Sponsored

37s...Apex Steering Boost kit or PSC Adventure Kit (non hydro assist)

dirtydawgsrubi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLUR
I used a Derale 13264 dual pass aluminum heat sink cooler to help keep it cool. The cooler from Apex was out of stock and appeared a bit undersized for running it hot locations in an already hot engine compartment.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yeah my buddy that installed the cooler kit on my 392 (and who did it on my JT 2 years ago) used the old design cooler from Apex that he had laying around as opposed to the newer one which was smaller. Again, not really sure why they changed the size. That said, I'm sure it still works -- I doubt Apex would change it otherwise.

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Yeah my buddy that installed the cooler kit on my 392 (and who did it on my JT 2 years ago) used the old design cooler from Apex that he had laying around as opposed to the newer one which was smaller. Again, not really sure why they changed the size. That said, I'm sure it still works -- I doubt Apex would change it otherwise.
Thanks! I'll ask this question when I engage them.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Thanks! I'll ask this question when I engage them.
Yeah, cooler design is certainly not something I am familiar with. It was just something that was odd to my buddy. It could have been done to ease the install process, not sure.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I put one of the Apex kits on my wife's JLUR (3.5 MC GC, 37" KM3's, Steersmarts drag link and tie rod) and just got back from a trip out to Moab. We did have an issue with one of the o rings on the OEM high pressure (my fault during the reinstall). It didn't leak until we got up to the Top of the World where I had to drive the Jeep down with no power steering. Apex was easy to deal with and offered to send me a replacement for free!! I found a replacement at Napa and was back on the trails the next day. Installation was fairly easy (it would be easier if I had pulled the winch and bumper) and I did it in a few hours while installing a set of Artec inner liners.

Sponsored

APiratesLife4Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Interesting so far, input has been people are looking at one or the other kits but not both.

The Apex solution seems to be an elegant way to optimize the existing steering system for a small budget commitment. Downsides are potential for overheating if the electric motor (reverting to reduced assist) and still having that oncenter play from the steering box and probably need to add the sector shaft brace.

PSC on the other hand is literally almost 10x more expensive with a much more involved installation, the need for quite a bit more castor, and more components for increase % in failure. Plus side is the big bore steering box with tighter on center steering, much stronger sector shaft, end all be all power to move the big tires.

So I either start with the Apex solution and if I find it wanting, upgrade later to the PSC setup.

Or do like 2019 JLUR Bright Whit3 said, buy once , cry once. lol.

Decisions.
Throwing this out as another option: Just start with the Apex boost kit and run it. Then decide what you want/need after that. From there, you have the option of boing PSC big bore or full on hydro assist.

If you ever end up going full hydro assist, extra cooling is always good AND you already have half the work done. The Apex boost kit comes as part of the PSC kit. PSC evidently liked it so much they sell Apex's instead of developing their own. Check the photos on the PSC website and you'll see it.

So whether you take one step at a time to "right size" your steering system for your needs, or you go all out and with hydro assist, you'll probably end up with the Apex boost kit either way.

Full disclosure: I have an Apex kit sitting in my garage but am waiting on one more part before it goes in, so I cannot speak to its driving feel.

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I put one of the Apex kits on my wife's JLUR (3.5 MC GC, 37" KM3's, Steersmarts drag link and tie rod) and just got back from a trip out to Moab. We did have an issue with one of the o rings on the OEM high pressure (my fault during the reinstall). It didn't leak until we got up to the Top of the World where I had to drive the Jeep down with no power steering. Apex was easy to deal with and offered to send me a replacement for free!! I found a replacement at Napa and was back on the trails the next day. Installation was fairly easy (it would be easier if I had pulled the winch and bumper) and I did it in a few hours while installing a set of Artec inner liners.
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a solid stand up firm to deal with.

I can only imagine trying to negotiate the Jeep down that trail with the 37 KM3s and no power steering.

Before the leak occurred, any loss of power to turn the wheels under difficult conditions (ie against a rock or front locked?)

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Throwing this out as another option: Just start with the Apex boost kit and run it. Then decide what you want/need after that. From there, you have the option of boing PSC big bore or full on hydro assist.

If you ever end up going full hydro assist, extra cooling is always good AND you already have half the work done. The Apex boost kit comes as part of the PSC kit. PSC evidently liked it so much they sell Apex's instead of developing their own. Check the photos on the PSC website and you'll see it.

