35s on a stock unlimited sport?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
How do you like the toyos? I have Goodyear wrangler duratracs on my silverado and there kind of loud, produce like a droning whine especially on the highway. Trying to see what I can get for the wife's jeeps in thr 35 range that will be close to stock on thr highway, being that we use it the most to travel.
I like them. I’m running the AT2’s but they have 3’s out now. I run 17 miles each way on the highway back and forth to work every day. In my opinion only a little louder than stock tires. I rotate them every oil change and they are wearing pretty good. This is my first set of toyos but I’ve heard you can get 50k out of them so we will see.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Keep in mind that lift lit heights are based on the height of a stock Rubicon. You will get 1"-2" more with that lift on a Sport or Sahara. Spacers are exactly as described, since they are just simply moving the stock spring location..

I would highly suggest staying with a tire that that has a load range C. The E rated tires can ride harsh. A 315/70R17 BFG KO2 in load range C is 34.4" tall, most 35s are spec'd at 34.5" tall. The BFG is quiet and handles all weather conditions well.

You don't want her to hate a harsh riding Jeep that hard to get in and out of. Go with a 2" spacer lift and some nice riding Ranch 9000s or similar.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A better option might be:
2" spacers (not as stiff as Rubicon springs, better ride)
Longer better shocks (for heavier tires)
Rubicon high fender flares if needed
295/70/17 or 305/70/17' (305/70's limit tire choice)
The Auto 8 speed handles bigger tires better than the 6 speed due to more gears and closer ratio between them. Acceleration is less effected.

With 305/65/17 tires, 2" spacers, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide.

climb.png

IMG_4860.JPG

With 295/70/17 and 2" spacer lift, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide. Much quieter tires and smooth ride.

IMG_6204.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG
Those EXP’s look good. Think the sidewall is tough enough?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I had 34" Toyo AT2s on my F150. They were very loud and rode like hell. They were sooth riding on the highway though and took very little weight to balance. But every bump or imperfection was jarring. My wife hated riding in my truck after that. About 20k miles in, the wet weather traction was terrible. I found a set of Raptor take offs and it's a night and day difference. The 315 BFGs are quiet, smooth and are a great all around tire, rain shine or snow.

I realize that I'm comparing an F150 experience, but a Jeep is smaller and lighter so take it for what it's worth. The noise and ride didn't matter to me, the wet weather traction did though.

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
Keep in mind that lift lit heights are based on the height of a stock Rubicon. You will get 1"-2" more with that lift on a Sport or Sahara. Spacers are exactly as described, since they are just simply moving the stock spring location..

I would highly suggest staying with a tire that that has a load range C. The E rated tires can ride harsh. A 315/70R17 BFG KO2 in load range C is 34.4" tall, most 35s are spec'd at 34.5" tall. The BFG is quiet and handles all weather conditions well.

You don't want her to hate a harsh riding Jeep that hard to get in and out of. Go with a 2" spacer lift and some nice riding Ranch 9000s or similar.
I would say I'm probably leaning towards a spacer lift so that it doesn't end up too tall and can still be more capable than stock. Now just trying to sort out the tires. Your post is spot on I don't want her to hate it. I've read some post and some people say bfgs are quite some say they loud. Same things with the toyos. So I'm still up in the air. I've also seen people running general grabbers and nitto tires. I feel like the tires are the hardest choice haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
I like them. I’m running the AT2’s but they have 3’s out now. I run 17 miles each way on the highway back and forth to work every day. In my opinion only a little louder than stock tires. I rotate them every oil change and they are wearing pretty good. This is my first set of toyos but I’ve heard you can get 50k out of them so we will see.
A little louder than stock is definitely what we can deal with.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I believe that BFG is the only manufacturer that is close to 35" in a load range C with the 315/70R17. Maybe others have entered.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Keep an eye on Rubicon suspension takeoffs (4 door hard top) .
You should get minimum 1.75" lift, for about $150.
33-34" tire is all you need to make her like that jeep more then you, as long as you have nice wheels.

