Sponsored

35s on a stock unlimited sport?

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
Morning everyone!
So we picked up my wifes JL on 2/20 and I've been trying to research different set ups for up grades but things seem to get confusing going back and for reading things on rubicons vs sports. My wife wouldn't mind if the jeep looked "cooler" as she stated, but I come from an xj background and things needs to be functional for me. The jeep will mostly be a mall crawler but we are interested in finding some light trails that won't send her into a panic lol. We would also like to keep it quite on the highway and not to high where it's an effort for her to climb in every day.

So here are my 2 senerios.
First I was set on the
Dynatrac 2 inch Enduro sport lift with a set of 35s. I think the ones I saw had a -12 offset. With this set up I just want to make sure that I wouldn't need adjustable lower control arms or a longer front drive shaft(which is fine if I do I'm not afraid of any of the work just want to be prepared) also is there anyone with this set up wouldn't mind taking a picture with a tape measure from the ground to where you step in it would be greatly appreciated!

Second. I've gone back and forth with putting rubicon take off stuff on it and calling it a day with a upgraded wheel ans tire, but will 35s clear on a sport with rubicon suspension with stock fender flares?

THIRD. and the main reason I'm posting because I can't find the answer anywhere is what would happen if I bought a set of barricade tube fenders, and aftermarket fender liners and put a 35 inch tire on whatever backspace rim I need to not rub at full turn on a stock JL unlimited sport. Will they fit. Will they rub. Will it articulate (I can change the shocks and bumps and stuff if necessary) or will it just look stupid and not work lol. I'm also not sure if day a baracade fender offers more clearance then a rubicon fender but these are my thoughts
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
This is our sport S with 35s, before it got lifted. The only thing I had to do was remove the airdams between the fenders and front bumper. After that there was no rubbing at all for ON ROAD driving. However, in this configuration there is very little flex and it isn’t appropriate for off roading. The wheels on this are Fuel Beast wheels with a -12 offset and 6” of back spacing.

For a lift, we went with @RanchoShocks cheapest 3.5” lift. The ride was a bit rougher but it was amazing what this thing could do off road. If you go that route I only recommend putting track bars and geometry correction brackets on it. I‘ve heard good things about the dynotrac lifts as well.

43503508992_a5bd7cd828_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
This is our sport S with 35s, before it got lifted. The only thing I had to do was remove the airdams between the fenders and front bumper. After that there was no rubbing at all for ON ROAD driving. However, in this configuration there is very little flex and it isn’t appropriate for off roading. The wheels on this are Fuel Beast wheels with a -12 offset and 6” of back spacing.

For a lift, we went with @RanchoShocks cheapest 3.5” lift. The ride was a bit rougher but it was amazing what this thing could do off road. If you go that route I only recommend putting track bars and geometry correction brackets on it. I‘ve heard good things about the dynotrac lifts as well.
Your picture didn't post do you mind trying again sorry to be a bother. Lol. So would you say if you put a high clearance fender on the stock suspension with 35s you would of had flex? Or is it so tight your not even getting much flex with higher fenders.
THANKS!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
A better option might be:
2" spacers (not as stiff as Rubicon springs, better ride)
Longer better shocks (for heavier tires)
Rubicon high fender flares if needed
295/70/17 or 305/70/17' (305/70's limit tire choice)
The Auto 8 speed handles bigger tires better than the 6 speed due to more gears and closer ratio between them. Acceleration is less effected.

With 305/65/17 tires, 2" spacers, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? climb

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? IMG_4860.JPG

With 295/70/17 and 2" spacer lift, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide. Much quieter tires and smooth ride.

IMG_6204.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your picture didn't post do you mind trying again sorry to be a bother. Lol. So would you say if you put a high clearance fender on the stock suspension with 35s you would of had flex? Or is it so tight your not even getting much flex with higher fenders.
THANKS!
Thanks, I fixed the picture.
You could get some flex out of a high clearance fender but it still wouldn’t be that much. If you’re going to go offroad, you really do need a lift kit.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, this is after the Rancho lift
43576188382_f90e446245_b.jpg

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
A better option might be:
2" spacers (not as stiff as Rubicon springs, better ride)
Longer better shocks (for heavier tires)
Rubicon high fender flares if needed
295/70/17 or 305/70/17' (305/70's limit tire choice)
The Auto 8 speed handles bigger tires better than the 6 speed due to more gears and closer ratio between them. Acceleration is less effected.

With 305/65/17 tires, 2" spacers, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock unlimited sport? 43576188382_f90e446245_b

With 295/70/17 and 2" spacer lift, wheels +12 offset, 5.2 backspace 8.5" wide. Much quieter tires and smooth ride.

That is pretty much the look I was going for. I was a little leary on using spacers I felt like for 2 inches id be better off with the dynatrac lift. I wasn't sure how the spaces held up and actually rode. Are those Rubicon fenders on yours or stock sport they appear to be sport but just confirming.
Thanks sweet ride!

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
BTW, this is after the Rancho lift
Ah yes I've read your post elsewhere! It is real tight with those 35s and stock suspension so there goes that idea hahaha. I love the way your rig sits but unfortunately I don't think I can convince the wife to let me go that high considering she already has to climb into my truck she doesn't want her jeep to be THAT much of a climb. Beautiful jeep thanks for the help!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
That is pretty much the look I was going for. I was a little leary on using spacers I felt like for 2 inches id be better off with the dynatrac lift. I wasn't sure how the spaces held up and actually rode. Are those Rubicon fenders on yours or stock sport they appear to be sport but just confirming.
Thanks sweet ride!
Spacers have the same ride. Fender flares are stock. Better shocks were noticeable and reduced body roll and suspension shudder when encountering RR tracks and bridge seams which is exaggerated with bigger/heavier tires. (RS5000X). The stock shocks are gas charged but very easy to compress compared to the RS5000X. Its a firmer ride but not harsh.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
Spacers have the same ride. Fender flares are stock. Better shocks were noticeable and reduced body roll and suspension shudder when encountering RR tracks and bridge seams which is exaggerated with bigger/heavier tires. (RS5000X). The stock shocks are gas charged but very easy to compress compared to the RS5000X. Its a firmer ride but not harsh.
Which spacers did you get?

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Cheap and easy way would be RC 2.5” spacer lift and wheel spacers. You could then offroad on 35s no problem. No other parts needed.

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
Cheap and easy way would be RC 2.5” spacer lift and wheel spacers. You could then offroad on 35s no problem. No other parts needed.
I'd like to say that cheap and easy isn't exactly most important to me as I would want it to still function really well. On my xj I started with a RC lift and wasn't a huge fan of it, eventually switched to rubicon express springs rock krawler track bars and controll arms bilstein shocks etc etc. I'm sure they have come a long way since then but 😬 lol.

I guess the main question now is what benefits would I really be getting over the Dynatrac Euro sport which seems to have amazing reviews vs just throwing in some spacers and shocks and calling it a day. She's not really every goin to be hanging the axle over a rock to warrant a full spring, but do I prefer to know I could 🤔

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My buddy wheels his Sport pretty good on RC lift on 35s.

i just installed the Duratrac on mine. Its fantastic. I highly recommend it.
Sponsored