35s on 18 or 20" wheels?

bhartz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
I need some help and advice. I have decided on 35 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. What I'm not sure about is the size of the wheels. What are the pros and cons of going 18s or 20s. I've heard 20s will give you a better drive on the road (which is what I'll be using it for 90% of the time.) Any truth to that? I'm worried that the 20s will be to big, meaning not enough tire. Not a big fan of all wheel and little tire. Another question I have is about the width of the wheels. I want to get the XD Monster 2 wheels, but they are only offered in 10 width. Can I put 12.5 width tires on 10" width wheels? I'm also planning on a Teraflex 2 1/2" lift, once the finally release it. I've heard lots of good things about Teraflex. Anyone heard anything about their products for the JLs?
Sponsored

Footbull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited White Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I need some help and advice. I have decided on 35 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. What I'm not sure about is the size of the wheels. What are the pros and cons of going 18s or 20s. I've heard 20s will give you a better drive on the road (which is what I'll be using it for 90% of the time.) Any truth to that? I'm worried that the 20s will be to big, meaning not enough tire. Not a big fan of all wheel and little tire. Another question I have is about the width of the wheels. I want to get the XD Monster 2 wheels, but they are only offered in 10 width. Can I put 12.5 width tires on 10" width wheels? I'm also planning on a Teraflex 2 1/2" lift, once the finally release it. I've heard lots of good things about Teraflex. Anyone heard anything about their products for the JLs?
Thinking about the same thing

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Ok so More first timers here. Do either of you know how many times this has been discussed and how easy it is to do research on this topic by using the search bar? 20’s on 35’s not only suck but you will be showing yr hand as a newb with no experience...

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so More first timers here. Do either of you know how many times this has been discussed and how easy it is to do research on this topic by using the search bar? 20’s on 35’s not only suck but you will be showing yr hand as a newb with no experience...
How does it suck? If their application is 95% road whats wrong with 20 on 35? If their application for the vehicle is mainly off road or rock crawling, then maybe I would advise them towards 16 to 18" wheel and tire combo. But dont tell them the set up sucks when you dont know what their application is for.

20's on 35s look good and are ok for minor and light off roading, like farmers roads to camp/hunting trails depending on tire type AT or otherwise. Normally you do want a larger sidewall for more difficult extreme types of off roading. Search the thread using the magnifying glass top right by your profile, youll find a lot of people who've put 20' on 35s and 33s to give you perspective on what or how it will look.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

Footbull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited White Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL

Captian Bligh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Overland 5.7 Hemi (T100, 2nd gen 4Runner, 2nd gen Tacoma)
If you’re not planning to air down 20” are good. I checked the tire specs and 10” wheel width is perfect for those 35x12.50” tires.

Ask yourself two questions.
-Do I like the look of 20” or 18”?
-will I ever air down?

Personally I love the look of 20” and 35s on full-size pickups.
On Jeep Wranglers I like the 17-18”.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Im sure you have already resolved your issue but for other readers theres nothing at all wrong with 20" rims on 35" tires !!! . Mine handle well , look great and still have plenty of tire showing .
where Im from there is no rock crawling or any major places for serious off roading so I wont be needing to air down .....If my intention was to to do some serious crawling I would have went with a different configuration that suited my needs .

022.jpg

027.jpg

038.jpg

SouthernBuckeye

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Im sure you have already resolved your issue but for other readers theres nothing at all wrong with 20" rims on 35" tires !!! . Mine handle well , look great and still have plenty of tire showing .
where Im from there is no rock crawling or any major places for serious off roading so I wont be needing to air down .....If my intention was to to do some serious crawling I would have went with a different configuration that suited my needs .

022.jpg

027.jpg

038.jpg
Awesome set up! What tires/ wheels do you have?

Sponsored

shellgirls4

First Name
Teri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Snazzberry-Satin Black Grill-2.0 Turb
Check out my garage for all the details

Toyo open country and black rhino wheels

Thanks you !
I checked out your garage and it says 38" tires and 4" lift. Are the pics you posted of 35s and 20's and you have since upsized the tires?. Really like the set up in the pics. What is the width of the 20s?

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
17s

More selection of wheels, and tires!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I checked out your garage and it says 38" tires and 4" lift. Are the pics you posted of 35s and 20's and you have since upsized the tires?. Really like the set up in the pics. What is the width of the 20s?
The Garge pics are a combination of 35s - 37s - and the 38s

the wheels are 20x9

Rides great, good response and about 18.5mpg
Sponsored