37" tires and stock gears ?

Blackjeepjlu

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm wanting to run 37's with stock gears, Anyone else running 37's with stock gears? How does it perform? Any issues?

Thanks,
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
A lot of people are doing it. Some say they feel no difference some say it stinks. If you reprogram for the larger tire size you should be fine.

Do you have an auto?

OP
OP
Blackjeepjlu

Blackjeepjlu

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes, its an auto and it will be reprogrammed for the larger tires. I just don't want to have to re gear right now if I don't have to.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Yes, its an auto and it will be reprogrammed for the larger tires. I just don't want to have to re gear right now if I don't have to.
I think you will be fine. Try to go with a lighter weight tire/wheel combo. This will help.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I've been running about 7-8 months on Cooper 37s with stock wheels. I'm on the side that I really didn't notice a difference. I'm regearing this week however, because we just bought a camper and towing with 37s will be a struggle.

@Kevin8086 made a great video (lite brite in case you'r not familiar) comparing his jeep on a trip to a jeep running 5.38s (if i recall correctly). Both made the same trip, both were running the same 38s and the difference wasn't much. It's definitely worth watching.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
be careful of those saying no problem especially if they are Rubicons as they have more appropriate gears from the factory. 37's on a Sahara is pushing the limits of the gearing as well weight. You will definitely pay for it at the gas pump...

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
be careful of those saying no problem especially if they are Rubicons as they have more appropriate gears from the factory. 37's on a Sahara is pushing the limits of the gearing as well weight. You will definitely pay for it at the gas pump...
You're definitely right, I forgot about that...I always think Rubicon lol

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You will notice it if you rock crawl and are on a 6 speed. I ran one of the most technical trails out here yesterday and I sure could have used the steeper gears. The 4:1 transfer case on the rubicon makes it doable but there were a couple of sections where I needed a lot of finesse where the higher crawl speed didn't do me any favors vs. when I was on 35's I would have been able to pick my way through and up but on the 37's I would up slipping off rocks and stalling. My 5.13's are sitting in a box, just waiting for the rebuild kits to come in.

Justin836

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unl
Been running 37s on my Rubicon for almost a year now. She doesn’t see 8th gear as much these days but that’s ok, 7 others seem to be just fine. Haha.

Trailready Beadlocks with Courser MXT.

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering this exact thing today. Looking at getting larger tires for my Rubicon (3.6 auto) in a few months and I'm wondering what folks say when it's "fine" to run 37's with sstoc gearing.

Fine for mall crawling? Fine for non hardcore wheeling? 80+ mph highway driving?

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm concerned about even running 35's with a sport/sahara gear ratio and, more important, brake size. 37's - holy cow!

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am running 37's (Patagonia's) on beadlocks (DV8) with my Rubicon, no gear change and I am getting 19mpg around town. Havent had it on a highway run yet and I am normally light on the skinny pedal, but I really havent noticed any difference other than I dont see 8th gear often but plenty of power offroad for crawling, I am not a mud guy but the little bit I have seen it does fine in as well.

Plenty of Sports / Sahara's running 35's out there but me personally I wouldnt go more than 35's on their stock 3.45 gears. Otherwise any offroad and mpg could see a dramatic decrease.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
So i'm looking to do the same. 37" but on a sport.... I didnt realize Rubicon had different gearing. Is it a no-go with 37s on a sport with stock gearing? I do not tow or go offroad.

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
So i'm looking to do the same. 37" but on a sport.... I didnt realize Rubicon had different gearing. Is it a no-go with 37s on a sport with stock gearing? I do not tow or go offroad.
I'm no expert (on pretty much anything) but everything I've read on this and other forums suggests that you should regear on a non Rubicon to run 37's.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Bringing your reply back from last month but was wonder if you ever did it and how the 3.45s are doing with the 37s.

What part of Texas are you in?

Brett
Sponsored