OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I never ever hear it on the road. Or in 2 high. Maybe slightly in 4H, maybe. The only time I hear it is in low range above 10-15 mph.
Sponsored

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Minor update after 2,000 or so miles. Despite routing the site tube to the far side, it was starting to melt from the exhaust heat (factory exhaust).

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3637

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3635

Today I made a heat shield out of some OE heat shielding I harvested from a junkyard a couple years ago. I used to of the factory heat shield nuts to hold it up. You can’t see the front one, but it’s at least metal (rear wing nut is plastic). This should help prevent any further issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3795
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3793
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3794
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3796
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Atlas transfer case install IMG_3797

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Just a FYI its better to wrap the hose with T6 THERMASHIELD

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
If I was going to do that, I might as well just cap off the site tube. Because it would be useless at that point. Unless they have a Velcro option?

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
its comes in 4' sections, the site tube is just used on fill so no need to look at it again till you drain and refill in 500 miles then however many mile intervals after that. 4" will last ya years..
Good idea to wrap other lines esp any near the exhaust. I wraped everything including my exhaust plus under neath the body. Also dynamated every inch of the interior.

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
What are you doing for programming to keep the Jeep happy without the stock tcase plugged in?
I covered that in this thread. I replaced the transfer case control module.

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392 XR - 2022 Power Wagon
Your work is awesome. Thank you for doing this thread, you have answered many of my questions/ concerns.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
it was DEFINITELY releasing on me without slipping. I was monitoring the TCase torque lockup and it was going from like 1100ish nm force to zero instantly.

I even drained the case when I got home and there was zero burnt smell and fluid looked new.
The clutch lock disengages at higher speeds for people who forget they left it in 4hi.

As for clutches being bad off road, we also have clutches in our transmissions. Not sure I agree with the “clutches = bad”

IMO the atlas case would be kinda pointless IF we could tune the transfer case. Granted we don’t have a lot of data on this particular case, but the clutch based transfer cases are pretty robust in modern pickup trucks. I’ve never heard of a 4auto clutch pack failure even in highly modified drag pickups. I haven’t seen much info on failures while wheeling in the jeeps or pickups.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
It was disengaging on me at speeds under 30mph, but under heavy throttle/wheel speed. I’ve never paid attention to my speedometer in the dunes when the wheels are spinning. But the jeep should be smart enough to sense wheel speed and NOT disengage 4wd. I’m not willing to fiddle with it and wait for someone to figure out how to out tune the dumb factory transfer case programming. It was also disengaging when using the Tazer to disable traction control. Again, I wasn’t willing to wait for programmers to figure it out.

On top of all the computer issues, there have been documented cases of mechanically failures with them and needing a warranty replacement. Again, not worth the headache to figure out.

I was the first person in the world to have an Atlas in a factory 392 and I’m super happy to have it.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
It was disengaging on me at speeds under 30mph, but under heavy throttle/wheel speed. I’ve never paid attention to my speedometer in the dunes when the wheels are spinning. But the jeep should be smart enough to sense wheel speed and NOT disengage 4wd. I’m not willing to fiddle with it and wait for someone to figure out how to out tune the dumb factory transfer case programming. It was also disengaging when using the Tazer to disable traction control. Again, I wasn’t willing to wait for programmers to figure it out.

On top of all the computer issues, there have been documented cases of mechanically failures with them and needing a warranty replacement. Again, not worth the headache to figure out.

I was the first person in the world to have an Atlas in a factory 392 and I’m super happy to have it.
I get it, I wouldn’t wait around on a tune either if I needed 4wd at higher speeds.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I get it, I wouldn’t wait around on a tune either if I needed 4wd at higher speeds.
The 392 has different programming than the 4xe for the mp3022. It doesn’t have a 2hi. That is why, IMHO, the 392 is having t-case problems and the 4xe is not. Thus an atlas for the 392…

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
The 392 has different programming than the 4xe for the mp3022. It doesn’t have a 2hi. That is why, IMHO, the 392 is having t-case problems and the 4xe is not. Thus an atlas for the 392…
Sure enough I googled it and several people with the 392 are having issues. Learn something everyday.

DJ-Crush

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392
I did the computer stuff today. And things appear to be working well. I’ve never dealt with the AlphaOBD software and I had no idea what I was doing. I used a Vgate vLinker with cables to plug it into the SGW ports (same place the Tazer plugs in) and connected to that via bluetooth with my Windows laptop. First I unmarried the Tazer (I have no idea if that was needed, but it’s what I did). Once I got the AlphaOBD software to connect to the Jeep, I spent close to 30 minutes fiddling around with the software to try and figure out what I was doing.

Under the “Active Diagnostic” tab, I then selected “Car Configuration Change” and then searched for Transfer Case. That brought up this list of options. I chose 241 (it was set for 246), and just clicked next.
034FDA90-E512-434C-AEAC-BEC08DD45E63.jpeg

BCCDC7B6-F65B-46FB-91E0-D733F584B768.jpeg

Once I was done, under the main menu, I read the system status (or ID, I can’t remember) again and scrolled down and can see that is shows correctly in there now as well (it showed 246 before)-
CE4945CF-F64D-4D52-B354-235988E6E59F.jpeg

Once that was complete, I cycled the ignition and then remarried the Tazer and reconfirmed all my settings there as well as changing the Tcase ratio to 3.030 as directed for the Atlas. I had to clear the fault codes twice and do the two Tazer sleep cycles.

Then I did a short test drive at my house in front wheel drive (I still don’t have a rear driveline). Everything appears to work as designed and there where no weird dash lights when I put it back in the shop 👏🏼

Tom Woods should be calling tomorrow to confirm driveline specs (my old one landed at their shop Saturday), and I’ll likely have it back before the end of the week. Unfortunately (and fortunately), I leave Saturday for a Sprint Break vacation. Hopefully I’ll get to drive it officially before we leave town, I’m definitely anxious to!

One other minor detail I need to finish up is the shifter boot. Advance provides a good option to reuse the factory one, with decent instructions. I still need to do that, but not in a huge rush. (So I won’t have the top stickers on the shift knobs until that’s done.) I’m also waiting on new blocks and barrel nuts for the shift cables from Advance. Mine were not the proper tolerance, but I made them work for now. Once I have those, I will also adjust them to make the shifters line up more evenly.
052EBD60-878C-425E-877D-ED8E428BB8B1.jpeg
@1996cc ... Crush here :) Love your build !! Excellent Job !! I just ordered mine from Advanced Adapters .... & I had a couple Q's for you:

1. The Transfer Case Control Module (DTCM). you ordered ? You said year specific ? ... My 392 is a 2023 ... Therefore I would order one for a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2023 ? ...

2. The software you used to re-program it. AlphaOBD ? do you have a link for the Vgate vLinker set up ? I saw on the website they recommended: the OBDLINK MX+ ? https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/ref/alfaobd/
& the ? or OBDLINK EX

Thank you in advance !! I just don't want to order the wrong things ya know .... I am tackling this build ... but I won't lie ! Im a little nervous ;) ..... It came about because ... my 392 transfer case with 20,000 miles on it ...started to fail :( Jeep said ... yes it is covered under warranty but it would probably take 6 months !! to rebuild !! WHAT !! that is nuts !! & they had a queue of 6 other jeeps before mine...... Im sure I can do it in a couple days .... ya know !

Thank you :)

Crush ..
Sponsored