35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I wanted to pose this question about 35" tires vs 37" tires on a JLRU for a daily driver. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, unless you are driving 70-90 mph on the freeways, you WILL get run over. I prefer the looks and clearance advantages of 37" tires over the 35" tires, but was curious about how secure the ride is when traveling 70-90 mph? I commute about 30 miles a day. My understanding is that 35" tires on the Rubicon will work fine on the factory wheels/rims and that, for the most part, a lift is not needed. For the 37" tires, wider wheels/rims are recommended and a minimal 2" lift is needed, although most of you have probably gone with a 2.5" - 3.5" lift. So I guess the question has to include a lift with the 37" tires.

Answers here would really be important for those of you who have had both 35" tires and 37" tires/with a lift setups. As always, thank you for your responses
Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I wanted to pose this question about 35" tires vs 37" tires on a JLRU for a daily driver. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, unless you are driving 70-90 mph on the freeways, you WILL get run over. I prefer the looks and clearance advantages of 37" tires over the 35" tires, but was curious about how secure the ride is when traveling 70-90 mph? I commute about 30 miles a day. My understanding is that 35" tires on the Rubicon will work fine on the factory wheels/rims and that, for the most part, a lift is not needed. For the 37" tires, wider wheels/rims are recommended and a minimal 2" lift is needed, although most of you have probably gone with a 2.5" - 3.5" lift. So I guess the question has to include a lift with the 37" tires.

Answers here would really be important for those of you who have had both 35" tires and 37" tires/with a lift setups. As always, thank you for your responses
I think you can swing 37s on 2 inches of lift with the right wheels. But keep in mind that you are opening a signifcant can of worms. A stock suspension on 35s will ride and handle pretty nicely for your highway commute and will have pretty good ground clearance on the weekends. Nice looking stance too. A lifted jeep with 37 inch tires is going to be a LOT less fun on the highway, for one additional inch of clearance at the pumpkins (though break-over, approach and departure angles will be better). 37s put a lot more strain on the axles, brakes and other drivetrain components. And that is in addition to the big price you pay on handling, gas milage hit, gearing/acceleration, road noise, cost etc.,

In other words, 35s on a stock Rubicon suspension represent a good chunk of the value for a tiny fraction of the cost and aggravation. No doubt 37s have some real advantages (and millions of fans), but they take you down a significant wormhole of "I had to upgrade this because I upgraded that." If your Jeep will spend every single weekend on the trails and you don't mind the tradeoffs during the week, it's certainly worth it. But if it is primarily a highway vehicle, used for very occasional trail-running, you might want to just spend a little bit of the money 37s will end up costing you on a winch and tow strap and don't worry about needing to pull cable or take a bypass once every couple years. A Rubicon on 35s is an extremely capable vehicle - probably more capable than most drivers are skilled?

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I think you can swing 37s on 2 inches of lift with the right wheels. But keep in mind that you are opening a signifcant can of worms. A stock suspension on 35s will ride and handle pretty nicely for your highway commute and will have pretty good ground clearance on the weekends. Nice looking stance too. A lifted jeep with 37 inch tires is going to be a LOT less fun on the highway, for one additional inch of clearance at the pumpkins (though break-over, approach and departure angles will be better). 37s put a lot more strain on the axles, brakes and other drivetrain components. And that is in addition to the big price you pay on handling, gas milage hit, gearing/acceleration, road noise, cost etc.,

In other words, 35s on a stock Rubicon suspension represent a good chunk of the value for a tiny fraction of the cost and aggravation. No doubt 37s have some real advantages and (1M fans), but they take you down a significant wormhole of "I had to upgrade this because I upgraded that." If your Jeep will spend every single weekend on the trails and you don't mind the tradeoffs during the week, its probably worth it. But if it is primarily a highway vehicle, used for very occasional trail-running, you might want to just spend a little bit of the money 37s will end up costing you on a winch and tow strap and don't worry about needing to pull cable or take a bypass once every couple years. A Rubicon on 35s is an extremely capable vehicle - probably more capable than most drivers are skilled?
Thank you. Your response was VERY valuable. If I went with 35" X 12.5" X 17" tires on stock Rubicon wheels/rims, would I need to consider wheel spacers to clear the fender wells with lock to lock steering? Also, I love the looks when the tires stick out a couple inches past the outer edge of the stock fenders. Would the fact that the tires are 12.5" in width achieve this look or would wheel spacers behind the factory Rubi wheels be necessary?

Sponsored

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Thank you. Your response was VERY valuable. If I went with 35" X 12.5" X 17" tires on stock Rubicon wheels/rims, would I need to consider wheel spacers to clear the fender wells with lock to lock steering? Also, I love the looks when the tires stick out a couple inches past the outer edge of the stock fenders. Would the fact that the tires are 12.5" in width achieve this look or would wheel spacers behind the factory Rubi wheels be necessary?
I have a '19 JLUR with a 2" BDS lift and 35-12.5-17 BFG KO2's on stock Rubicon wheels. I would say that the ride is basically indistinguishable from stock. With the stock rims and 35's I have not even come close to having tire contact with any part of the vehicle and I do not have spacers. No hint of additional wander or wobble ever. Admittedly, I am not a serious off road guy, but the jeep has seen moderate trail use with times where 4 Lo, F&R lockers and swaybar disconnect were in use.

