OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the 6 speed with 37s. I ran them with stock gears for almost 4 months and than re geared to 5.13s. Wouldn’t change the gear setup I have now for anything.
How much better does it perform offroad? I was going to go with 4.88 but now I think 5.13 is what I'm doing
Sponsored

DrowningTurtle

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Army
How much better does it perform offroad? I was going to go with 4.88 but now I think 5.13 is what I'm doing
It’s amazing Offroad. 1st gear for anything extremely technical that requires very very slow speeds. Can practically stand on the brakes in 1st in 4L without killing it. 2nd gear for a little bit more speed and less technical stuff or when you need to get over an obstacle and need a bit more rpms and speed. As for daily driving. It’s practically let off the clutch with no gas in 1st and you’re on your way.

OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It’s amazing Offroad. 1st gear for anything extremely technical that requires very very slow speeds. Can practically stand on the brakes in 1st in 4L without killing it. 2nd gear for a little bit more speed and less technical stuff or when you need to get over an obstacle and need a bit more rpms and speed. As for daily driving. It’s practically let off the clutch with no gas in 1st and you’re on your way.

Awesome, I was on the fence but no more. Sounds like it made a huge difference.

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
How are 5.13 for daily driver? If I do a lot of cruising at 65 to 80mph, would it be better to stick with 4.88 in a 6 speed? For reference I'm in Florida, not many hills

OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How are 5.13 for daily driver? If I do a lot of cruising at 65 to 80mph, would it be better to stick with 4.88 in a 6 speed? For reference I'm in Florida, not many hills
It's about a 150 RPM difference in 6th. It's really up to you. I went with the 5.13 because of the crawl ratio. My MPG did go down some though from when I had the 4.10's. Lost about 1-2 MPG.

Sponsored

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
I am more concerned with on road behavior as that will be 95% of the Jeeps life. Plus being in Florida, even when it does go off road, it won't be anything too extreme

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Your better off with 4:88 if you drive at those speeds , and no off road . in fact your better off with stock tires for limited off road use. and 4:56 .

Bardog

First Name
Bardog
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bardog.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Granite
Occupation
Restaurateur
Hi, guys. I will do ZERO off-roading and I’m concerned about what gears to run with my new tires. I’m on my fifth Wrangler - a 2020 JL 2DR Sport S, 6-speed. I’m going to run 37” tires for the first time. The 2014 JKU I just traded in had 35”s and was an automatic, so I don’t know what to expect.

Because I’m not doing any wheeling, and mostly will be around town and on the highway, how will 4.88 do for me in my 6-speed? I’ll be running BFG KO2s and prob 24-26lb wheels. Oh yeah, 2.5” AEV lift too...

Thanks a lot!

Winder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi, guys. I will do ZERO off-roading and I’m concerned about what gears to run with my new tires. I’m on my fifth Wrangler - a 2020 JL 2DR Sport S, 6-speed. I’m going to run 37” tires for the first time. The 2014 JKU I just traded in had 35”s and was an automatic, so I don’t know what to expect.

Because I’m not doing any wheeling, and mostly will be around town and on the highway, how will 4.88 do for me in my 6-speed? I’ll be running BFG KO2s and prob 24-26lb wheels. Oh yeah, 2.5” AEV lift too...

Thanks a lot!
If you don't plan to get it off in the mud, then 4.88s will be fine. You're in a light weight 2 door and Memphis is pretty flat and only a few hundred feet above sea level.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
If you don't plan to get it off in the mud, then 4.88s will be fine. You're in a light weight 2 door and Memphis is pretty flat and only a few hundred feet above sea level.

I have a '20 JL MT sport with 2.5" lift and 35s. I notice that not only is 6th gear useless, but even 5th only has value on a downhill at highway speeds. I have had two previous JKs with the same lift/tires and I was at least able to use 5th on the highway. What gears would you recommend in my case? Also, very little wheeling done with my jeep.

Sponsored

Winder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a '20 JL MT sport with 2.5" lift and 35s. I notice that not only is 6th gear useless, but even 5th only has value on a downhill at highway speeds. I have had two previous JKs with the same lift/tires and I was at least able to use 5th on the highway. What gears would you recommend in my case? Also, very little wheeling done with my jeep.
I would run 4.56 gears in a sport with 35" tires. 6th gear will actually get used. My JLUR with 6spd and 4.10s (33s) rarely sees 6th gear. 4.56 gears and 35" tires will get you to 2500 rpms at 80mph. The stock 3.45 gears are just way too tall. Right now you are probably turning less than 2200rpm at 80mph which to too low in the powerband for that speed given the 2dr JL weight. 4.56 gears in a 2dr JL with 35" tires would make it fun to drive around town and probably improve your gas mileage.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I would run 4.56 gears in a sport with 35" tires. 6th gear will actually get used. My JLUR with 6spd and 4.10s (33s) rarely sees 6th gear. 4.56 gears and 35" tires will get you to 2500 rpms at 80mph. The stock 3.45 gears are just way too tall. Right now you are probably turning less than 2200rpm at 80mph which to too low in the powerband for that speed given the 2dr JL weight. 4.56 gears in a 2dr JL with 35" tires would make it fun to drive around town and probably improve your gas mileage.
Yup, Only around 2200rpm in the 70mph range in 4th... 5th pulls it down below 2000. I should also mention that along with the aftermarket lift/tires I also had the Centerforce clutch installed. Stock clutch in these JLs seems to be designed for a 90-year-old with arthritis.

Winder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yup, Only around 2200rpm in the 70mph range in 4th... 5th pulls it down below 2000. I should also mention that along with the aftermarket lift/tires I also had the Centerforce clutch installed. Stock clutch in these JLs seems to be designed for a 90-year-old with arthritis.
I don't mind the stock clutch. It's a little light but once I got use to it it was fine. If you have have stock 3.45 gears and 35" tires you probably hated the stock clutch and the light weight flywheel. That heavy CF clutch makes it easier to get going from a dead stop with those tall gears. If you switch to 4.56 gears you will be able to take you foot off the clutch without touching the gas the the JL will start rolling just fine. They were just after mph numbers with the stock gears and tires in the sport.

I have 4.10 gears and I will regear to 4.56 or 4.88. 4.10 (w33's) is just barely not enough to get much use out of 6th gear. I gotta be doing over 80 on flat ground to be up in the power band and able to hold 6th. I almost never get to 80+ mph so 6th is never used. I would like to be sitting close to 2500 rpm at 80mph. This little 3.6 just isn't very happy below 2300.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I don't mind the stock clutch. It's a little light but once I got use to it it was fine. If you have have stock 3.45 gears and 35" tires you probably hated the stock clutch and the light weight flywheel. That heavy CF clutch makes it easier to get going from a dead stop with those tall gears. If you switch to 4.56 gears you will be able to take you foot off the clutch without touching the gas the the JL will start rolling just fine. They were just after mph numbers with the stock gears and tires in the sport.

I have 4.10 gears and I will regear to 4.56 or 4.88. 4.10 (w33's) is just barely not enough to get much use out of 6th gear. I gotta be doing over 80 on flat ground to be up in the power band and able to hold 6th. I almost never get to 80+ mph so 6th is never used. I would like to be sitting close to 2500 rpm at 80mph. This little 3.6 just isn't very happy below 2300.
Yes, I think I will talk to the pro shop about a regear. Seems silly to have spent all this extra $ to not have an enjoyable ride.

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I went 5.13 and I also have the Centerforce clutch, drives great on an off road. 6th gear is useable again on the freeway and my mpg are back to stock. They had dropped to 11-12 with the 4.10s and 37s.
Sponsored