37 bfg ko2 rugged ridge xhd

Wranglerjlurubicon27

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Hello all, I’d like to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Rocky from the Houston area and am new to the Jeep scene however I have always been a car enthusiast.

Current cars I own now is a 15 Silverado lifted with wheels and a ram guard and a 15 Escalade premium esv with black vogue wheels which I am trading in for a 18 Wrangler rubicon 2.0 turbo.

Quick question if you folks could help me out. I bought a set of 37x12.5r17 bfg ko2’s (71.3 lbs) for my rugged ridge 17x9 wheels(32 lbs). I wanted to go 37’s however by reading the different threads on here I see that they measure out to 35.5 mounted, even though bfg claims the size is 36.5. With that being said, would it be okay to skip the tailgate reinforcement kit and oversized tire carrier even though the max weight stated should only be 85 lbs at the most?

The reason I ask is that Jeep claims you can have up to a 35 inch tire without a lift but I haven’t seen anything about being able to mount a 35 on a stock tire carrier.

I do not wish to dish out an additional 800-900 if it is not absolutely necessary. I’d rather spend the money on a high end lift kit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am grateful I stumble across this forum as it gave me great information and inspiration on how to build my Jeep. I appreciate you all.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there's a thread somewhere with a damaged tailgate and 37s. I'll be risking it with my 35s but that setup should weight 86-88lbs so not too much over.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've got 35" KO2's on my JLUR and the spare is mounted on the stock tire carrier with the stock wheel. It just barely fits, resting comfortably snug on the center plastic accent piece of the steel bumper. A 37" ain't gonna work there unless you relocate the tire carrier or add a spacer so that the tire clears the bumper in order to close the gate. This is ultimately what killed JK tailgates; having all that weight hanging free at a distance.

Mopar's "JL Tailgate Reinforcement System" doesn't quite make sense to me. You've got the swing gate piece that pairs with a new tire carrier, but I don't know what the point of the swing gate piece itself is since it doesn't actually mount on or replace any part of the hinge that's connected to the tub.

The only reason I feel confident my spare isn't going to mess up the gate is because the stock wheel allows the bump stops to press comfortably against the tire while it literally rests on the bumper. It can't sway in any direction. I went wheeling this past weekend and had no troubles, but that isn't to say future trips won't eventually take a toll on some area of the gate or the carrier. I don't plan on leaving it this way and I'm waiting for an aftermarket solution.

OP
OP

Wranglerjlurubicon27

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I believe there's a thread somewhere with a damaged tailgate and 37s. I'll be risking it with my 35s but that setup should weight 86-88lbs so not too much over.
Thanks for your reply. I actually saw that somewhere too and would very much like to avoid that.
I've got 35" KO2's on my JLUR and the spare is mounted on the stock tire carrier with the stock wheel. It just barely fits, resting comfortably snug on the center plastic accent piece of the steel bumper. A 37" ain't gonna work there unless you relocate the tire carrier or add a spacer so that the tire clears the bumper in order to close the gate. This is ultimately what killed JK tailgates; having all that weight hanging free at a distance.

Mopar's "JL Tailgate Reinforcement System" doesn't quite make sense to me. You've got the swing gate piece that pairs with a new tire carrier, but I don't know what the point of the swing gate piece itself is since it doesn't actually mount on or replace any part of the hinge that's connected to the tub.

The only reason I feel confident my spare isn't going to mess up the gate is because the stock wheel allows the bump stops to press comfortably against the tire while it literally rests on the bumper. It can't sway in any direction. I went wheeling this past weekend and had no troubles, but that isn't to say future trips won't eventually take a toll on some area of the gate or the carrier. I don't plan on leaving it this way and I'm waiting for an aftermarket solution.
I might just mount the new rim to the 33 inch tire for the spare as well until something comes out. I’m feeling like rims, tires, lift kit, tire reinforcement and oversized tire carrier is probably gonna cost me upwards of 6-7k including installation. Talk about a money pit, lol.
Sponsored