Sponsored

3600 miles coolant leak, reservoir is empty

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I got home from a drive on Saturday and a puddle quickly formed under the Jeep on the driveway. Pink/reddish in color. The coolant reservoir was empty and the undercarriage of the Jeep was covered in fluid. I got a picture from underneath of what I believe is the thermostat housing (?) with pinkish residue. If I run the Jeep for a couple minutes the leaks starts up and is pronounced. Is this a "common problem"?

The terrible part is that I am still waiting on a tow truck to take it to the dealer, and the dealer cannot examine the Jeep until Thursday "at the earliest." The kick in the 'nads is I was told (a) no loaners available and (b) FCA rental assistance does not start until the Jeep is at the dealer. So I had no transportation for most of Saturday, all day Sunday, Monday and now Tuesday. I called, chatted, etc. to complain but here I am - no Jeep, no transportation.

Any suggestions from others who have dealt with FCA warranty service issues?

IMG_20220226_151801.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Your JL is under warranty....Call FCA Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997 and tell them you need it taken to the closest Jeep dealership.. you are broken down/it will not start.

They will arrange for and they will pay for, the trip to the nearest dealership. Must be nearest dealer or you will end up being billed for the flat bed.

-They will also just send a truck to jump start you if you prefer that.... no charge to you.... Warranty covers.

If it needs to go to the dealership ....You MUST specifically tell the agent that answers, that the owner's manual says Flat Bed only or you may very well not have a flat bed truck show up. Anyway, do not tow it, Flatbed it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Call and have a case opened!

Regardless of what anyone here spews, the best move is to CALL the Dedicated FCA Customer Care # and not message Jeep Cares through the forum..

1-800-992-1997 takes the caller to Stellantis Customer CARE where you can select Roadside Assistance plus a variety of other options to include Warranty assistance, UConnect help and more.. This number allows the caller to not only talk to a Rep to get Roadside Assistance, but also to talk to a Rep to work out an agreement that the vehicle not go to the closest Jeep dealership... You can also complain about an issue.... ask ? and more...

1-800-521-2779 takes the caller directly to reps in regard to just Roadside Assistance.. The Rep just schedules a tow vehicle for you.. Sure, that Rep can probably transfer you to Stellantis Customer Care..

FCA also has this number:
Dedicated Jeep Customer Assistance: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 which takes you directly to a "Jeep Advisor". An advisor that will properly open a case for you with Stellantis.

In closing, all the numbers mentioned above could be used.... I more often then not, say call the 1-800-992-1997 number because it covers all bases so to speak and not just getting you a flatbed truck for transport of your disabled vehicle.

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Suzuki GV, various performance 65-70 mopars
That's a bad hose clamp, could be fixed in 5 minutes for $2.

OP
OP
noquartergiven

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
Call and have a case opened!

Regardless of what anyone here spews, the best move is to CALL the Dedicated FCA Customer Care # and not message Jeep Cares through the forum..

1-800-992-1997 takes the caller to Stellantis Customer CARE where you can select Roadside Assistance plus a variety of other options to include Warranty assistance, UConnect help and more.. This number allows the caller to not only talk to a Rep to get Roadside Assistance, but also to talk to a Rep to work out an agreement that the vehicle not go to the closest Jeep dealership... You can also complain about an issue.... ask ? and more...

1-800-521-2779 takes the caller directly to reps in regard to just Roadside Assistance.. The Rep just schedules a tow vehicle for you.. Sure, that Rep can probably transfer you to Stellantis Customer Care..

FCA also has this number:
Dedicated Jeep Customer Assistance: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 which takes you directly to a "Jeep Advisor". An advisor that will properly open a case for you with Stellantis.

In closing, all the numbers mentioned above could be used.... I more often then not, say call the 1-800-992-1997 number because it covers all bases so to speak and not just getting you a flatbed truck for transport of your disabled vehicle.
Great information, Thank you. I did call the 992-1997 number. But I am also going to get on the phone with these others right now.

Sponsored

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if that is a "common issue"? For $2....jeez.
Can't say if it's common but fixed one on my brother's jeep last year, clamp had a mfg defect. Just replace with a stainless worm clamp & be done with it forever.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@noquartergiven

I'm an old guy and if you were my Son, I would say .... go easy.... it is what it is. Deal with it best you can...

I would tell my Son, call Stellantis and open a case. Be calm and polite but open a case. Talk ab out the rental, etc..

I would be sure the JL was flat bedded to the dealer.

I would go to the dealer (no telephone) and politely and calmly asked to speak to the Service Manager.... the SERVICE MANAGER. Politely / calmly talk this issue over with the Service Manager and see what he has to offer.... what his dept. can do for you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@noquartergiven

It is not a $2 fix. The Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant that will need to be replaced that your JL has lost is pricey. $24+. Then the price of the part... Then the Tech will probably want to pressure test.. , etc...

So, no, not a $2 fix. No way... no way, even if you did it yourself.

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@noquartergiven

It is not a $2 fix. The Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant that will need to be replaced that your JL has lost is pricey. $24+. Then the price of the part... Then the Tech will probably want to pressure test.. , etc...

So, no, not a $2 fix. No way... no way, even if you did it yourself.
OMG, forgot to mention you'd have to top off the pricey coolant. In that case it's totally worth it to risk damage from a tow & wait days without transportation while the brilliant dealer techs diagnose this complicated issue.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG, forgot to mention you'd have to top off the pricey coolant. In that case it's totally worth it to risk damage from a tow & wait days without transportation while the brilliant dealer techs diagnose this complicated issue.
@JohnnyG

The OP ... came here asking for help...... by his posts here , he is not one that would probably be wrenchin on his JL for this issue, hence his posts. I could be wrong on this but....

I totally agree that it is best to avoid the dealership Service Dept. when at all possible (I do) and that towing, etc., can have undesirable end results..

All my past posts on the forum over the years, reflect this sentiment...

..... BUT, not everyone is inclined to work on their own vehicle.

My only nitpic was your saying it was a $2 fix which there is absolutely no way it is. Enough said..

OP
OP
noquartergiven

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
@noquartergiven

I'm an old guy and if you were my Son, I would say .... go easy.... it is what it is. Deal with it best you can...

I would tell my Son, call Stellantis and open a case. Be calm and polite but open a case. Talk ab out the rental, etc..

I would be sure the JL was flat bedded to the dealer.

I would go to the dealer (no telephone) and politely and calmly asked to speak to the Service Manager.... the SERVICE MANAGER. Politely / calmly talk this issue over with the Service Manager and see what he has to offer.... what his dept. can do for you.
FCA roadside dispatched a non-flatbed which I refused. I am unfamiliar with how tow-truck towing works but the manual says flatbed or flat towing. Waiting on the next dispatch. The roadside # has worked best for me today so thanks again for that info.

OP
OP
noquartergiven

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I appreciate all the help and information given here. The tow truck *should be* coming out but I am half inclined to try to slap on a hose clamp and see if that works just to get the Jeep over to the dealer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This a 2.0T? Pic is from so close up it’s hard to tell. If this is a 3.6, that’s not the thermostat housing.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL 3600 miles coolant leak, reservoir is empty 1646157388039
constant-tension hose clamps work best…… can be purchased at locally or McMaster Carr… be sure to size it correctly.

Also note….. Concentrate Mopar Coolant will not save you any dollars, with the crazy cost of distilled water.
Sponsored