Sponsored

35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am on a Teraflex ST 2 2.5" lift with Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust shocks, Method Black 701 Trail series 17/8.5 wheels with 315/70/17 (35"X12.5) BFG KM3s on my 2019 JLUR, loving the setup

Jeep .jpg
I think I love the look!!!!

Same wheel/tire combo but stock suspension. Lift to come next year. Need to research which lift but happy with the ride and look at this point.
Method Wheels 3.jpg
Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
8E01A9AA-2378-4329-9BC5-80F6427BDBA0.jpeg
I gave it a ton of thought on my Sahara. I do a good amount of highway driving. I went 37x13.50’s. V6 and Auto. I did test fit 38’s. I will prob go 38’s on my rubi.

DaleT

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Mojito
Went with Rubicon Express lift which gave 2 inches of true lift on my 2018 JLUR and added 35” Toyo R/T tires on 18” Fuel Vapors with +1 offset. Rode well but steering became a little flighty at dead center. Added adjustable control arms and set castor at 6° which fixed steering issue. 2 months later went to 37’s of the same tire but 13.5 width on the same wheels. Steering once again became flighty in the center. Absolutely no rubbing and gas mileage improved over the 35”s (17 vs 15 mpg with standard transmission). Cruises well at 80 and almost never use 6th gear. Starts off the line 200% better than my JK did with 35’s. Will be upgrading with steersmarts, 4.56 gears and brakes. Possibly new axels too.

OnBordAdventures

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve got an RK 3.5 lift, steer smarts products and a PSC big bore kit. Raceline 17 inch beadlocks with 37in Nittos. I also have custom valved Radflos and it rides way better than stock ever did!

618E2BDD-2E75-4946-A1CD-CA0F0951E0BE.jpeg

6C8138CE-C80B-4649-9DD2-37B99D1C4A60.jpeg

AEE4DA84-D11A-4C74-B189-EE838ADA19CA.jpeg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Just an update and a thank you to twisty.

Got the tires marked for the spin balance at Discount 2 weeks ago. Got them balanced after breaking all 5 down a week ago. Drove to Colorado on them....night and day difference. Up to 80...they are very smooth. I do get a shimmy from 80-100 mph but it's harmonic and just depends on the road surface.

So, to anyone with beadlocks....take the time to have them marked, then spin them, then have them static balanced. It is TOTALLY worth the effort.

I will also say the auto is AWESOME. It's so good, I'd honestly like to look into a version that might work behind an LSX series (even though I don't really want a computer controlled trans). Only complaint is reverse takes way too much throttle input to get it to spin up.

I've got 4.10s and true 37s and it even hits 8th gear. What it's missing is off line/off idle torque....which could be corrected with some 4.88s or 5.13s (or...more likely in my case, once it's out of warranty, 5.38s and a RJ D60/14B combo I have laying around....and 4Ds).

After our first "long" road trip...I'm actually a lot more enamored with this Jeep than I was initially. It's pretty impressive. The belly clearance still sux, but it's nice enough that I'd actually consider spending more money on it.
No problem, glad my experience helped out.
I agree the driving experience on trips is pretty amazing on these JLs. The auto is crazy good and I am a manual guy from the start. Supposedly the auto's first gear is crazy low and many are claiming 4.88's are better then 5.13's for on road performance, mostly because the auto doesnt shift quite as good at 70 for passing or some such reason. The nod obviously goes to even lower for off road performance.

And yeah belly clearance does suck, 40s are the cure but that aint happening for me. 37s or 38s is it for me in about a year or so IF the axles on other jeeps hold up. Likely 4.88s for me.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I wanted to pose this question about 35" tires vs 37" tires on a JLRU for a daily driver. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, unless you are driving 70-90 mph on the freeways, you WILL get run over. I prefer the looks and clearance advantages of 37" tires over the 35" tires, but was curious about how secure the ride is when traveling 70-90 mph? I commute about 30 miles a day. My understanding is that 35" tires on the Rubicon will work fine on the factory wheels/rims and that, for the most part, a lift is not needed. For the 37" tires, wider wheels/rims are recommended and a minimal 2" lift is needed, although most of you have probably gone with a 2.5" - 3.5" lift. So I guess the question has to include a lift with the 37" tires.

Answers here would really be important for those of you who have had both 35" tires and 37" tires/with a lift setups. As always, thank you for your responses
Less than a month after taking delivery of my JL Rubicon I had slapped a budget boost and 37's on it, loaded the bitch up with my family of four and drove to Moab to have fun. Drive-ability was surprisingly great all around, whether on the flats or through the mountains. On the twisty stuff through the mountains I tend to drive my vehicles like their low slung sports cars and push them hard through curves and it felt stable and well planted.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up going with Black Rhino Armory Wheels with 17x9.5 4.5 backspacing, -18 offest, Mopar Lift and Milestar Patagonia's 35 inch tires. Came out really nice and drives better than stock!

10008724-1723-4407-9F4B-CD45D2963B83.JPG

B2E12EC3-7E12-4C10-87FC-25808366A967.JPG

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg
Fitbliss, What kind of bar is that attached to your front bumper? Love it.

