35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph

damageinc321

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
When I first got my JL, I put 35" Toyo MT's on it. I drove it with 35's for about a month, then after wheeling it a few times and dragging the belly over rocks too much, I decided to add a little lift. I found the Mopar lift for $795 online and ordered it. I had planned to stick with the 35's but after installing the lift, just felt the JL looked stupid with the 35's and 3" of lift, so I ordered 37x13.5 Coopers. I live in DFW too and commute about 30 miles on 121 to work. Unlike the JK which definitely felt slow on even 35's, the JL doesnt seem to take much of a hit from even 37's. I still drive 85-90 every day to work. I'll probably regear at some point but so far I don't feel a huge need to do so. I'm running 37x13.6 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on 17x8.5 Mopar Beadlocks.

IMG_20190720_203820-X3.jpg

IMG_20190720_180922-X3.jpg
Can you stay in 8th or does it constantly have to downshift? Did you get a tazer to do tire size correction?
Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
@Beaching631 Forgot to answer your last part.

My pic you originally quoted is of an earlier version of my Jeep. I'm now on 17x9 -12 wheels wrapped in 38x13.50's. Yes, any tire poke will result in dirty sides. More poke, more dirt.
I never pulled the trigger last fall, but am getting the itch again now that the weather will turn nice soon! I'm planning on 17x9 wheels with 0 offset and 35" tires. Still don't want the lift, because it won't clear the garage door. I'm asssuming you had to get a lift to run 38s.
Was wondering opinions from anyone like Headbarcode, etc that rides on extremely soft sand beaches. We go down to about 14psi but I don't think the vehicle is ever far enough off level to completely flex. I was wandering if soft sand driving would cause more or less rub than the rock crawling that a lot of the pictures here show. Actually my biggest question with rubbing would be at a full steering wheel turn on dry road.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I think you can swing 37s on 2 inches of lift with the right wheels. But keep in mind that you are opening a signifcant can of worms. A stock suspension on 35s will ride and handle pretty nicely for your highway commute and will have pretty good ground clearance on the weekends. Nice looking stance too. A lifted jeep with 37 inch tires is going to be a LOT less fun on the highway, for one additional inch of clearance at the pumpkins (though break-over, approach and departure angles will be better). 37s put a lot more strain on the axles, brakes and other drivetrain components. And that is in addition to the big price you pay on handling, gas milage hit, gearing/acceleration, road noise, cost etc.,

In other words, 35s on a stock Rubicon suspension represent a good chunk of the value for a tiny fraction of the cost and aggravation. No doubt 37s have some real advantages (and millions of fans), but they take you down a significant wormhole of "I had to upgrade this because I upgraded that." If your Jeep will spend every single weekend on the trails and you don't mind the tradeoffs during the week, it's certainly worth it. But if it is primarily a highway vehicle, used for very occasional trail-running, you might want to just spend a little bit of the money 37s will end up costing you on a winch and tow strap and don't worry about needing to pull cable or take a bypass once every couple years. A Rubicon on 35s is an extremely capable vehicle - probably more capable than most drivers are skilled?
i did a 1.5” spacer the last year and a half with 35s saved a ton of money improved ride quality and only touched my skid plates once on a very very hard trail. And I didn’t even hit it hard.. the vehicle was very capable .. so I totally agree with specific experience.
My Jeep is getting bought. Ack and I am getting some cash from the experience so on the new Jeep I will put a rock krawler lift and the new Ko2 cnlky that come out in Kay in them because they weight 68lbs.. but it’s only because I have money to burn and because I want it , knowing the tabby hole I am entering

0120AFC5-356C-4EBF-95D3-FDA2CF080169.jpeg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I never pulled the trigger last fall, but am getting the itch again now that the weather will turn nice soon! I'm planning on 17x9 wheels with 0 offset and 35" tires. Still don't want the lift, because it won't clear the garage door. I'm asssuming you had to get a lift to run 38s.
Was wondering opinions from anyone like Headbarcode, etc that rides on extremely soft sand beaches. We go down to about 14psi but I don't think the vehicle is ever far enough off level to completely flex. I was wandering if soft sand driving would cause more or less rub than the rock crawling that a lot of the pictures here show. Actually my biggest question with rubbing would be at a full steering wheel turn on dry road.
35's will fit on a stock height Rubicon, but may rub the plastic fender liners at full flex. I originally installed the 2" Dynatrac Endurosport lift, back when I had 35's. I bumped up to the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger after going to the 38x13.5's.

