37's to 38's, I am now worshipping the Patagonia throne

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
ChattVol, Erik, Carlton... So you guys running 120lbs + some pounds of wheel and tire weight... is it a huge power robber? Or the advantage of beadlocks out weighs:))) the disadvantages?
I'm running Teraflex Nomad wheels. They weigh 30 lbs, for a total of 108 lbs.
They are supposed to supply near beadlock performance...
We'll see, I've aired down to 10 psi with no problems so far.
The tires are so smooth on the road, that I don't really notice much difference from 35's.
I've only gone through 2 tankfuls of gas without significant wheeling in the last 6 months.
Mostly rocks out here in the desert.
I drive carefully and precisely, and have been able to crawl through and climb some difficult obstacles.
No "sending it" with stock axles.
I'm very happy with the added clearance and traction.
Sponsored

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
I would get your JLUR diesel and wheel it stock a few times and learn what you need. The lockers and 4.10 gears are a meaningful upgrade over your wife's sport and will make it more capable.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend running beadlocks on a new jeep living in FL driving 13k miles a year and only offroading a few times a year. I'd look at a 2.5" or 3.5" lift and 37s and wheel for awhile long before looking at beadlocks. It also depends alot on your finances.
I bought some used KMC XD229 machete's that I was considering using, but might sell them.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I would not recommend bead locks on a daily driver. However, there are many people that do it.

As for power loss, the 8 speed auto does great. You don't notice much of a difference. With the JK weight made a huge difference.

From looking at Jeep.com, it looks like the Diesel comes with 3.73 gears rather than 4.10 gears. This may make it feel sluggish. The torque of the diesel may offset this but I haven't driven one to know.
Yes Diesel will be running 3.73"s stock... I was thinking the same thing, that the Diesel's torque would offset/not notice the weight as easily.. I guess we will see.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running Teraflex Nomad wheels. They weigh 30 lbs, for a total of 108 lbs.
They are supposed to supply near beadlock performance...
We'll see, I've aired down to 10 psi with no problems so far.
The tires are so smooth on the road, that I don't really notice much difference from 35's.
I've only gone through 2 tankfuls of gas without significant wheeling in the last 6 months.
Mostly rocks out here in the desert.
I drive carefully and precisely, and have been able to crawl through and climb some difficult obstacles.
No "sending it" with stock axles.
I'm very happy with the added clearance and traction.
We were surprised we were able to do every trail we tried with her JLUS w/anti spin 3.45 gears, Mopar lift and 35 patagonia's! we aired down to 12psi with no problems with the stock Rubicon wheels.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I bought some used KMC XD229 machete's that I was considering using, but might sell them.
If you're easily running all the trails you tried with her sport, why are you wanting beadlocks?

By the way, I'm running the xd229's.

Sponsored

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're easily running all the trails you tried with her sport, why are you wanting beadlocks?

By the way, I'm running the xd229's

By the way, I'm running the xd229's.
ChattVol... I got a question on the XD229 my hub bore center on them is 78.30mm ...do i need 78mm/71.5 Hub Rings?
And only reason I was looking at running aftermarket wheels on mine was clearance(taller/wider tires), so I don't scrape on rocks as much as we do with 35's. and with my concern of running a wider than recommended tire on the factory oem rims.. i locally looked on Marketplace and saw these and grabbed them, someone local was going from D44's to D60/D80 Swap and they didn't work for him anymore.
I also don't think her Sport would do as well on the East coast wheeling as it does on slick rock(we would love to come up and wheel with you guys sometime!) ... How do you like your XD229's and what made you decide to go with them?

Sorry we took this thread from PATAGONIA"s which rock by the way, to Tire and Wheel weight questions.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
ChattVol... I got a question on the XD229 my hub bore center on them is 78.30mm ...do i need 78mm/71.5 Hub Rings?
And only reason I was looking at running aftermarket wheels on mine was clearance(taller/wider tires), so I don't scrape on rocks as much as we do with 35's. and with my concern of running a wider than recommended tire on the factory oem rims.. i locally looked on Marketplace and saw these and grabbed them, someone local was going from D44's to D60/D80 Swap and they didn't work for him anymore.
I also don't think her Sport would do as well on the East coast wheeling as it does on slick rock(we would love to come up and wheel with you guys sometime!) ... How do you like your XD229's and what made you decide to go with them?

Sorry we took this thread from PATAGONIA"s which rock by the way, to Tire and Wheel weight questions.
I'll PM you

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Been beating myself up all week trying to decide if I would just stick to 35s on my new JLUR or just jump right into 37s....until I realized the price difference is FOUR dollars.

Drivetrain concerns aside, am I missing something here?

upload_2020-1-22_11-27-15.png

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Been beating myself up all week trying to decide if I would just stick to 35s on my new JLUR or just jump right into 37s....until I realized the price difference is FOUR dollars.

Doesn't look like it. Move quick prices tend to jump around often.

Sponsored

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

What web site is that?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What web site is that?
Looks like one of the these two
dicounttiredirect.com
discounttire.com
dicount tire direct is typically cheaper, but they just ship them out to you. Discount tire can install them in their stores

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I'm in CA so it redirects to americastire.com for me
Sponsored