So whether you take one step at a time to "right size" your steering system for your needs, or you go all out and with hydro assist, you'll probably end up with the Apex boost kit either way.

Full disclosure: I have an Apex kit sitting in my garage but am waiting on one more part before it goes in, so I cannot speak to its driving feel.
Very good point and was actually the path I was leaning towards. Thanks!

Easier to upgrade from an initial $385 to the full blown PSC kit at $3,500+ and be able to use the APEX components.

Unlike when I bought 35s, only to realize 7 months later I really needed the 37s to run some of the trails without scraping all over the place lol.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a solid stand up firm to deal with.

I can only imagine trying to negotiate the Jeep down that trail with the 37 KM3s and no power steering.

Before the leak occurred, any loss of power to turn the wheels under difficult conditions (ie against a rock or front locked?)
It's a great setup!! We did Fins, Hell's, Top of the World, Seven Mile, Fins again, and Porcupine. I put the kit on about a month ago and my wife drives it daily and didn't have a leak until the end of Hell's on the end of the first day. We got back to the house and checked the reservoir (which was still full) and couldn't find the source of the leak. The next day is when we did TOTW is when we found the leak was worse with some difficult conditions. My best friend was with us and I told him and my wife to run into town (TOTW is 30 miles outside of town) to get more fluid and I would nurse the Jeep down. And like you mentioned, it was very difficult to get it down the trail. I did not fight the wheel when it decided to spin after hitting a rock! It was at the trailhead that I pulled the inner fender liner and dried out the pump to find the leak from around sandwich plate for the pressure gauge. I loosened it up and found the O ring had shredded when I reassembled it. Good thing it was cheap and easy to replace! After the replacement I checked the reservoir multiple times when we did Fins again and Porcupine and it was back to normal.

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
It's a great setup!! We did Fins, Hell's, Top of the World, Seven Mile, Fins again, and Porcupine. I put the kit on about a month ago and my wife drives it daily and didn't have a leak until the end of Hell's on the end of the first day. We got back to the house and checked the reservoir (which was still full) and couldn't find the source of the leak. The next day is when we did TOTW is when we found the leak was worse with some difficult conditions. My best friend was with us and I told him and my wife to run into town (TOTW is 30 miles outside of town) to get more fluid and I would nurse the Jeep down. And like you mentioned, it was very difficult to get it down the trail. I did not fight the wheel when it decided to spin after hitting a rock! It was at the trailhead that I pulled the inner fender liner and dried out the pump to find the leak from around sandwich plate for the pressure gauge. I loosened it up and found the O ring had shredded when I reassembled it. Good thing it was cheap and easy to replace! After the replacement I checked the reservoir multiple times when we did Fins again and Porcupine and it was back to normal.
Glad it worked great on all those trails. 37 KM3s at 77lbs a tire are no joke! My combo is 112lbs a corner lol.

Awesome it performed great till the O ring failed, definitely a vote of confidence, which is huge when on a trail.

My group was halfway up Crawl Daddy at RC when our trail leader in a PSC equipped TJ got a little adventurous and tried a buggy line. hit the radiator support hard, pushing his return line into the fan.. instant fluid spray everywhere.

Good thing he had extra PS fluid...a couple of snips, we reattached the hose and away we went.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the Apex kit and will be adding a red neck ram and I should be good to go. Iā€™m running 40ā€™s and beadlocks, the kit does help alot but since Iā€™m on a 6 speed I need all the help I can get

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I have the Apex kit and will be adding a red neck ram and I should be good to go. Iā€™m running 40ā€™s and beadlocks, the kit does help alot but since Iā€™m on a 6 speed I need all the help I can get
I'm a fellow 6 speed to but on KM3 37s with 4.88s and a CFII clutch:clap:

How do you find the APEX power assist under low rpm situations ie 1st gear, 4 low idling to approach an obstacle with clutch fully engaged, these scenarios I struggle the most.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm a fellow 6 speed to but on KM3 37s with 4.88s and a CFII clutch:clap:

How do you find the APEX power assist under low rpm situations ie 1st gear, 4 low idling to approach an obstacle with clutch fully engaged, these scenarios I struggle the most.
It works great! No issues at all!

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt