37” Ko2’s or Ridge Grapplers

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sorry guys I know this is probably the millionth time this question has been asked but I currently run 35” Ridge Grappler’s and love them but trying to save some weight on the move up to 37‘s. Advertised weight on the Ko2 is 69.49 virus’s the Grappler at 81.48. I know the Ko2’s run about a 1/4” smaller Which isn’t as much of an issue as the almost 12 lbs weight difference. I’m also looking at a $350 installed price for the Grappler’s virus’s a $400 installed price on the Ko2’s, that’s a $250 difference. Help, I need help, lots of it lol!!. After all it’s only my third set of tires in three months. :piggybank::piggybank: I absolutely need this to be the last set of tires I buy for at least a year, god I’m sick!!
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys I know this is probably the millionth time this question has been asked but I currently run 35” Ridge Grappler’s and love them but trying to save some weight on the move up to 37‘s. Advertised weight on the Ko2 is 69.49 virus’s the Grappler at 81.48. I know the Ko2’s run about a 1/4” smaller Which isn’t as much of an issue as the almost 12 lbs weight difference. I’m also looking at a $350 installed price for the Grappler’s virus’s a $400 installed price on the Ko2’s, that’s a $250 difference. Help, I need help, lots of it lol!!. After all it’s only my third set of tires in three months. :piggybank::piggybank: I absolutely need this to be the last set of tires I buy for at least a year, god I’m sick!!
This should help: https://tirepost.com/2019/03/12/bf-goodrich-ko2-vs-nitto-ridge-grappler/

I'm a Nitto Trail Grappler convert, so I may be a bit biased. Hopefully the article will provide the detail you need to make a good, educated decision on what works best for you.

Happy hunting!

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
What tires did you have before the Ridge grapplers? Why didn't you like them?

OP
OP
NPE102414

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What tires did you have before the Ridge grapplers? Why didn't you like them?
I had the Faulken wipldpeak, was a really good tire, but heavy and didn’t care for the look of it. Also, I’m being a little sarcastic on the three month, it’s been more like a five month very expensive process trying to find the perfect tire.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I had the Faulken wipldpeak, was a really good tire, but heavy and didn’t care for the look of it. Also, I’m being a little sarcastic on the three month, it’s been more like a five month very expensive process trying to find the perfect tire.
Have you checked out the Kanati Trail Hog? Same tread pattern as the GY Duratrac but comes in a 37. Also light at 72 pounds. Priority tire currently has them for $218 a tire with free shipping.

I tend to look for lighter tires. That being said, I'm currently running 38s. Their stated weight is 82 pounds. I weighed them and they were 78. They ride fine in the JLUR so the Ridge Grapplers would e fine as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NPE102414

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Have you checked out the Kanati Trail Hog? Same tread pattern as the GY Duratrac but comes in a 37. Also light at 72 pounds. Priority tire currently has them for $218 a tire with free shipping.

I tend to look for lighter tires. That being said, I'm currently running 38s. Their stated weight is 82 pounds. I weighed them and they were 78. They ride fine in the JLUR so the Ridge Grapplers would e fine as well.
I usually don’t even give overseas tires a second look, I’ve had bad luck with them in the past. I’m probably gonna stay with the RG because I run them now in a 35 and really like them and they are a much better price. That being said my suspension and steering is completely done so I can handle the extra weight, hopefully.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Ridge grapplers are a little stiff and suck in deep snow (I learned today after getting stuck twice) and kick ass at just about everything else.. ko2 kick ass at everything but are little less strong in mud but better in snow.. ko2 is about 20% lighter and cones in c ply which is more appropriate for the weight of the Jeep.. but the rg being heavier and stronger and that weight and bulk will likely result in less change of punctured sidewall... both are great tires.. kind of like trying to decide between the hottest blond and the hottest brunette at the bar... it’s really a person choice.. and you are stoked to have either.. and if you are really rich you can have them both :)

OP
OP
NPE102414

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ridge grapplers are a little stiff and suck in deep snow (I learned today after getting stuck twice) and kick ass at just about everything else.. ko2 kick ass at everything but are little less strong in mud but better in snow.. ko2 is about 20% lighter and cones in c ply which is more appropriate for the weight of the Jeep.. but the rg being heavier and stronger and that weight and bulk will likely result in less change of punctured sidewall... both are great tires.. kind of like trying to decide between the hottest blond and the hottest brunette at the bar... it’s really a person choice.. and you are stoked to have either.. and if you are really rich you can have them both :)
In a 37” a C rated tire is a mere pipe dream. I currently have E range RG’s in 35” and I love them, pretty good in the snow to. I live in New Hampshire and have plenty of snow to deal with so I was a little concerned about all the negativity I read about them not being good in the snow. My experience is the opposite, I think they’re awesome in the snow, especially compared to the Goodyear Wranglers I just came out of on my Silverado, the worst tire ever!!! I do agree on the weight issue though, however my Jeep sees a lot of weekend trail duty so the stronger RG is definitely a plus. At the end of the day I ended up going with the 37” RG in a load range D, So basically the hottest Brunette lol. If I ran a 315 like you I definitely would have gone with the C range Ko2, but 37’s are more of a challenge.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
In a 37” a C rated tire is a mere pipe dream. I currently have E range RG’s in 35” and I love them, pretty good in the snow to. I live in New Hampshire and have plenty of snow to deal with so I was a little concerned about all the negativity I read about them not being good in the snow. My experience is the opposite, I think they’re awesome in the snow, especially compared to the Goodyear Wranglers I just came out of on my Silverado, the worst tire ever!!! I do agree on the weight issue though, however my Jeep sees a lot of weekend trail duty so the stronger RG is definitely a plus. At the end of the day I ended up going with the 37” RG in a load range D, So basically the hottest Brunette lol. If I ran a 315 like you I definitely would have gone with the C range Ko2, but 37’s are more of a challenge.
ya I actually run 35x12.5r17 rg right now and am in Tahoe, ca having a pretty rough time with snow.. looking to sell them and get 37” ko2s.. so dumping the brunette for the blonde lol (overall rg is an amazing tires, just looking to cut weight and get better snow performance, since we come up to the snow 4-5 times a year)
Sponsored