Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
After reading through a lot of threads and going back and forth on how to go about swapping up to 37" tires on my 2 door Rubicon, I settled on the following, and am exceptionally happy with the results:
Nitto RidgeGrappler 37x12.5
Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift
Teraflex 2" bump stop kit
KMC XD137 17x9" wheels
MiniTaserJL (to reset tire size)

By staying with a minimal lift, I was able to get the clearance I need to clear the 37" tires (tiny amount of rub when the suspension is fully flexed and the wheel is turned as far as it will go, but nothing major) without having to change from my stock Rubicon shocks and with very minimal change to the driveshaft angle. In fact, the steering wheel didn't even need any adjustment- everything seems just about exactly as it was before the tire and wheel swap.

My goal was to fit 37s with minimal changes to the suspension- but still allow for offroading (I don't rock crawl, but I do hit the trails occasionally). This seems to do the job perfectly. The only thing I may change in the future is to reduce the height of the bump stop- because- based on how far we were able to flex things- it seems like we could go with less without creating contact with the fenders.

The Jeep definitely drives a bit differently with the 37s- the bumps in the road at highway speeds are more noticeable. However, it also feels like the Jeep tracks better. I mean, it bounces around a bit- but it seems to return itself to straight better. Kinda a fun ride (so far) actually!

I haven't made it into 8th gear yet, but the get up and go seems just as good as it was before- definitely not sluggish. I am VERY glad I decided to go 37 instead of 35 (I know I would have immediately regretted going with 35s). The most complicated thing about the install was the need to rip everything apart twice (on the first attempt, we realized my JL was missing the passenger upper coil isolator from the factory)! Glad I have running boards and grab handles (bit more of a step up into the cabin now)!

BEFORE
efda463fa65beb7ab3b3d4c9720d9e0c4b33adc2.jpg

AFTER
c8793effe062939dbe7fd4005af91806d2d9a931.jpg

2406a6f347224fe5f5a6798b28610b301b8362ea.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
seanjonesSUPERTRAMP said:
what aux lights are you running up front? looks good
Thanks- those are Auxbeam lights. https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-driving-Off-road-8000lm-lighting/dp/B01EHKPW6K

I installed four of them on the Jeep about a year ago, and have had a set of four on my Ranger for a couple years- all of them have worked perfectly. I just shoot a little bit of Plasti-Dip black over the white letters on the front of the light (which matches the finish on them perfectly). Can't beat them for the price and they throw a ton of light (the pattern is a combo spot/flood that I really like).

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
After reading through a lot of threads and going back and forth on how to go about swapping up to 37" tires on my 2 door Rubicon, I settled on the following, and am exceptionally happy with the results:
Nitto RidgeGrappler 37x12.5
Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift
Teraflex 2" bump stop kit
MiniTaserJL (to reset tire size)

By staying with a minimal lift, I was able to get the clearance I need to clear the 37" tires (tiny amount of rub when the suspension is fully flexed and the wheel is turned as far as it will go, but nothing major) without having to change from my stock Rubicon shocks and with very minimal change to the driveshaft angle. In fact, the steering wheel didn't even need any adjustment- everything seems just about exactly as it was before the tire and wheel swap.

My goal was to fit 37s with minimal changes to the suspension- but still allow for offroading (I don't rock crawl, but I do hit the trails occasionally). This seems to do the job perfectly. The only thing I may change in the future is to reduce the height of the bump stop- because- based on how far we were able to flex things- it seems like we could go with less without creating contact with the fenders.

The Jeep definitely drives a bit differently with the 37s- the bumps in the road at highway speeds are more noticeable. However, it also feels like the Jeep tracks better. I mean, it bounces around a bit- but it seems to return itself to straight better. Kinda a fun ride (so far) actually!

I haven't made it into 8th gear yet, but the get up and go seems just as good as it was before- definitely not sluggish. I am VERY glad I decided to go 37 instead of 35 (I know I would have immediately regretted going with 35s). The most complicated thing about the install was the need to rip everything apart twice (on the first attempt, we realized my JL was missing the passenger upper coil isolator from the factory)! Glad I have running boards and grab handles (bit more of a step up into the cabin now)!

BEFORE
efda463fa65beb7ab3b3d4c9720d9e0c4b33adc2.jpg

AFTER
c8793effe062939dbe7fd4005af91806d2d9a931.jpg

2406a6f347224fe5f5a6798b28610b301b8362ea.jpg
Looks awesome:clap:the ridge grapplers are great tires I have 3,000 miles on my 315 70 17’s and I agree it feels harder because of the load E rating but they track better because of the manufacturing process.
If the highways are rough from semi’s or the road has been brushed the 12.5 width does seem to grab groves a bit more though.

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update- 8th gear has made an appearance again. I didn't set the tire size correctly (I changed the tire size with the Tazer and just advanced on, not realizing you have to press enter to get the value to actually change). Once I changed the diameter of the tire, I noticed I hit 8th gear again on the highway.

Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! I'm getting 37's put on my 2 door this weekend, can't wait.

Tazer question for you if you know, or for anyone really. Once you set the tire size you can unplug the Tazer and the computer retains the new settings right? It only needs to be plugged in for active features?

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the Tazer, I believe you are correct. My understanding is the things you change with the engine off stay with the vehicle regardless of whether you have the module (I have the Tazer-mini) plugged in. The things you change with the engine on (e.g., turning the auto-stop feature off), require the module to be plugged in.

So, if you change the tire size, or the TPMS levels (which I reduced to 30psi), etc., they should stay programmed even if you remove the Tazer.

At least that is my understanding.

Reactions: apb

makumozosd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Sweet looking JL Varilux! Those 37s look monstrous on the 2-dr! Love it. Have you run into any clearance issues with your setup since install?

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet looking JL Varilux! Those 37s look monstrous on the 2-dr! Love it. Have you run into any clearance issues with your setup since install?
Not yet, but admittedly I don't go rock crawling or anything that extreme. Most of my off-roading is done on US Forestry roads where deep ruts and the occasional tree that has fallen over the road are the only things that causes suspension flexing. I have noticed the rear end is a bit "thumpier" (probably because the 1.5" spacer lift subtracts travel from the factory shocks), but- for my use- 37" tires with just a 1.5" spacer lift is working out just fine. Last weekend I added some KC lights, and I'm just about done with my build (or so I'm telling myself for now ;)). With the current set-up, my Jeep is just about perfect for how I use it (i.e., I definitely go off the beaten path, but I'm not looking to conquer impossible trails). The 37s produce a bouncy ride, but I'm enjoying it!
f40c2f011fa36d9bb7a66df496eccae3951bbcfb.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Great looking build, I'm wanting to replace the plastic bumpers but I really like how you mounted those lights up front...that could be a quick project while I decide on bumpers. Love the wheels, for me it came down to a decision of the xd137's and the xd837's. In the end I hadn't seen the xd837's on any thing so I like having some bit of uniqueness. I did the fender chop and haven't had any rubbing, but I might do that 1.5" spacer lift just to gain a little up travel. Like you, I don't intend on any rock crawling, just moderate trails and a little soup.

IMG_20200425_135143029.jpg

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Shack said:
Great looking build, I'm wanting to replace the plastic bumpers but I really like how you mounted those lights up front...that could be a quick project while I decide on bumpers. Love the wheels, for me it came down to a decision of the xd137's and the xd837's. In the end I hadn't seen the xd837's on any thing so I like having some bit of uniqueness. I did the fender chop and haven't had any rubbing, but I might do that 1.5" spacer lift just to gain a little up travel. Like you, I don't intend on any rock crawling, just moderate trails and a little soup.

IMG_20200425_135143029.jpg
Thanks! The product I would REALLY like (but there's no way Mopar will make it) is a plastic version of the Rubicon stubby bumper. I'm trying to keep my Jeep as light as possible, and I'm not planning on installing a winch, so I'd like the look of the stubby Rubicon bumper without the weight (same concept as the factory full plastic bumper). Plus, this would allow me to retain my bumper lights!

I've not seen the XD837s (even when I was shopping for wheels)- they look great on your Jeep!

Also, based on very recent experience, I can tell you the KMC wheels are tough! We were having some fun the other night going up burn trails in the national forest (perhaps a little too fast), and I clipped a tree with the front right corner. It popped some stuff inside the wheel well and the wheel itself hit the tree hard enough to shove a bunch of wood between the rim and the bead of the tire! Of course, the tire deflated and we limped back to the cabin.

Cool part is, although we spent 2 hours using tire irons and a metal pick to clean out all the wood, the wheel itself looks perfectly fine (even the places where we were pushing the tire irons in haven't scraped through the black finish). I am super impressed with these wheels! It was a 6" diameter tree, and we whacked it hard enough that we could probably push it over now... Hmmm, been thinking my Jeep needs a name, perhaps I need to call it "Chainsaw!" :^)

PS- We went over some fairly gnarly stuff the other night, and I had no clearance or rubbing issues (well, except rubbing fairly firmly against a tree :^). I have some nice pinstripes that need buffed out, but otherwise it was an awesome night of wheeling!

3f5c57c7a40cf2ab72fe5109cc972e2acfaf6514.jpg

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
wow that was a gnarly hit! glad the xd's can take some punishment. Sounds like good times. I'm with you on the ability to convert the plastic to stubby, that'd be awesome...and if it had a modular winch capability I'd be sold on it for sure. Weight is a big challenge, and I've got a massive spreadsheet with bumpers and winches, and every other imaginable mod to keep track of. My goal is to get a stubby front bumper under 75 lbs and a 10k winch on the lighter end ~50 to 60 lbs.
Sponsored