIS one. Safe motoring - drive on.

PS - For off-roading, watch your oil drain plug and your exhaust h-pipe, both are low hangers.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Experience So Far... 20210506_153002

Awesome Jeep!! Any solutions your planning for the low oil pan? Rather safe than sorry.

Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I was curious as well and so far, this is what I found:

3.6L Pentastar = 326 lbs
2.0L I4 Turbo =
3.0L EcoDiese =
6.4L Hemi = 500 lbs
5.7L Hemi = 560 lbs
interesting. is the 5.7l really heavier than the 6.4? I don't know much about these motors. is the 5.7 an iron block?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link