Sponsored

38" Patagonias VS 37" KO2s. Pics and opinions inside....

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Hey Guys,

Let me say a couple things first...… Few things on my vehicles are as important to me as tires. I am willing to pay almost anything to get the tire that I feel fits my needs the best. I have extensive time with ALL of the major tire manufacturers. IMO, there is no better "all around" tire for a Jeep than the KO2. They are quiet (almost silent), balance good, handle good, excellent in the snow and rain, hold their own offroad and they are light. The disadvantages for me are that they run small, are not the best in mud or DEEP snow and are not offered in anything larger than a 37. Looks are subjective but they don't look "super" aggressive.

The KO2s measured out to 35.25" on an 8.5" wide wheel sitting on my jeep at 26 PSI. I wanted to try a larger tire. After reading about them for 6 months I decided to drink the Kool Aid and order a set of 38" Patagonias based only on other opinions. (I never do that). I got them from Northridge 4x4 and paid their full retail price for them. They were great to work with and shipped them quickly. Different people have different tolerances for how a tire balances and feels on the road. These two things are very important to me and honestly had me nervous.

Here is my initial review... I have only had them on for 2 days and I will update as they get worn in.

The worst tire of the 5 only took 6 ounces to balance.
They roll just as smooth as my KO2s did.
They seem to handle just as good as my KO2s did.
They are just slightly louder than my KO2s. (which is amazing to me)
They are better in the snow than my KO2s. (also amazing.... but they are brand new)
They are about 15 lbs heavier than the KO2s.
Mounted on an 8.5" wheel on the jeep at 25PSI they measure right at 37".

Coming from a guy that is extremely picky about tires what I can say right now is "so far so good". Acceleration and braking were both effected but not near as much as I though they would be. Credit to the JL here. Take all of this for what its worth..... just another opinion. YMMV and I reserve the right to change my opinion down the road.

Here are some pics. In the side by side pic with the KO2 they are both mounted on my 8.5' wide wheels.

pats4.jpg
pats1.jpg
pats3.jpg
pats5.jpg
pats6.jpg
pats7.jpg
pats8.jpg

-Eli
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've have two sets and like them a lot.

To be fair, they are more of an aggressive AT or AT/MT hybrid, and I think that is why people like them so much.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great, I love the 38s!
I am right with you. Price is not my main concern. I didn’t buy a 50k Jeep to worry about saving $300 on tires. I bought the 317 70 R17 and I am real happy so far with the performance. The true test for me will be this summer at the sand dunes. Love the looks of the tire as well. Don’t go to other sites to read on them however, all the Trolls who have never used them come out and try to discredit them to the point they will try to make you look stupid. What I can say is you will have a hard time finding anyone that has any significant miles on them and does a review say anything bad about them. It is all good things. It’s great to keep an open mind. I don’t think anyone is saying this is the best of the best as that is real subjective, but it sure seems to be great hybrid tire. Exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Just FYI, I had to take off the ends of my front bumper. I kept them on most of the time because they kept trees off of my fenders. The 38s hit them when the suspension is compressed.

-Eli

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
What kind of gearing are you pushing these with?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem with the Milestar is the consistency. I've run 2 sets completely, a third for a short time and I just put a 4th set on two different Jeeps. On the first 2 sets my opinion would have been in line with yours. The third set just wouldn't balance so Discount Tire replaced them with NTGs, which i love. When my wife's Jeep needed a new set of tires 2 weeks ago I wanted to try the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT but they are impossible to find, as with most tires right now. Since we are going on a big trip i had to get her new tires and the only ones available were the Milestars. Well OK, Milestars it is. Although nervous, they balanced out fine. So that's good news.

You should expect to get about 25K miles out of them, which is in line with other MTs but definitely not as many miles as ATs. They are better offroad than ATs (especially in mud), but not even on the same planet as Nitto Trail Grapplers or other legit MTs.

At the end of the day, they are a good tire for the price especially if you're not doing heavy wheeling. In my area they are $100 less expensive than pretty much anything else (37s).

PS- The light weight of the the Milestars, compared to MTs, def helps with fuel mileage.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
You should just go ahead and get the 39x13.50 BFG KM3s……
Sponsored