Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Server Administrator
2019 JLUR with 2” Mopar lift.
Currently running 37” KO2 which I bought mainly for winter months. They’ve been doing a decent job on the Iron Range MN and Black Hills SD trails, but definitely lacking over the bigger obstacles and when it’s slick.

I’ve narrowed down my next set to be either the 37” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T or the 37” Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar... Leaning towards the Mickey’s.
Looking for any advice from those who have experience with these two tires. This is for a daily driver that will be driven 200+ miles to trails.
How does each do on tread life?
Which is stronger, the power ply xd or Kevlar?
I’ve read mixed reviews on balancing issues...
Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKUR Hard Rock
Did you ever make a choice on tires? I'm looking at the Baja Boss MT. If you went that direction, I'd like to get your thoughts on them so far.

OP
OP
Tyson3264

Tyson3264

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Server Administrator
Did you ever make a choice on tires? I'm looking at the Baja Boss MT. If you went that direction, I'd like to get your thoughts on them so far.
Yes, I went with the 37x12.50x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT's. I've only had them installed for about a month. So far they drive well in town and interstate at ~26 PSI, but are a bit louder than the 37" KO2. My gas mileage did drop 2-3, but I'm also running heavier rock monster bead locks. They look great though!

I can let you know more in a few weeks as I'll be driving from ND to Big Bear Lake, CA for the Jeep Jamboree next week and then another wheeling trip to the Iron Range in MN the following weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” Baja Boss M/T vs Wrangler MT/R 865AEE65-4195-4687-86BA-822593BCAE0E

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKUR Hard Rock
Yes, I went with the 37x12.50x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT's. I've only had them installed for about a month. So far they drive well in town and interstate at ~26 PSI, but are a bit louder than the 37" KO2. My gas mileage did drop 2-3, but I'm also running heavier rock monster bead locks. They look great though!

I can let you know more in a few weeks as I'll be driving from ND to Big Bear Lake, CA for the Jeep Jamboree next week and then another wheeling trip to the Iron Range in MN the following weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL 37” Baja Boss M/T vs Wrangler MT/R 865AEE65-4195-4687-86BA-822593BCAE0E
Your mileage dropped that much? What are you at now? I'm getting about 14 on my 37" KO2. I'd hope a per tire weight increase of 8-10 lbs wouldn't make that much difference, but you tell me since you have them. Do you know how much total weight you went up per wheel? Do you plan to run them year round?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Sounds about right. I get 13-14 on my yokohama 37s on beadlocks

Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Any updates?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Gearing is stock?

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I had the Mickeys on my last JL. If you think they are loud now, wait until you get some miles on them. I used a DB meter on my phone to measure the decibel levels in a hardtop JL with headliner and it read 92DB at 70 on the highway. Conversely, my JL Rubicon with KO2's and a SOT top using the same app was 76 DB at 70mph. Our 16 JK with BFG KM3 mud terrains are not as loud as the Mickeys.

The tires wore good and handled wet roads well enough altough I did have limited slip diff on the Sahara. After 20k on the tires when I traded I was at 11/18 on the tread gauge. I rotated every 5k. They are good tires if you can handle the noise.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Jesus that's loud AF comparatively. 92dB is well over the threshold for hearing protection.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Yeah, conversations at highway speeds turned into shouting matches.

Sponsored

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKUR Hard Rock
I just put the Baja Boss MTs on my JKUR in a 37x12.5x17 and they are only 1-2 dB louder than my KO2 in the same size. Yes, they are new and that may change, but so far they are nowhere near what you reported at 92.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just put the Baja Boss MTs on my JKUR in a 37x12.5x17 and they are only 1-2 dB louder than my KO2 in the same size. Yes, they are new and that may change, but so far they are nowhere near what you reported at 92.
I've been looking at the Baja Boss m/t's for my next set. They are technically a hybrid tire, with wide spaced m/t blocks on the outer shoulders and closer overlapping blocks down the center. The latter would typically aid in them running quieter than a straight m/t tire.

OP
OP
Tyson3264

Tyson3264

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Server Administrator
They are noticeably louder than KO2’s, but not horrible. Conversations are difficult, but I’m also running a soft top.
Otherwise, they drove fine on round trip from Fargo, ND to Big Bear, CA with stretches of 85+ mph.
They held up great on Gold Mountain, Holcomb Creek, and John Bull BoH trails. Felt better wheeling with them vs the KO2s on the MN OHV trails.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the Mickeys on my last JL. If you think they are loud now, wait until you get some miles on them. I used a DB meter on my phone to measure the decibel levels in a hardtop JL with headliner and it read 92DB at 70 on the highway. Conversely, my JL Rubicon with KO2's and a SOT top using the same app was 76 DB at 70mph. Our 16 JK with BFG KM3 mud terrains are not as loud as the Mickeys.

The tires wore good and handled wet roads well enough although I did have limited-slip diff on the Sahara. After 20k on the tires when I traded I was at 11/18 on the tread gauge. I rotated every 5k. They are good tires if you can handle the noise.
Were they the Baja Boss MTs or the older MTZ? I have never heard of the new Baja MTs running that loud unless there was a balancing issue or a damaged tire.

Also, the new Baja Boss MTs have 22/32nds tread depth, not 18/32nds. 18 sounds like the MTZs.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I recently had 37" Baja Boss tires put on, and I have been really happy with how quiet they are. not K02 quiet, but it's close. would definitely recommend them
Sponsored