Sponsored

37” tires - PSI?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree, but I view that as a side effect of running wide (12.5" and greater) tires, and the proper solution is to run narrower tires, not to overinflate the wide tires. (I know I'm in the minority and most people just pump up their 37s). Also, as much as it pains me to say this, when you get to 37s, 18" or 20" wheels (the bain of my existence normally) start to make more sense because you don't really want more than 9 inches of sidewall on a tire as the sidewall gets too flexible for emergency maneuvers on the road. There is such a thing as too much sidewall for on-road driving.
Everything is relative. First 5000 miles or so on my 37" KO2s, they ran sketchy over 30 psi, really squirrely at highway speed, so I mainly stuck to 26-28 psi. About 15000 miles later, I ended up trying out 36 psi and surprisingly it ran just fine. Now I'm at 38-ish psi and still none of the original bad handling when the tires were pretty new. Guess the center wore down and the contact patch improved 🤷‍♂️

When it comes to tire width and side-wall, it all depends. I had 35x12.5x17 Thornbirds on my 96 Ram on wheels with no offset and it drove horrible, lot's of body lean on curves / maneuvers. I chopped my fenders and moved up to 38x15.5x15 with gobs of negative offset. I now have a solid 11" of sidewall but my overall track width grew by a full 24". It's now very stable, (a bit less at the moment since I don't have a sway bar yet fabricated), even with all that sidewall.

On the downside, it eats wheel bearings like crazy and I don't always fit in drive-thrus...
Sponsored

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have 37" BFG KM3's and have ran them at 30 psi (cold) since day 1. They now have about 43k miles on them and have even wear all the way around. I'm getting ready to buy a new set in a month or so. I drive them on a good mix of street, highway, canyon roads, and of course, off-road. I'd say I got my moneys worth out of them.