You'll definitely not see nearly as much flexing on the beach, like you would on a more moderate trail.

You shouldn't have any rubbing at full steering lock with 35's and 17x9 wheels with 0 offset.

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35's will fit on a stock height Rubicon, but may rub the plastic fender liners at full flex. I originally installed the 2" Dynatrac Endurosport lift, back when I had 35's. I bumped up to the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger after going to the 38x13.5's.

You'll definitely not see nearly as much flexing on the beach, like you would on a more moderate trail.

You shouldn't have any rubbing at full steering lock with 35's and 17x9 wheels with 0 offset.
Great thanks, I'm going to give it a try! Worst case scenario I can rip the beach pass off my windshield and put it on my wife's SUV (but I highly doubt that it will come to that). I'll post a picture once I get the new tires/wheels. Thanks for your help!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great thanks, I'm going to give it a try! Worst case scenario I can rip the beach pass off my windshield and put it on my wife's SUV (but I highly doubt that it will come to that). I'll post a picture once I get the new tires/wheels. Thanks for your help!
Aired down, the Jeep will do great on the beach, regardless of tires.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aired down, the Jeep will do great on the beach, regardless of tires.
Headbarcode: thanks so much for all the help! Here's a picture of the Jeep with the new wheels and tires. I will also post in the 35 inch no lift thread.
Can't believe I waited 2 and a half years to do this...it looks so much better now!
Now I could use advice from everyone on whether or not I need to modify the spare tire carrier. New wheel is significantly heavier and I can feel it on the tailgate.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph Jeep1
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph Jeep2
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph Jeep3

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Headbarcode: thanks so much for all the help! Here's a picture of the Jeep with the new wheels and tires. I will also post in the 35 inch no lift thread.
Can't believe I waited 2 and a half years to do this...it looks so much better now!
Now I could use advice from everyone on whether or not I need to modify the spare tire carrier. New wheel is significantly heavier and I can feel it on the tailgate.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph Jeep3
you are not touching the bumper, if anything just add hinge re-enforcement .. love the wheels.. I have the same tires you will be happy with them

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep1.jpg
Jeep2.jpg
Jeep3.jpg
Your Jeep looks great!

Sounds like you're tailgate would benefit from an adjustable carrier. The change of wheel and tire width, coupled with the different offset, has probably left a +/- 3/4" gap between the inner sidewall of the spare and the tailgates rubber bumpers.

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you are not touching the bumper, if anything just add hinge re-enforcement .. love the wheels.. I have the same tires you will be happy with them
Yes, my main worry is eventual hinge failure or hinge gap separation from the added weight of the larger and wider new wheel tire. Also the horror story of someone creasing their tailgate running a 35 spare is in the back of my mind. But I have heard that the Rubicon spare carrier is a little stronger than the Sport and Sahara.

So any suggestions on how to reinforce the hinges without breaking the bank? Thanks for any help :)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, my main worry is eventual hinge failure or hinge gap separation from the added weight of the larger and wider new wheel tire. Also the horror story of someone creasing their tailgate running a 35 spare is in the back of my mind. But I have heard that the Rubicon spare carrier is a little stronger than the Sport and Sahara.

So any suggestions on how to reinforce the hinges without breaking the bank? Thanks for any help :)
i don’t think rubicon the door is different at all, there is a Mopar hinge re enforcement option you can buy... I get them whe I order my jeep

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

The Rubicon carrier just holds the tire a little higher. Strength is probably the same. Mounts to the same location.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I try and avoid the Interstate as the drivers are....... well you know.

But when I do, I cruise at 78-79 as they won't give a ticket until 80+.

I see 7th gear a lot and 8th as well and turn about 1900 in 8th with stock 4.10.

Wear and tear on Jeep, sure but I wanted 37's..... Nuff said. LOL
I am on 35/12.5/17 NITTO M/T with stock Rubicon wheels and I never hit 8th gear. 😵💫

Let see on 37s
Sponsored