As far as the tire poke goes the outer shoulder of the tread is barely covered by the stock flares, and the widest part of the sidewall is about an inch outside of the flares. I also like the look of the tires sticking out a couple of inches from the flares, and I bought 2" spidertrax spacers when I bought my lift and tires. Unfortunately, I bought JK spacers not realizing the difference in the lug sizes between the JK and JL, so returned them and have not yet purchased the spacers for the JL....not sure that I will at this point as I really like the look.

All in all, I am VERY happy with the package, ride and handling is basically as it was stock, and I also tow a boat with it which is why I finally decided on 35's instead of 37's (boat and trailer package is just under the 3500lb tow limit). If my Jeep was stolen tomorrow I would put a replacement together exactly the same way as my current ride.

Jeff

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I’m on dirty life bead locks, 37/12.50/ 17s. -12 offset, 4.5” backspace. Travel sometimes an hour or two on freeway to get to wheeling destinations. At 75-80 mph, like being in a car. I can’t pinpoint why it drives so good, could be the tire/rim combo, or my Frankenstein lift I honestly don’t know. Here’s how much they stick out. I realize not everyone has the same taste in rims but I’m really impressed by these bead locks, they balanced out with not much weight. They’re a little heavier than most rims, maybe that has something to do with it, it’s above my pay grade.....:)

84307A8E-CF58-4B49-BC0D-0C8269767AEC.jpeg
93E1A38B-4E70-4EE2-877E-EDDDA95B2714.jpeg

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I’m on dirty life bead locks, 37/12.50/ 17s. -12 offset, 4.5” backspace. Travel sometimes an hour or two on freeway to get to wheeling destinations. At 75-80 mph, like being in a car. I can’t pinpoint why it drives so good, could be the tire/rim combo, or my Frankenstein lift I honestly don’t know. Here’s how much they stick out. I realize not everyone has the same taste in rims but I’m really impressed by these bead locks, they balanced out with not much weight. They’re a little heavier than most rims, maybe that has something to do with it, it’s above my pay grade.....:)

84307A8E-CF58-4B49-BC0D-0C8269767AEC.jpeg
93E1A38B-4E70-4EE2-877E-EDDDA95B2714.jpeg
Very nice!!!!

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I am on the mopar 2" lift and 37" STT pro's and run 75-80mph on my 30 mile commute...all of which the first mile and last mile are highway. The JL is not my daily, I end up driving my Ram on days it rains and in the winter months...but in the summer and when its nice the JL is a pleasure to drive, and I drive it as much as I can.

I am blown away at how nice it drives.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did you actually have them balanced? I haven't tried it....just assumed the tire shops would tell me no.
Yes, my 4x4 shop has a 17,000 dollar road force balance machine, latest and greatest I guess. About all they do there is big tires and a lot of bead locks.

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I have a 3.75 inch lift, 37 inch Milestar Patagonias, cheap-ass Pro Comp rims and never go under 80 on the highway. Drives perfect. My wife can't tell the difference from when it was stock, and she has just as heavy a foot as I do.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We have MC3.5 37 Pats and steersmarts steering with Nexus stabilizer. It still gets caught by the wind (obviously), but drives well at 80ish. I have no worry while driving. Not as good as stock, but lifts and tires do that. Worth the trade :)

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was all over this issue for the last few months, I ended up pulling the trigger on a mopar lift and ordered some Rhino Wheels 17/9.5 -18 offset with Milestar 35's Patagonia's. The dealer let me borrow a Sahara with mopar lift and Duratrac 35's and I was so impressed I called and cancelled my 37's and switched the order to 35's, thankfully nothing had shipped yet. I plan on doing 37's later and opening the can of worms, but for daily driver that needs to fit in an underground garage, I know I made the right choice. Here are some pictures of the Sahara with the mopar lift and 35's.

58499255043__5A8A1227-678B-4931-B76A-61F3F3412AE9.JPG

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Im running 37s with no lift on my mall crawling Rubicon, for now. I will be doing the Dynatrac lift, but I travel the interstates here and its the same way. 75-80 minimum, I stay right at 75-77 no problem. Im running 37x12.50 Toyo RTs on stock Rubicon wheels, Synergy wheel spacers. Anything above 80 really just isn't necessary for me in the Jeep. I have taken it to 90 and its fine but MTs and hybrid tires create heat quickly and its not worth it to me for sustain those speeds.

My "final" product with my Dynatrac lift with Metal Cloak control arms and track bars. I already have the front track bar, but with MC's duroflex joints, they're very compliant on the road, make no noise and flex like crazy. Match that with Dynatrac's matched spring rate and shock valving, it should ride very nice.
Sponsored