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Less than a month after taking delivery of my JL Rubicon I had slapped a budget boost and 37's on it, loaded the bitch up with my family of four and drove to Moab to have fun. Drive-ability was surprisingly great all around, whether on the flats or through the mountains. On the twisty stuff through the mountains I tend to drive my vehicles like their low slung sports cars and push them hard through curves and it felt stable and well planted.
Thanks. That's good to know.
I ended up going with Black Rhino Armory Wheels with 17x9.5 4.5 backspacing, -18 offest, Mopar Lift and Milestar Patagonia's 35 inch tires. Came out really nice and drives better than stock!

10008724-1723-4407-9F4B-CD45D2963B83.JPG

B2E12EC3-7E12-4C10-87FC-25808366A967.JPG

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg
Looks very nice!!! I love the width that the tires stick out past the fenders.
But, honestly, I think with the Mopar lift you should have opted for 37"s. Just an opinion.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

But, honestly, I think with the Mopar lift you should have opted for 37"s. Just an opinion.
First world problems, right! Looks awesome. I want that front bar! I will go 35's next year. I like the look!!

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Fitbliss, What kind of bar is that attached to your front bumper? Love it.
MAXIMUS-3 JL STINGER BAR
https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories

Thanks really like it to spice up the oem bumper.

So with you man, I even got the tire carrier to hold the 37's but my condo's parking garage limited my options especially when it snows, I couldn't imagine not being able to drive my toy because of a blizzard, that's kinda my favorite time to fly around!! First mod when I get a real garage, roof tent, 37's/38's and a hard top lift!!! Cannot wait, stupid Condo life. lol Here is a pic of a Sahara with Mopar and 35's just barely making it lol

IMG_3581.jpg

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
MAXIMUS-3 JL STINGER BAR
https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories

Thanks really like it to spice up the oem bumper.

So with you man, I even got the tire carrier to hold the 37's but my condo's parking garage limited my options especially when it snows, I couldn't imagine not being able to drive my toy because of a blizzard, that's kinda my favorite time to fly around!! First mod when I get a real garage, roof tent, 37's/38's and a hard top lift!!! Cannot wait, stupid Condo life. lol Here is a pic of a Sahara with Mopar and 35's just barely making it lol

IMG_3581.jpg
What's the garage clearance? Living in a high-rise here with 6' 5" so don't see myself lifting until I move. As I'll be retiring very soon (still hoping to get RIF'd instead) and then probably relocating not a big deal at the moment.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What's the garage clearance? Living in a high-rise here with 6' 5" so don't see myself lifting until I move. As I'll be retiring very soon (still hoping to get RIF'd instead) and then probably relocating not a big deal at the moment.
it is a normal 7 ft garage with some rubber trim that knocks it down an inch and half and then you are going down a hill so I would say 6'8. It clears with some gab but our building doesn't really get the ice and snow right away and I could easily see up here in MN running into issues, so I went 35's to get as much clearance as I could but still get the mud tires.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Dude - I would have to of went with one size larger balls, to say my wife's boobs are a bit small. :) I also know what her comeback would be
I hear ya. To be honest if I could go with that one size up deal I'd use both size coupons on the right one so it matched the size of the left one, which is a bit on the hefty size already. Hard to point out size faults when you're running a lopsided set and leaning hard to the left. Like running 37's on the driver side and 33's on the passenger. From the exact right angle it looks real good, but turn a few degrees and it's "ohhh, oh what's a.....what's goin' on there?" Dont worry about it! It's been working for me for years. Just not gonna knock your full set of female 31's. Especially when she's got the nicest set of "rims" I've come across. Shape, size, style, just that the wheels wrapped around em could use a little upgrade. Not that I'm looking for 44's. 35's.....maybe 37's..... Just enough not to wonder how they'd be if they were bigger. ;)

At least those 31's are on a 2door, probbaly Tj sized. If we were rocking those bad boys on an Expeditionnnnnnnnn..... "Um, yeah, those are nice. haha. :whatsgoingon:"

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Would love to see JLUS on 35's with stock suspension and a set of EAG fenders. That's what I'm shooting for. Prolly not gonna happen until spring but that's the plan. Already have the 35's or would be going 37's. If 35's and fenders can work well together I may do a simple spacer kit and go with 37's if/when the 35's wear out. If someone found me a 16x7 or more Wagon wheels with the correct Jeep bolt pattern I'd let em play with my personal sources of size envy/regret/happiness all they wanted.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
When I first got my JL, I put 35" Toyo MT's on it. I drove it with 35's for about a month, then after wheeling it a few times and dragging the belly over rocks too much, I decided to add a little lift. I found the Mopar lift for $795 online and ordered it. I had planned to stick with the 35's but after installing the lift, just felt the JL looked stupid with the 35's and 3" of lift, so I ordered 37x13.5 Coopers. I live in DFW too and commute about 30 miles on 121 to work. Unlike the JK which definitely felt slow on even 35's, the JL doesnt seem to take much of a hit from even 37's. I still drive 85-90 every day to work. I'll probably regear at some point but so far I don't feel a huge need to do so. I'm running 37x13.6 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on 17x8.5 Mopar Beadlocks.

IMG_20190720_203820-X3.jpg

IMG_20190720_180922-X3.jpg
From a tire stand point how did the TOYO MT compare to the COOPER STT PRO, i am going back and forth between those two, and my offroad shop is pushing me towards RIDGE GRAPPELERS and i am all spun out.
Sponsored