Sponsored

392 Death Wobble @ 13,904 miles on the ODO

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
The WFO concepts new track bar design seems to be very nice and they are beefy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I use to want a sector brace but the feedback from the folks I know that have them hasn’t been good. Bad experiences with Steersmarts and Synergy braces (old and new versions).
What’s wrong with the MC trackbar?
Nothing wrong with it. Just want to build up the front end to stronger components.

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
The wife's was bone stock with 20k the first time it happened. New steering stabilizer fixed it then. Since then there have been many mods and been dealing with it for awhile. Wished I'd replaced these sooner.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Are you more likely to get DW with factory suspension or just with a lift? Or you are going to get it regardless.
Eventually, the OEM components will need to be replaced, usually the bushing in the trackbars wears out first. With a lift and heavier tires, it accelerates the failure of the ball joints, along with heavy off road driving.

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
99.9% something is loose and easy fix
Your post reminded me of a great YT video, .

Good to check all the bolts on the steering and suspension components periodically.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
The wife's was bone stock with 20k the first time it happened. New steering stabilizer fixed it then. Since then there have been many mods and been dealing with it for awhile. Wished I'd replaced these sooner.
Steering stabilizer just usually masks the problem. On my 2014 JK, the death wobble actually sheered off the steering stabilizer bracket. I will never forget looking at the driver in the lane next to me while in the midst of death wobble. The look on her face was hilarious, probably wondering if my JK was going to rattle apart while driving next to her.

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
She thought the dash was gonna fall off😄Agreed, unfortunately when it's under warranty they always look for the cheap fix and because of the updated steering stabilizer TSB that was the route taken. It worked for a little while...

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I use to want a sector brace but the feedback from the folks I know that have them hasn’t been good. Bad experiences with Steersmarts and Synergy braces (old and new versions).
What’s wrong with the MC trackbar?
Hmm. Not heard of the downside. But I have heard the sector brace takes out some of the play in steering and provides stronger support for the steering system, particularly important when aired down and rock crawling.

Have you found info on this forum suggesting to stay away from the sector shaft, drag link upgrade?

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. Not heard of the downside. But I have heard the sector brace takes out some of the play in steering and provides stronger support for the steering system, particularly important when aired down and rock crawling.

Have you found info on this forum suggesting to stay away from the sector shaft, drag link upgrade?
There are a few threads on the issues that folks on here have had with both sectors and my local shop has also removed them. I’m not a steers smart fan for a few reasons not saying they make bad stuff I just don’t like their designs. I like solid bars not 2-3 bolted together.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
What fixed your DW or are you still avoiding potholes?
I’m not sure I would classify it as DW. It happened 2x within 5 minutes and I’ve hit more potholes than I can remember since without issue :fingerscrossed: Subscribing to see what parts people will get when OEM eventually wears out.

Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
You can't really blame the jeep or the manufacturer for death wobble unless you have it happening on a fully stock vehicle. Almost all wobbles are caused by worn/faulty components, or poor installation.

Underinflated tires, especially larger ones, or unbalanced wheels can easily cause shakes too. Check those, then all your suspension bushings and bolts for play. Adding or beefing up things isn't going to solve anything, just potentially mask the problem and make it even worse down the line.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have never heard of an issue with the brace either. Now I've heard of incorrectly installed ones or improperly pre lubed ones but never an issue.

There are a few threads on the issues that folks on here have had with both sectors and my local shop has also removed them. I’m not a steers smart fan for a few reasons not saying they make bad stuff I just don’t like their designs. I like solid bars not 2-3 bolted together.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Woot woot! Happy to report that I made it to almost 14,000 miles on my 392 before experiencing death wobble. I should disclose the shakes started appearing a bit earlier. While the DW (death wobble, not dear wife) showed up much sooner on this build than prior builds, I have to say that the hemi under the hood is responsible for maybe a more spirited driving style on and off road than prior wrangler builds and hence the premature arrival of my old friend.

I see new 1 ton ball joints and a track bar in my future. Cyber Monday and lingering Black Friday deals look out.

Interested to hear how many miles before others experienced DW on your 392?

Build in the sig includes 37s and MetalCloak GC 3.5” lift.
Was your 392 modified in any way, leading up to the DW? Wheels, tires, suspension, axles, anything?

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Woot woot! Happy to report that I made it to almost 14,000 miles on my 392 before experiencing death wobble. I should disclose the shakes started appearing a bit earlier. While the DW (death wobble, not dear wife) showed up much sooner on this build than prior builds, I have to say that the hemi under the hood is responsible for maybe a more spirited driving style on and off road than prior wrangler builds and hence the premature arrival of my old friend.

I see new 1 ton ball joints and a track bar in my future. Cyber Monday and lingering Black Friday deals look out.

Interested to hear how many miles before others experienced DW on your 392?

Build in the sig includes 37s and MetalCloak GC 3.5” lift.
I have a 392 that's sitting in D1 but I've had my current JLUR since 2019. Like you, my DW issues started as a shimmy around the 14k mile mark. Here's a write up I did for how I finally solved it. It's kind of a long read but I hope it helps!
Sponsored