Sponsored

35s on JLR. Do I need a lift for some light to moderate wheeling?

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Hey All, I’ve got some questions about my JLR with 35s. I picked up an XR take-off suspension and tires over the weekend. I was expecting that the 35s wouldn’t allow a ton of space in the fenders, but this is what I wound up with. I’ve got exactly one weekend before I take the new Rubicon out for some light to moderate wheeling (Badlands offroad park in IN).

My questions: Am I going to tear the fenders off of this thing without a lift and/or bumpstops? Any potential damage beyond some light rubbing? I’ve got this XR suspension sitting on my workbench but it’s missing the front bump stops and rear sway bar links. Should I sink some more money into this kit to replace the missing parts and go for it? or does this look like it should be fine on the trails for now?

edited for clarity
Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on JLR. Do I need a lift for some light to moderate wheeling? 2D2B1D30-4F0E-4637-AE81-610D58FC07CF
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Thanks, I should have clarified. My questions are specifically about the 35s on there now. I’d feel absolutely confident on the stock 33s, but I’m new to 35s on these and gonna play it super safe until the temp tags come off! Will the larger tire, and -6 offset put me at risk of doing any damage FROM the 35s?

Robo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door JL Sport
I’d run it like it is and pack some extra fender clips just in case you pop them off. It looks like you have decent clearance, maybe saved a little weight with your half doors.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Won't know til you try!
I'm only half serious. To know before you go off road, you'd need to take it the springs and see where any contract is at full stuff. Or, you could do what I do... go out on the trail, and just go slow, listen, get out and look when you get flexy.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It depends...

If you are going to do hard core rock climbing like you see on Youtube, just about any Jeep will rub at some point.

If you will be running the trails that normal, everyday Jeepers use, you should be okay.

Just take your time and see what happens. Make adjustments as needed.

Let us know how it works out.

MrTimberwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2016 JKU
Hey All, I’ve got some questions about my JLR with 35s. I picked up an XR take-off suspension and tires over the weekend. I was expecting that the 35s wouldn’t allow a ton of space in the fenders, but this is what I wound up with. I’ve got exactly one weekend before I take the new Rubicon out for some light to moderate wheeling (Badlands offroad park in IN).

My questions: Am I going to tear the fenders off of this thing without a lift and/or bumpstops? Any potential damage beyond some light rubbing? I’ve got this XR suspension sitting on my workbench but it’s missing the front bump stops and rear sway bar links. Should I sink some more money into this kit to replace the missing parts and go for it? or does this look like it should be fine on the trails for now?

edited for clarity
Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on JLR. Do I need a lift for some light to moderate wheeling? 2D2B1D30-4F0E-4637-AE81-610D58FC07CF
2 months ago I put 35x12.50 R17 with -12mm offset on my JLR. NO LIFT yet. went off roading July 4th weekend, I guess what you would call moderate off road. No issues what so ever. I will tell you, you have tons of room on the front but not so much on rear. But again I had wheels off ground in deep spots no rubbing that we could see or hear. 1st time out with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they did pretty good. I was in mud, dry dirt, and water.

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
When I put on 35's I went safe with a 2.5" lift. I don't think it's a must, but gives me some extra piece of mind; the biggest downside is cost - something you'll have to decide for yourself.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I had 35x11.5s on my unlifted JLR for a couple of months.

I had some very light rub in the upper rear of the rear liners. It seemed like it was of no concern. Keep in mind, the only time(s) a rub would occur would be full stuff while in 4low going very slow

If traveling fast then the rubbing would be more concerning... but if I was doing full flex while going fast... some rubbing in fender liners would probably not be my biggest concern.

edit: Also had stock Rubicon Wheels (so OEM rim offset and width).

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It'll be fine, but I would say that even if there was rubbing. Everyone loses their sh*t over rubbing, but it's not a big deal when it is at the extremes. If the rear tires rub slightly when they're stuffed, that's going to happen so infrequently to be insignificant. Who cares if you have a clean spot on the plastic where the tire touched. Oh my gawd, the sky is falling.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The plastic clips in the fenders will be your friend in this case. Like stated above, buy a bunch (couple fenders worth) of clips and keep them in the glove box.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ran 35s on my JLUR without a lift on quite a few trails and there was only minor rubbing on the rear inner fender.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on JLR. Do I need a lift for some light to moderate wheeling? 1657215804824

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on JLR. Do I need a lift for some light to moderate wheeling? 1657231250443

Last edited:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
His Jeep should be an inch or so taller than a standard gas Rubicon since he has installed the XR take off suspensions. That should make rubbing less likely.
Sponsored