Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think I made up my mind and might try it tonight. I'll tape off the corner area I want to trim off, draw my cut on the tape, use a cutting wheel to remove the corner and then use a grinder to shape it and smooth it out....prime, paint. Sounds easy enough. Its not like the rear of the tub is going to completely come apart, right?!?!?! LOL
I did this on mine, it’s not to bad to do, the only extra thing I did was fill the pinch with j b weld, sanded and painted it.

ECE91DAE-ECA6-421F-8F98-9B5C1F21921F.jpeg
9491D614-C846-4578-A4A7-6F8AAB343580.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah let me know what/how you do it!
Not bad for a quick hack job. In actuality, I cut about an inch off the corner but after using the sanding wheel to sculpt it, about an additional 1/2 was removed. Sanded, primed and painted with just some satin black for the time being.

IMG_20190603_162526.jpg

0603191449~2.jpg

0603191456~2.jpg

0603191523~2.jpg

0603191552~2.jpg

0603191553~2.jpg

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did this on mine, it’s not to bad to do, the only extra thing I did was fill the pinch with j b weld, sanded and painted it.

ECE91DAE-ECA6-421F-8F98-9B5C1F21921F.jpeg
9491D614-C846-4578-A4A7-6F8AAB343580.jpeg
Great idea using the JBweld in the cut. I'll have to add that.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks,

Yeah I am trying to avoid the drag link vs frame fight, lol. Thanks for the info. I have a message out to roam, they say their flip link will work on a stock height JLUR, I will keep you posted on my finds. FYI, the flip link made a huge difference on being able to turn while locked up in 4 low, all the way tell it hits the frame, lol! Might be time to sell the flip link and go hydro.
The ROAM draglink flip easily clears the frame on my setup with a couple inches to spare :beer:

20190401_175920~2.jpg

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
The ROAM draglink flip easily clears the frame on my setup with a couple inches to spare :beer:

20190401_175920~2.jpg
Good to know! How long have you had it? How is the quality?
Thanks for the info.
Also how did you purchase it? Says it out of stock on the website, Went to their contact tab and sent them an email with no response and they don't provide a phone number, just a note saying to email. Makes me a little iffy and worried about customer service if there a issue down the road.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not talking about the fender FLARES. I’m talking about the actual fenders where he has to cut the bottom metal corner hitting his rear tire.
I think I made up my mind and might try it tonight. I'll tape off the corner area I want to trim off, draw my cut on the tape, use a cutting wheel to remove the corner and then use a grinder to shape it and smooth it out....prime, paint. Sounds easy enough. Its not like the rear of the tub is going to completely come apart, right?!?!?! LOL
just curious, why cut instead of bend?

im considering this mod too, but my 37s tuck JUST right on the lift - i have yet to offroad it though...

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know! How long have you had it? How is the quality?
Thanks for the info.
Also how did you purchase it? Says it out of stock on the website, Went to their contact tab and sent them an email with no response and they don't provide a phone number, just a note saying to email. Makes me a little iffy and worried about customer service if there a issue down the road.
I've had their draglink on my JL for about a year now. I was one of their early product "testers", so I did not pay for it. The version I have on in that picture does not have the forged ends. I recently received/installed what I believe is their production version that has forged ends with pre-load adjustment for the balljoints. Both pre-production, and production parts I received are really nice/quality parts
The Roam kit does have you drill the knuckle, but they include a nice jig that makes it extremely easy even with a battery operated drill. If you've ever hand drilled a JK knuckle you know how much of a pain in the ass it is. The new alloy knuckle with the jig makes it a 5 minute job.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but with 40's I had to cut a little in front of the wheel as well. This picture was taken before I added bumpstops, but now I'm limited my the top of the seam. I didn't want to cut into that just to gain 1/4-1/2" more travel(Where my coilovers would bottom out). The red marks are approx where I cut.
flex after cut2.jpg

DSC_1321.jpg

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
just curious, why cut instead of bend?

im considering this mod too, but my 37s tuck JUST right on the lift - i have yet to offroad it though...
I figured that by cutting and grinding that I would be able to shape the line better than by folding the corners. Also didnt want to risk spider cracking the paint at the fold, whereas on a cut, it's easier to clean up the area to prevent future paint damage in my opinion.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I figured that by cutting and grinding that I would be able to shape the line better than by folding the corners. Also didnt want to risk spider cracking the paint at the fold, whereas on a cut, it's easier to clean up the area to prevent future paint damage in my opinion.
i guess youre right, you could cut that as cold as possible to keep as much of the paint intact as possible. i could really damage the paint if the bend doesnt go exactly as planned.

thanks,

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m stuffed in there pretty good, so I plan on leaving that lunch weld intact for the foreseeable future.

6118C67E-FF8E-4C6A-A29B-C1AE4DF88278.jpeg

EDIT: i realize this does not fit in this thread - sorry this is 37s and no lift with stock bumps

Sponsored

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
I’m stuffed in there pretty good, so I plan on leaving that lunch weld intact for the foreseeable future.

6118C67E-FF8E-4C6A-A29B-C1AE4DF88278.jpeg

EDIT: i realize this does not fit in this thread - sorry this is 37s and no lift with stock bumps
Off topic, what are the specs on the Hutchinson wheels? I have been on the fence on buying a set, do you like them?

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic, what are the specs on the Hutchinson wheels? I have been on the fence on buying a set, do you like them?
i like them alot. the low pressure capability is great!! the peace of mind at single digit air pressures several hours away from home is great.
these are 17x8 with 4.63" backspacing. they are expensive and heavy, but they definitely serve a purpose as a easily balanced, DOT approved, true double bead lock.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a good back spacing shot for your review.

F720EBD4-64FD-4CE1-AB12-25B6EEA1F9D6.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to mention what I used to paint pinch seam with, this is spot on color match.

DBF5668B-7F53-4089-9C39-E7825C60CE1F.jpeg
Sponsored