35s on a JLU Sport

Broojer935

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2018
Does anyone have a guide on all of the different options to making this happen? Right now I have a pretty much stock 2018 4- door JLU Sport as daily driver with a dana 44HD rear axle, but would like to take a few weekend trips do some mild off-roading in PA, as North NJ has made it illegal pretty much everywhere within a 3 hour radius.

With that being said, I am not trying to break the bank on crazy expensive lift kits and tires, but would still love to build it up a bit to make it feel more like a jeep. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read that the JL sport is going to need around a 2.5 inch lift kit to fit the 35 inch tires with the stock fender flares and no rubbing issues.

The current one I am looking at is

Superlift K175F 2.5" Lift Kit with Fox Racing 2.0 Shox performance IFP
https://www.quadratec.com/p/superli...erformance-ifp-shocks-jeep-wrangler-jL-4-door

I am not sure if this lift with the shocks would be in my best interest, but I've seen some people complaining the rough country kit, which is why I was looking at this one. Maybe a spacer lift kit would be better? I have heard that the springs will allow a smoother ride and better overall handling and that the spacer lift does not handle weight well.

As for the tires I was thinking a more aggressive A/T tire and was unsure on whether I could keep the stock wheels for the time being and get some spacers with those for a slightly wider stance.

I am assuming on top of this I would need a re-gear and alignment.

I would rather spend a little extra if it will mean that there will be a less wear later on as well.

Any advice or articles would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

K.O.M

First Name
KING OFTHE MALL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K.O.M
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a guide on all of the different options to making this happen? Right now I have a pretty much stock 2018 4- door JLU Sport as daily driver with a dana 44HD rear axle, but would like to take a few weekend trips do some mild off-roading in PA, as North NJ has made it illegal pretty much everywhere within a 3 hour radius.

With that being said, I am not trying to break the bank on crazy expensive lift kits and tires, but would still love to build it up a bit to make it feel more like a jeep. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read that the JL sport is going to need around a 2.5 inch lift kit to fit the 35 inch tires with the stock fender flares and no rubbing issues.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/superli...erformance-ifp-shocks-jeep-wrangler-jL-4-door

I am not sure if this lift with the shocks would be in my best interest, but I've seen some people complaining the rough country kit, which is why I was looking at this one. Maybe a spacer lift kit would be better? I have heard that the springs will allow a smoother ride and better overall handling and that the spacer lift does not handle weight well.

As for the tires I was thinking a more aggressive A/T tire and was unsure on whether I could keep the stock wheels for the time being and get some spacers with those for a slightly wider stance.

I would rather spend a little extra if it will mean that there will be a less wear later on as well.

35s NO LIFT

1ECD59B2-52E1-47CC-8501-567AB138C189.jpeg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

35s NO LIFT

1ECD59B2-52E1-47CC-8501-567AB138C189.jpeg
That will rub like crazy while articulating. If you don’t disconnect sway bars then probably ok.

I have 35s on my sport. I have oem rubi suspension and fenders, no rubbing, but right there.

A simple 2.5” spacer lift might work alone. Spacer lift and rubi suspension combined would certainly work.

Also mopar lift alone will do it nicely.

I havent regeared. Probably one day. Its a little tougher trying to climb over obstacles as i have to step on the gas more, but its doable. Thats really the only issue why you would need gears, for crawling. On the street/highway it works just fine. I have the 8spd though. With the manual its not as great or so ive read.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

For a little more than that kit you can get the mopar lift which comes with better shocks.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I havent regeared. Probably one day. Its a little tougher trying to climb over obstacles as i have to step on the gas more, but its doable. Thats really the only issue why you would need gears, for crawling.
Even when you shift into first manually? In low range the auto defaults to second gear, but you can shift into first manually for crawling.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Even when you shift into first manually? In low range the auto defaults to second gear, but you can shift into first manually for crawling.
I havent tried that. Didnt think of it. But being that im at full stop and then trying to slowly accelerate i would think i was in first gear already, but i dont recall

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I never paid attention to the gears becauseautomatic but i will next time. Thanks for the tip :beer:

And wtf does it shift to 2nd automatically in 4lo? Lol

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Because the gearing is so low in the transfer case and trans that you're pretty much redlining the motor at 5mph in 1st, which isn't really necessary for average strolls through the woods.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Rubicon take off springs and shocks. Terraflex 1.5in leveling kit. Tactik 17x9in 5in back spacing. 35in Toyo at2. No rubbing at all, but no off roading either. Also has mopar lower control arms. Rides and drives great, and did not cost much as most of the parts were used.

James

20190908_154021.jpg

20190822_141751.jpg

Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Rubicon take off springs and shocks. Terraflex 1.5in leveling kit. Tactik 17x9in 5in back spacing. 35in Toyo at2. No rubbing at all, but no off roading either. Also has mopar lower control arms. Rides and drives great, and did not cost much as most of the parts were used.

James

20190908_154021.jpg

20190822_141751.jpg
Hey are you still running this ?

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW

James

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a JLU Sport 20190822_141751

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a JLU Sport 20190822_141751
I also did a Rubicon spring swap and probably will add the TF 1.5" leveling kit for 35" tires. How much wheel well clearance do you have between top of tire and bottom of the fenders?

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also did a Rubicon spring swap and probably will add the TF 1.5" leveling kit for 35" tires. How much wheel well clearance do you have between top of tire and bottom of the fenders?
I am still running this set up and still very happy with it. I recently installed Fabtech inner and outer fender fenders so the clearance is not the same anymore. I am planning to run 37s when these need replacing. I plan to have it re geared by then as well.

James

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I am still running this set up and still very happy with it. I recently installed Fabtech inner and outer fender fenders so the clearance is not the same anymore. I am planning to run 37s when these need replacing. I plan to have it re geared by then as well.

James
I want decent clearance, but at the same time not "over lift" it and make the 35's look small. Also got Ace rack rails going on along with clear front signal markers, LED switchback lights. Lots of mods coming, so the build is progressing.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I did the fenders it looked great. Even after the fenders it still looks good, but I will probably still go with 37s.
Sponsored