I have 34" tire, 295 wide -looks massive with -12 offset. On Sahara with stock suspension - soon to throw in rubicon suspension.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? 20201003_130427

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? 20200728_172224

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Those EXP’s look good. Think the sidewall is tough enough?
2 ply casing.........most tires are 2 or 3 ply casing. Its an E load rating tire. We shall see how they hold up. If they don't........that's why they weren't $325 per tire, but they ride nice. I don't do regular hard core rock crawling so they should be fine.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that BFG is the only manufacturer that is close to 35" in a load range C with the 315/70R17. Maybe others have entered.
34.4" unmounted/unloaded........really is about a 34" tire.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
34.4" unmounted/unloaded........really is about a 34" tire.
Since most 35s actually spec at 34.5”, I doubt anyone would notice a difference between the two once mounted.​

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
2 ply casing.........most tires are 2 or 3 ply casing. Its an E load rating tire. We shall see how they hold up. If they don't........that's why they weren't $325 per tire, but they ride nice. I don't do regular hard core rock crawling so they should be fine.
I’ve no plans to rock crawl but if there is small to moderate obstacle, it would be confidence inspiring to know how tough the sidewalls are to the occasionally pointy-ish rock.

I’m actually thinking of these tires for our few thousand mile road trip and saving my 17’s for some MT’s and my regear this fall.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Friends Sport on 315/70/17 Patagonias. Stock height. Just had to remove the euro-bumper thingies.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? FC74385F-D472-44A0-9396-0AA089F7F0C3

then i added Rubicon springs/shocks AND RC spacer lift. Rides like stock rubi
Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? 894B39DC-D768-4F6D-9CE7-4DCF35DD6E29

also put Rubi shocks/springs on my wifes cousins Sport. Its on 35” KM3 which are heavy and stiff due to E rating. You can feel the difference from my Patagonias.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? BCB0E9EF-777E-4CD8-9CB5-D58C4369FD3E

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So that's the duratrac 2inch Euro sport and .5 inch spacer 🤔 seems kind of high lol I'm afraid of making it to high and her hate having to climb in lol but that might just be a casualty of war hahaha beautiful rig btw thanks
if youre going 35s with a proper lift it WILL be high. If you care about MPGs theyll be gone. And it is going to ride noticeably different. That combined with the small axles and strain on your transmission if you dont regear. For a daily driver a sport on 35s is suboptimal. Just being realistic, know the cons. But yeah the JLU on 35s looks just right I agree!, and the JL sport axles have shown to handle 35s so far, lots of people doing it. For the rest of the components idk as these jeeps arent old yet. Not trying to scare you, just think it through.

Have you consider 33s? theyre smaller but more than sufficient for light off roading and way less stress on your Jeep.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
if youre going 35s with a proper lift it WILL be high. If you care about MPGs theyll be gone. And it is going to ride noticeably different. That combined with the small axles and strain on your transmission if you dont regear. For a daily driver a sport on 35s is suboptimal. Just being realistic, know the cons. But yeah the JLU on 35s looks just right I agree!, and the JL sport axles have shown to handle 35s so far, lots of people doing it. For the rest of the components idk as these jeeps arent old yet. Not trying to scare you, just think it through.

Have you consider 33s? theyre smaller but more than sufficient for light off roading and way less stress on your Jeep.

Just so you are aware the axles are the same on the rubicon, sport and Sahara the only difference is spline count 29 sport/Sahara and 32 rubicon and if you have the 44 rear it is the same axle. The only other difference is the rubicon shafts are longer. As far as fuel mileage I get 18-19 highway and 16-17 city. Only dropped by 1mpg from stock tires. There is no strain in the trans as 7th and 8th are overdrive gears anyways and are there for cafe standards.
Sponsored