35k+ Km with the wrong engine oil.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
So I just found out that the dealership had been putting Rotella T6 in for my last 3 oil changes.

As I understand this doesn't meet MS-12991.

I also got this fun notification today.

It's going in to the dealership today for this + other electric issues likwe've dropping power steering.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35k+ Km with the wrong engine oil. 20211010_120301
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Too many dealers making mistakes on simple procedures. I do any and all maintenance I possibly can. Keep us informed with what the dealers says/does in response to using the wrong oil all this time.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm getting nervous about the "free" oil changes...
Do it yourself. It is the easiest job in the world, even a monkey could do it.

The differentials are even easier and dealers charge an arm and a leg.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Parratt

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it yourself. It is the easiest job in the world, even a monkey could do it.

The differentials are even easier and dealers charge an arm and a leg.
Im doing this with the next jeep, Tried to take advantage of the "Second/Fourth/Sixth oil change is free" that the dealer ship offers here, No jeep wave in Canada

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Penzoil Euro Platinum here. Too expensive to not change your own oil.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I do my oil changes, tire rotations and differential fluid changes. It’s simple and can be therapeutic and for some fun. Give it a try the money you save will more than pay for Amsoil products.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
Parratt

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do my oil changes, tire rotations and differential fluid changes. It’s simple and can be therapeutic and for some fun. Give it a try the money you save will more than pay for Amsoil products.
I Spend my days turning wrenches on Maint battle tanks, sadly sometimes i just dont wana do a oil change when im off, plus the dealer " free oil change" thing was worth it finanically. if they used the right oil LOL

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I Spend my days turning wrenches on Maint battle tanks, sadly sometimes i just dont wana do a oil change when im off, plus the dealer " free oil change" thing was worth it finanically. if they used the right oil LOL
Very expensive "if"!

JL 3.0 they use the wrong oil
JL 3.6 they give you +1 qt for free

I guess if you have a 2.0 or 6.3 then you might be OK.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Parratt

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get this documentation? It looks like I may have the same problem.
Dealership, Star notification or something like that, contact your dealerships service manager and they can pull it for you.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Logan I can relate 100%. No matter what anyone tells you it's sometimes just easier to let someone else do the work regardless of simplicity. The trick is finding a tech you can trust. It all starts as soon as you park your vehicle at the dealers lot. Do not drive the vehicle in the service lineup. All you will get is a service writer that does not know squat about wrenching.

I walk into the service department and immediately ask to see the service manager. If I'm satisfied with his answers to my questions I ask to see the service bay and meet the tech doing the work. Only then do I allow them to touch my vehicle.

I tell them what I want done. If it's out of my scope of expertise I find out exactly what is involved for the diagnostic, labor hours, warranty work, etc. Sometimes you have to walk out and seek another dealership. I never ever EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES drop my vehicle until I meet up with the person turning the wrenches and I'm satisfied it will be done properly.

Also, I would not worry too much that the oil wasn't rated for your motor. As long as it was operating under normal conditions the Rotella is fine in that motor.

OP
OP
Parratt

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership drained wrong oil, ran a engine oil flush, put the new stuff in and gave me a B2B Warranty Extension till 160K Kms (100k Miles) for free. Ill update the thread if i get any issues in the future.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Dealership drained wrong oil, ran a engine oil flush, put the new stuff in and gave me a B2B Warranty Extension till 160K Kms (100k Miles) for free. Ill update the thread if i get any issues in the future.
That stinks that in the US we get 5yr/100mile powertrain warranties and up north, you get 100km :/
Sponsored