Sponsored

36” Tires

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running 36” tires? Noticed that they make a 355/65r18 that comes to a 36.2” x 14” tire. Or they make a 36x13.5r18. I am currently running 305/65r18 (33.4”) and want to upgrade. Weighing all sizes and brands. I have a RC 2.5” lift kit and Rubicon front fender flares. Will 35” be enough, or do I need to go bigger? Seems like 37” may be too big.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Unless you plan to re-gear I'd stick w/ 35s max, plus the added weight, especially a 355 wouldn't be a great plan w/ the smaller sport axles. And braking will be heavily affected too. My braking took a pretty big hit just going up to 295/70s :(

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you plan to re-gear I'd stick w/ 35s max, plus the added weight, especially a 355 wouldn't be a great plan w/ the smaller sport axles. And braking will be heavily affected too. My braking took a pretty big hit just going up to 295/70s :(
Things I never considered. Thanks for the input! Just need to find the right 35” AT.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Toyo and Yokohama both make a 315/70R18 they claim is 35.7" in diameter and the width is close to what you are running now.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo and Yokohama both make a 315/70R18 they claim is 35.7" in diameter and the width is close to what you are running now.
So are there advantages or disadvantages of running an 11.5 wide tire vs a 12.5?

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
So are there advantages or disadvantages of running an 11.5 wide tire vs a 12.5?
That, my friend, is an open ended question. The answer depends on vehicle, intended use, and what you are after in terms of looks.

The narrower tire is going to weigh less and thus have less impact on acceleration, fuel economy and braking. It will also tolerate more offset without rubbing when turning. Having an offset closer to stock helps minimize wandering, death wobble, and wear of suspension components.

Off road, the narrower tire can't be aired down as far before it starts to fold over, lose a bead, etc. Beadlocks fix that, but I don't think that's where you are headed. On some muddy trails a wider tire will stay out of ruts better and on others the skinny tire will bite and get a grip where the fat one just spins. I feel a wider tire is always better on rocks and sand assuming the same diameter. As Tex once said on Pirate, "You can argue if a tall fat tire is better than a tall skinny tire, but there is no argument that a tall skinny tire is better than a short fat tire." Word.

As to looks, only you can decide.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That, my friend, is an open ended question. The answer depends on vehicle, intended use, and what you are after in terms of looks.

The narrower tire is going to weigh less and thus have less impact on acceleration, fuel economy and braking. It will also tolerate more offset without rubbing when turning. Having an offset closer to stock helps minimize wandering, death wobble, and wear of suspension components.

Off road, the narrower tire can't be aired down as far before it starts to fold over, lose a bead, etc. Beadlocks fix that, but I don't think that's where you are headed. On some muddy trails a wider tire will stay out of ruts better and on others the skinny tire will bite and get a grip where the fat one just spins. I feel a wider tire is always better on rocks and sand assuming the same diameter. As Tex once said on Pirate, "You can argue if a tall fat tire is better than a tall skinny tire, but there is no argument that a tall skinny tire is better than a short fat tire." Word.

As to looks, only you can decide.
Sound advice! I appreciate the break down. I don’t “wheel” my Jeep, just take the wife on back road cruises. Only off road is on dirt roads. It is my “Man Van!” Sounds like the taller, skinnier tire will suit me best.
Sponsored