37s on non-Rubicon, any issues?

GeepNee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Still new at this Jeep scene and enjoying all the pics and discussion on the threads. I have a 2020 Sahara "Altitude". Ready for some mods. I've called and spoke to several different places for lifts and wheels and tires. I don't intend to do any hard core off-roading, but some off roading and i do want to put 37s and a 2.5" lift. But the places and ppl I've spoken to, has advised me not to use 37s because of the strain and tension if would give my axles, joints, etc. I really don't want to put 35s because it doesn't look right IMO.

Has anyone w 37s on a non-Rubi, experienced any issues with their set up?

I'm looking into either the MetalClock 2.5 Game Changer set up with the 37x12.5x17 Fuel Coverts.

Panda Jeep 1.JPG
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Still new at this Jeep scene and enjoying all the pics and discussion on the threads. I have a 2020 Sahara "Altitude". Ready for some mods. I've called and spoke to several different places for lifts and wheels and tires. I don't intend to do any hard core off-roading, but some off roading and i do want to put 37s and a 2.5" lift. But the places and ppl I've spoken to, has advised me not to use 37s because of the strain and tension if would give my axles, joints, etc. I really don't want to put 35s because it doesn't look right IMO.

I'm looking into either the MetalClock 2.5 Game Changer set up with the 37x12.5x17 Fuel Coverts.

Panda Jeep 1.JPG
i agree 37s will be a lot for the front axle on that jeep. Plus the gear ratio isn’t ideal, she will be a dog on the highway.

id stick with 35s personally

or go for the 37s and upgrade as needed, but those upgrades (axles/gearing etc) aren’t cheap

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
^^ agreed go with 35’s as the 37’s are too much tire.

Sounds like the shops you’ve already spoken to have honest people, who have given you proper advice.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Panda Jeep 1.JPG
GeepNee - First I think you should consider a 3.5" lift at minimum for 37s - 37s on 2.5" with Sahara flares may look a little full. Plenty of folks on her doing exactly as you describe. One member on here you should check out his setup in the garage is NTX Black Moab - Great looking rig. It is a great setup and according to some of his post is very capable. I have the Mopar lift on my Sport S which appears to be about 3-3.5" gain. I also plan to add 37s (if I could get my shop to get delivered UGH) soon. I wanted a little more clearance from an appearance standpoint so I swapped out flares to the Rubicon flares and had them paint matched. There will be concerns with gearing as you will read throughtout many post but as many have suggested "try it first". Hope this helps.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
GeepNee - First I think you should consider a 3.5" lift at minimum for 37s - 37s on 2.5" with Sahara flares may look a little full. Plenty of folks on her doing exactly as you describe. One member on here you should check out his setup in the garage is NTX Black Moab - Great looking rig. It is a great setup and according to some of his post is very capable. I have the Mopar lift on my Sport S which appears to be about 3-3.5" gain. I also plan to add 37s (if I could get my shop to get delivered UGH) soon. I wanted a little more clearance from an appearance standpoint so I swapped out flares to the Rubicon flares and had them paint matched. There will be concerns with gearing as you will read throughtout many post but as many have suggested "try it first". Hope this helps.
This^^^, here’s my Sahara I used to have on a 3.5” lift and 35s, imho, 35s and 2.5” looks the best on non-Rubi models.
93853A46-AA38-454E-A943-9B28E3DDEB24.jpeg

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This^^^, here’s my Sahara I used to have on a 3.5” lift and 35s, imho, 35s and 2.5” looks the best on non-Rubi models.
93853A46-AA38-454E-A943-9B28E3DDEB24.jpeg
Very nice looking Sahara. That looks like 12” wide -44 offset wheels :like:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice looking Sahara. That looks like 12” wide -44 offset wheels :like:
Thanks .... good eye.... I sold this to my buddy, and bought a Rubi. It better suits my needs.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks .... good eye.... I sold this to my buddy, and bought a Rubi. It better suits my needs.
A very nice Rubi for sure. Like seeing the action pics. Keep them coming

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
37s would be fine for running around town. I wouldn’t do 37s on a d30 off-road though.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
37s will look neato on you jeep. You should also think about the Milstar 38s. Very cool. But 40s would be the ultimate awesomeness. You might have to give it a couple "skateboard kick offs" to get her going, but hey, tradeoffs ya know.

But seriously, there is a cascading effect of larger tires, which reaches more broadly across other components as the tire size gets bigger and bigger. You mentioned Metalcloak in Rancho Cordova. They know the Jeep suspension, steering, and driveline systems and can give you advice that you can bank on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeepNee

GeepNee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Thank you all for the feedback.

If I go with the 3.5 lift and 37s, would I need to change/replace my front drive shafts?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
If you use 37's you will also have to re-enforce the back door. The additional weight of the spare tire is likely to damage the hinges.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably pretty far down most people's list, that are considering a lift and big tires, is getting in and out easily. If you're tall and young, it may not be an issue for you. But if you are shorter, older, or have a lady that isn't 6ft tall or wears a skirt now and then, you may have to consider some kind of step.

Many years ago, my wife and I were going to a Christmas party for a horse club. My GMC 2500 was new and we were going in it. I jumped in and waited for her to get in. There was some cursing and finally she asked for help. She had a tight skirt on and couldn't step up into the truck. Next thing you know, there's some step rails under the tree. LOL.
Sponsored