Sponsored

35x12.50r17E rim and tire weight 106lbs?

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I have a 22 JLUR 6mt 4.88's with the spare tire reinforcement on order and just got a set of Mopar Performance rims, think 29-30lbs and looking at a set of Trxus as have them on my Dodge truck except they are 76lbs, should I be worried about the weight as had heard the tire carrier is only rated for 84lbs?

Anyone running heavier tires on the Mopar Reinforcement?

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi,

I have a 22 JLUR 6mt 4.88's with the spare tire reinforcement on order and just got a set of Mopar Performance rims, think 29-30lbs and looking at a set of Trxus as have them on my Dodge truck except they are 76lbs, should I be worried about the weight as had heard the tire carrier is only rated for 84lbs?

Anyone running heavier tires on the Mopar Reinforcement?

Regards,
Jim
I've been running 106lbs (35x12.5 E Load Duratracs and Fuel Block wheels) on stock hinges, no reinforcement for about 6k kms. Tailgate is solid as a rock. Have adapters on bumpstops holding tire tight. In saying that, better safe than sorry and I'll be installing a CavFab carrier this spring.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
In anticipation of soon mounting 35's I recently had a conversation with my Service Advisor. When asked whether I should do it or not, he said it depends on how long I planned to keep the Jeep. If going to sell it in a few years, don't need to. But if "this is it," meaning I'm going to keep it for a long time, it's better to install it.

Being an "ounce of prevention guy," I did the install yesterday, along with the Mopar relocation brackets. It's easy and fun to do by yourself, though of course more expensive than it should be for what it is. I picked the kits up on BAM for quite a bit less than other outlets. Here are the links:

Reinforcement Bracket Kit:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...nt-bracket-kit-2018-2021-mopar-oem-82215356ab

Relocation Kit:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...carrier-mounting-bracket-kit-mopar-82215355ab

and just for posterity, the rear stop light relocation kit:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...nted-stop-light-relocation-kit-oem-82215349ab

There's a great YouTube video on the installation I watched several times before doing it:

Good luck, JBC

OP
OP
Jmos4

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

I have the reinforcement bracket coming on my JLUR, heard conflicting info on weather I need the relocation kit, and won't those brackets just add to the weight issue?

Regards,
Jim

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I installed my mopar kit, but here's my serious question. The tire bracket is beefier, but the hinges didn't change. Isn't that what's supporting the real weight? How much weight can the hinges take before bending? I haven't found an answer though....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmos4

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed my mopar kit, but here's my serious question. The tire bracket is beefier, but the hinges didn't change. Isn't that what's supporting the real weight? How much weight can the hinges take before bending? I haven't found an answer though....
Hi,

Yeah the bracket reinforcement does reinforcement the tailgate, the question about the hinges is kind of why I made the post, hopefully while latched there will be less load on everything, as hate to spring for the reinforcement only to have to go to a aftermarket design.

Regards,
Jim

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
While that is a good question it's not the problem the bracket solves. Over the years the failure point in heavy spares was the tailgate itself, not the hinges.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
That was my question too as I was installing everything yesterday. The only think I can come up with is it's about leverage and physics. The heavy duty bracket fits snugly over the stock hardware - even resting on the top and bottom flanges (?) attaching to the gate (not the body/tub). Because the gate is closed the vast majority of time, and when closed - it's not simply the hinges bearing all that weight... it's the entire contact points and latching mechanism holding everything in place.

In fact - when I removed the painted bolts from the hinges I simply used painter's tape (as he does in the video) to hold them in place so the tailgate didn't fall down - which it came no where near doing. That proves the weight of the tire isn't being supported by the hinges except for when the gate is open. Because the bracket sits so closely to the hinge itself, doesn't allow any flex to develop.

I have a tailgate table that supports up to 75 pounds, so if the gate is open with 75lbs of stuff on the table - and a giant tire - that's cause for pause. But even if so - I'm stopped, and not bouncing around.

Like I said, ounce of prevention... If the Jeep engineers designed it to work, my money's on it works. Hope that helps.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Being an "ounce of prevention guy," I did the install yesterday, along with the Mopar relocation brackets. It's easy and fun to do by yourself, though of course more expensive than it should be for what it is.
Nice setup, but yeah, that is a bunch of loot for what it is.
Sponsored