Sponsored

37's and Minor Wiggle in Steering: Acceptable?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you should take it to an off road shop like 4WP. They are used to balancing large tires. Mine are smooth as glass

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a vid I did running 315/70R17 KO2’s with a 2” boost at 65-70 mph going down the highway, there is some play in the steering but not to awful bad, I did have the software update on the steering.

I am currently running pressure at 36+ and I think it ran smoother at 30 so once I get back into town and have my sensor issue resolved I’m going to drop the pressure to say 30-32 and do a chalk test and see where I’m at

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a vid I did running 315/70R17 KO2’s with a 2” boost at 65-70 mph going down the highway, there is some play in the steering but not to awful bad, I did have the software update on the steering.

I am currently running pressure at 36+ and I think it ran smoother at 30 so once I get back into town and have my sensor issue resolved I’m going to drop the pressure to say 30-32 and do a chalk test and see where I’m at

Thanks for the video! Mines the same at that speed, it just seems like when I'm going 52-58 miles per hour I get those wiggles in the wheel. You cannot feel it anywhere other than the wheel and it goes away on its own. Sometimes, although not often, it doesnt wiggle at all even at those speeds. However the only times that it does wiggle is within that speed.

I got back from discount tire who did the road force elite balance and I'm still having that wiggle. I have no idea what to do at this point. Perhaps I need to call 4wp and have them just fix it for me, if that's even an option...

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any wiggle in my steering at all or heck maybe I do and don’t notice it, I know that @TTEChris drove my JLU and said it drove like pretty much every Wrangler he’s driven over the years and he knows Jeeps

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any wiggle in my steering at all or heck maybe I do and don’t notice it, I know that @TTEChris drove my JLU and said it drove like pretty much every Wrangler he’s driven over the years and he knows Jeeps
Yes he does and I don't even know him personally other than his kind help here. Currently installing my oem track bar as I'm out of ideas as to what's wrong.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Taking it in to 4WP this morning. Over the phone, they swear its an improper balance. Unless 4 different techs with 3 different discount tires (two of which were road force) are incapable I doubt it. I will say that sometimes when going over an off axis bump, the same wiggle will trigger. Also, I can't remember for sure at this point but this could have started happening after I went on some trails but I don't see how that would have done anything.

*ALSO, for ONE day I rode around the lift I just installed with the control arms torqued incorrectly. I tightened them off the ground instead of on the vehicles' weight. I would assume its OK since it was only one day, but at this point if I have to buy new control arms I will. Just want it riding good again.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it might be the tires themselves. 4wp had a set of stock wheels and tires they let me throw on and wouldn't you know it, the wobble stopped. Working with discount tire on getting store credit and returning the tires for another set.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking about this more, I think it's a 3 part thing.

1. They moved my wheels back onto my Jeep and it's not as severe. They didn't put them back in order so it certainly means that at least two tires are bad, but not all 4. It doesn't wiggle much any more.
  2. When I do get the wiggle now, it's still on the same certain crummy country roads. I'd like to blame some of that wiggle on the roads themselves as there are times (more so now) where the tires don't wobble at those specific speeds on roads.
  3. I still get that wiggle when facing off axis bumps even at 45mph (happened today) so perhaps that's another issue like geometry. Either way, I think that is not the same wiggle as the speed wiggle issue.
I wonder if a track bar bracket would help get the bar and the drag link perfectly parallel if it would make a difference? I do plan on buying Rusty's control arms eventually and then going back to 4wp to get a full and proper alignment but in time.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
One more update. Discount tire / BFG approved my warranty claim and Discount tire ordered a set of 5 new Cooper SST Pros in place of them for me. Decided on those based on all the positive reviews on how well the balance.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
One more update. Discount tire / BFG approved my warranty claim and Discount tire ordered a set of 5 new Cooper SST Pros in place of them for me. Decided on those based on all the positive reviews on how well the balance.
They are nice and quiet as well for an aggressive looking MT. I switched to a set of Maxxis RAZR M/T's and really miss the quietness from my Coopers :(

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
They are nice and quiet as well for an aggressive looking MT. I switched to a set of Maxxis RAZR M/T's and really miss the quietness from my Coopers :(
I'm kind of confused with the tire actually. So many people comment on how loud they are, and that they're MT but according to their website they're an AT. Either way, I'm excited to get them and glad to hear you like them. Ready to get out of these ko2s.

m.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so initial ride home:

They're humming but not super loud

They're 38psi (thanks discount tire)

They're closer to 37s (literally almost an inch taller on the tape measure)

They don't wobble!!!

Discount tire said they were "much easier to balance and too less weights"

Oh and I got $242 back from the cost difference. Super happy I did this. I don't think I'll ever go back to bfg not even for the wife's trackhawk

IMG_20180911_152607.jpg

IMG_20180911_152616.jpg

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I just got my 37s on (IronMan All-Country M/T) and I love it. The steering is noticeably improved. I'm very happy with the results. I think the steering issue was due to the factory tires now. I still have a bit of play in the steering wheel, but my wife's car does too, and I've found so far the Jeep tracks a lot better and stays its course now with the 37s.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Could running lower psi be the culprit? Got the wobble back on certain roads at similar speeds. I was at 38 now 28. Will try 38 again to see if it goes away. Perhaps its just a crappy country road thing like I wondered. Bump wobble seems to be gone however . At this point I'm good with it but will play with psi to see if something is there with that.
Sponsored