Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nice ride man, does It fit on your garage? Would you happen to know how high of your Jeep? Thanx
Thanks! It was about 79-80" with those 38's. I don't garage mine, but I do run into parking garages in my travels and like having the longer factory antenna that serves as an early warning.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No other issues so far. I went Dynatrac because I wanted the wider axles. Mine are 72.5" width.
I've been starting to look into axles for a future upgrade, but keep retreating from the topic because it brings up a lot of extra questions. High pinion, low pinion, full float, etc. I just haven't had time to individually research the advantage/disadvantage of those to see if they'd benefit my specific setup. I do know that I'd opt for 5.13's and arb lockers. And the idea of wider axles and less backspace would certainly benefit scrub radius. Hearing that Dynatrac is the only one who offers wider than factory Rubicon axles is starting to make that choice easier.

Going from 38's to 40's has taught me where the line in the sand is for my setup combined with the 2.0/8-speed combo. The Jeep felt just fine with the 38's and 4.10's, but the 40's are wanting shorter gears. I'm just not crazy about the idea of shorter gears and the d44's ring gear diameter.

The main reason for going with the larger tires, was to maximize axle to ground clearance and all of the up and over angles. Most of the offroad parks in the northeast are filled with boulders and paths turned into rock gardens.

Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 20211013_132632
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 20211014_133132

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I've been starting to look into axles for a future upgrade, but keep retreating from the topic because it brings up a lot of extra questions. High pinion, low pinion, full float, etc. I just haven't had time to individually research the advantage/disadvantage of those to see if they'd benefit my specific setup. I do know that I'd opt for 5.13's and arb lockers. And the idea of wider axles and less backspace would certainly benefit scrub radius. Hearing that Dynatrac is the only one who offers wider than factory Rubicon axles is starting to make that choice easier.

Going from 38's to 40's has taught me where the line in the sand is for my setup combined with the 2.0/8-speed combo. The Jeep felt just fine with the 38's and 4.10's, but the 40's are wanting shorter gears. I'm just not crazy about the idea of shorter gears and the d44's ring gear diameter.

The main reason for going with the larger tires, was to maximize axle to ground clearance and all of the up and over angles. Most of the offroad parks in the northeast are filled with boulders and paths turned into rock gardens.
There are a few other options for wider axles. Currie, Fusion, and Spidertrax all do custom width axles. If you ever wanted help in making some decisions my opinion is free and you don't have to take it. 😎

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few other options for wider axles. Currie, Fusion, and Spidertrax all do custom width axles. If you ever wanted help in making some decisions my opinion is free and you don't have to take it. 😎
Currie is the other one that has caught my eye.

You've put together a great Jeep, and I always see the value in your posts on this forum. I'd definitely be interested in your thoughts. I'm gonna start an axle discussion thread soon, so I'll reach out to you after I start it. I just need to brush up on some of the varying design traits so I can competently hold my own in a conversation. Thanks for offering a helping hand, buddy!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Currie is the other one that has caught my eye.

You've put together a great Jeep, and I always see the value in your posts on this forum. I'd definitely be interested in your thoughts. I'm gonna start an axle discussion thread soon, so I'll reach out to you after I start it. I just need to brush up on some of the varying design traits so I can competently hold my own in a conversation. Thanks for offering a helping hand, buddy!
Well now that you have your MC lift right where you want it you may as well start looking at long arm kit while swapping axles 😉

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well now that you have your MC lift right where you want it you may as well start looking at long arm kit while swapping axles 😉
Yeah, that definitely part of the equation. Like when doing ball joints, it only makes sense to also do knuckles and axle shafts while you're in there.

Supposedly, Metalcloak is coming out with a 4.5" long arm kit. I'm interested in seeing how it compares to Rock Krawlers setup. As much as I'm loving MC, that's a big act to follow.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that definitely part of the equation. Like when doing ball joints, it only makes sense to also do knuckles and axle shafts while you're in there.

Supposedly, Metalcloak is coming out with a 4.5" long arm kit. I'm interested in seeing how it compares to Rock Krawlers setup. As much as I'm loving MC, that's a big act to follow.
That would be nice kit. Would have to believe it will be quality with their rep.
Pretty sure @Roky will still speak to you if choose MC long arm over RK 😂

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That would be nice kit. Would have to believe it will be quality with their rep.
Pretty sure @Roky will still speak to you if choose MC long arm over RK 😂
It would actually take a lot to make me not go with the Rock Krawler hybrid 3-link kit like Roky has. It's a phenomenal setup and RK already has a year or so of time with it out in the public, which is the best place to fine tune it.

Shit!!! This threads gonna get me in some serious trouble. 😆

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubincon JL 2DR
Got a great deal on some Nitto Ridge Grappler 38X12.50R17 (Load C) on Teraflex Nomads. I am currently researching all of the wisdom on the forum regarding fender clearance strategies. Currently running Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Base Lift Kit, 9550 VSS Twin-Tube Shocks, front HD forged drag link, rear trackbar axle bracket, front control arm brackets, Falcon Nexus EF 2.2, and a Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace.
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger IMG_4591

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got a great deal on some Nitto Ridge Grappler 38X12.50R17 (Load C) on Teraflex Nomads. I am currently researching all of the wisdom on the forum regarding fender clearance strategies. Currently running Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Base Lift Kit, 9550 VSS Twin-Tube Shocks, front HD forged drag link, rear trackbar axle bracket, front control arm brackets, Falcon Nexus EF 2.2, and a Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace.
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger IMG_4591
Chopping the factory fenders is a relatively easy way to gain about 3.5" of clearance in the front wheelwells and 2-2.5" in the rears. Also, your rear pinch seams on the backsides of the rear wheelwells will probably need some trimming.

Here's the video I used as a guide, back when I chopped my fenders, courtesy of American Adventure Labs. I also installed their front fender braces, front and rear liners, and fender retention hardware kits.

And here's an older pic of my JLUR, back when I still had a 2" lift and just put on the 38's...
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 20200525_143857

Sponsored

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 2022-11-12-10-50-45-646

2.5" metalcloak springs with 0.75" spacer in front and 0.5" in the rear. Rubicon fenders with the fronts chopped. 38" Patagonias.

Reactions: J0E

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Headbarcode Do you have a build thread? What suspension are you on now?
Currently, my 19 JLUR has the 4.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger with the 6-packs. It actually gave 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear. It's been absolutely awesome both on and off road.

Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 20220806_091606

I have a "vehicle showcase" that can be found by clicking on my user name at the top of this post.

I also made a thread titled "the road so far", but it's just my rattling off what I've done and some conversation. I almost never take pics during installations because of time constraints. Usually just pics of the pile of stuff that's about to go on that day. And before and after shots of my Jeep.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
All my specs are in my signature.
Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 1669043044115

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Currently, my 19 JLUR has the 4.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger with the 6-packs. It actually gave 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear. It's been absolutely awesome both on and off road.

Jeep Wrangler JL 38" tires and larger 1669043044115

I have a "vehicle showcase" that can be found by clicking on my user name at the top of this post.

I also made a thread titled "the road so far", but it's just my rattling off what I've done and some conversation. I almost never take pics during installations because of time constraints. Usually just pics of the pile of stuff that's about to go on that day. And before and after shots of my Jeep.
I just ordered those springs, that’s a lot of lift! Did you flip your draglink?
Sponsored