Sponsored

37's and Minor Wiggle in Steering: Acceptable?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
In on a RE 2” boost with 37”Nitto RG’s and no problems. I had the alignment checked when the installed the tires toe off slightly.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have an alignment after @TTEChris did my RC Budget Boost and then mounted my 315 KO 2’s and do have some play in the wheel but it was there when I ran the stock 255’s but no shimmy or wobble, maybe I need to do a highway vid and post up.

Overall pleased with the ride, may consider a steering stabilizer but will talk to Chris first to see if it will help, currently running 35-37# and the ride does seem to be a tad stiff compared to the 30-32# I was running so once I get back into town and get a sensor issue resolved I am stepping down my pressure back to the 30# range as I think it gave a smoother ride.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have an alotnment after @TTEChris did my RC Budget Boost and then mounted my 315 KO 2’s and do have some play in the wheel but it was there when I ran the stock 255’s but no shimmy or wobble, maybe I need to do a highway vid and post up.

Overall pleased with the ride, may consider a steering stabilizer but will talk to Chris first to see if it will help.
Are you saying my wobble is similar to yours?

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying my wobble is similar to yours?
No sir I don’t have the shimmy in the steering you have but do have what I would call a dead band, plan on do a trip to see some family while out of town so will try to do a vid of steering going at highway speeds and post up.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if adjustable LCAs would fix it.
It might. Mine still has the dead spot in the steering but when I take it in for the cruise control recall, I am going to have them check the sensitivity setting per the TSB. If that does not help, I will change the steering damper to see if it takes it out. Usually, death wobble has something to do with steering geometry or loose components

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
It might. Mine still has the dead spot in the steering but when I take it in for the cruise control recall, I am going to have them check the sensitivity setting per the TSB. If that does not help, I will change the steering damper to see if it takes it out. Usually, death wobble has something to do with steering geometry or loose components
You think that video I posted shows death wobble? I keep getting this issue at 52-57mph. Feels like its almost still a balancing issues. I've gone full speed 60mph over railroad tracks, doesn't influence a thing. Just at that speed I mentioned and on crummy country roads. Only actual large bumps in the road that influence are ones that are off axis where the left hits slightly before right or vice versa.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You think that video I posted shows death wobble? I keep getting this issue at 52-57mph. Feels like its almost still a balancing issues. I've gone full speed 60mph over railroad tracks, doesn't influence a thing. Just at that speed I mentioned and on crummy country roads. Only actual large bumps in the road that influence are ones that are off axis where the left hits slightly before right or vice versa.
That does not look like death wobble. That almost looks like tire balance. When they are rotated, does it change the shimmy?

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
That does not look like death wobble. That almost looks like tire balance. When they are rotated, does it change the shimmy?
It felt worse with the rears up front but thet could have been in my head. Been messing with it all day.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Experiencing real "death wobble" would make you fear driving the Jeep again. The first time i experienced it in a customers Jeep going 60mph on the highway. The steering wheel rocked so hard side/side i had zero control. I had to come to almost a complete stop on the highway before i could control the Jeep again. By that time i was 3 lanes over and very lucky that nobody was in those lanes as I could have done nothing to avoid hitting them.
To me it also looks/sounds like a tire balance issue....

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Experiencing real "death wobble" would make you fear driving the Jeep again. The first time i experienced it in a customers Jeep going 60mph on the highway. The steering wheel rocked so hard side/side i had zero control. I had to come to almost a complete stop on the highway before i could control the Jeep again. By that time i was 3 lanes over and very lucky that nobody was in those lanes as I could have done nothing to avoid hitting them.
To me it also looks/sounds like a tire balance issue....
Awesome, thank you. Really great to get your input I appreciate it. Going to discount tire tomorrow, one that has "Hunter road force elite" that I'm going to ask for. Hopefully they'll give me a printout of the results. And Yes, I didn't think it was death wobble because passengers don't even feel this wobble.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thank you. Really great to get your input I appreciate it. Going to discount tire tomorrow, one that has "Hunter road force elite" that I'm going to ask for. Hopefully they'll give me a printout of the results. And Yes, I didn't think it was death wobble because passengers don't even feel this wobble.
Anytime, let us know how it turns out.
I put new tires on mine early last week and haven't had them balanced yet(luckily no wobble for me) I still plan on getting them balanced when im installing my gears, but I need to find a place that specializes in bigger/truck tires. I havent been too happy with my local discount tire stores the last few times in.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Anytime, let us know how it turns out.
I put new tires on mine early last week and haven't had them balanced yet(luckily no wobble for me) I still plan on getting them balanced when im installing my gears, but I need to find a place that specializes in bigger/truck tires. I havent been too happy with my local discount tire stores the last few times in.
Me too, there's a few guys in the local Jeep Facebook groups that can do it but I wanna try discount tire one more time since it would be no charge.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why don’t you try a different Discount Tire. You can go to any of them.
Yes, you will know death wobble. You will leave a stain in the front seat!
Sponsored