35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Your Jeep looks amazing! I love the larger tires! Are you happy with how they line up with the edge of the fender flares or are you considering 1-2" wheel spacers?

I really have no experience or knowledge if wheel spacers change the way the Jeep handles and feels on the road.
For now I'm happy. I'm not a perticular fan of wheel spacers. But I do like how they made a JK look with stock wheels with a small lift / leveling kit. To me it gives the look how they should have came stock. But the Rubicon has the wider axel and this is achieved with just the tires due to the higher flares. My Ram needed tires so it was a no brainier to swap to the 35's. As for the future I'm torn between 37's on a 2" to 38's on a 3.5". I'll have to regear ultimately due to the manual trans. I really like how the AEV wheels offset fits the JL so that is the direction I will probably go.

image.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Im in the 35 - 37 boat as well, and while I like the look of 35s and the ease of use with possibly not having to add a lift etc , I cant help to look at the 37s in awe of how they give the jeep such a monster stance compared to the 35s - I was told though (being a jeep noob) that once you go 37s the can of worms included new axles etc bc of the weight - but how many people buy 35s thinking its good enough and see the 37s and regret the 35s ? that's the can of worms I don't want lol ...
Yep. I’m right there with you.

There seems to be a lot if different opinions regarding 37” tires. Some are saying it opens up a can of worms for a lot of “must do” mods. While others are saying all they did was a 2-4” lift and put them on with no issues.

Mechanically, the 37’s have got to cause more strain on everything because of the extra weight, size and torque on the suspension components.

35’s still have a great look!

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I try and avoid the Interstate as the drivers are....... well you know.

But when I do, I cruise at 78-79 as they won't give a ticket until 80+.

I see 7th gear a lot and 8th as well and turn about 1900 in 8th with stock 4.10.

Wear and tear on Jeep, sure but I wanted 37's..... Nuff said. LOL

Citrus 2-17-19.jpg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think it's safe to say 37s are pushing it but if you wheel sensibly your probably ok. But honestly it's too early to tell and the reason I just went with 35s.

For ME, I dont want to wheel sensibly. I like to do Forest Roads at not crazy baja speeds but a bit aggressively and over time it could be a problem since I keep my jeeps a long time. In tech I dont nail the throttle, I'd much rather finesse my way thru it but there are times when you need to goose it. That's typically where you see problems, sometimes immediately some times over time.

I've been waiting to see if I really like my JL before dumping money into it and I REALLY do. So probably going dynatrac built 44s or 60's with 4.88s with 37s.

There are enough wheelers out there known and unknown that are not complaining one bit about power and ride quality running 37's and staying with 4.10s. If the OP cant wait to see how they hold up I would say there is ample evidence with care he will be alright.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Very nice!!!!
How do you like the Nitto Ridge Grappler in offroad use as i also live in central FL but also go up to GA / TN mountains?

I have JLUR going from stock 33’s to probably the wheels & tires below and will put them on as is for now... I will be lifting soon after with the mopar lift kit for Turbo 2.0... So if I go with the following do I need to worry about any rubbing at full turn / extended? I could pick either 0 or -18 offset on the wheels...

Black Rhino - Reno Candy Red - 17 x 9 with -18 offset
Nitto Ridge grappler - 35 x 12.5 x 17

Wheels:
https://www.wheelmax.com/wheel/1318...1797509&fit=0&sizeID=33297&wheelImageID=56104

Tires:

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

This tire tool was a huge help in determining the look i may want...

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When I first got my JL, I put 35" Toyo MT's on it. I drove it with 35's for about a month, then after wheeling it a few times and dragging the belly over rocks too much, I decided to add a little lift. I found the Mopar lift for $795 online and ordered it. I had planned to stick with the 35's but after installing the lift, just felt the JL looked stupid with the 35's and 3" of lift, so I ordered 37x13.5 Coopers. I live in DFW too and commute about 30 miles on 121 to work. Unlike the JK which definitely felt slow on even 35's, the JL doesnt seem to take much of a hit from even 37's. I still drive 85-90 every day to work. I'll probably regear at some point but so far I don't feel a huge need to do so. I'm running 37x13.6 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on 17x8.5 Mopar Beadlocks.

IMG_20190720_203820-X3.jpg

IMG_20190720_180922-X3.jpg
Are those the Baja Design LP6 lights on the bumper and if so how do you like them?

Original Scuba

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
When I first got my JL, I put 35" Toyo MT's on it. I drove it with 35's for about a month, then after wheeling it a few times and dragging the belly over rocks too much, I decided to add a little lift. I found the Mopar lift for $795 online and ordered it. I had planned to stick with the 35's but after installing the lift, just felt the JL looked stupid with the 35's and 3" of lift, so I ordered 37x13.5 Coopers. I live in DFW too and commute about 30 miles on 121 to work. Unlike the JK which definitely felt slow on even 35's, the JL doesnt seem to take much of a hit from even 37's. I still drive 85-90 every day to work. I'll probably regear at some point but so far I don't feel a huge need to do so. I'm running 37x13.6 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on 17x8.5 Mopar Beadlocks.

IMG_20190720_203820-X3.jpg

IMG_20190720_180922-X3.jpg
Just had my local shop order an Open Country MT 33” so I could see what they look like. Love the tire but have also had a 35” BFG KO2 on. Did you have change your spare carrier for the 35”? Thoughts on the 33”? This would be the first tire change from factory to aftermarket.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I bought my JLUR with 35s and stock gears. Upgraded to 37s with 5.13 gears. Handles great, 70 mpg no problem. I could not be happier. Remember, it is a brick, so wind will wobble you around a bit. 5.13s made all the difference.
Do you hit 8th gear? At what Speed? What RPM in 8th does it cruise at with 5.13's

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Just had my local shop order an Open Country MT 33” so I could see what they look like. Love the tire but have also had a 35” BFG KO2 on. Did you have change your spare carrier for the 35”? Thoughts on the 33”? This would be the first tire change from factory to aftermarket.
The tire carrier worked fine stock with the Toyo 35's I had on originally. When I went to 37's, the spare wouldnt fit. I'm running the mopar reinforcement with the Rusty's bracket to shift the tire up 1.5".

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are those the Baja Design LP6 lights on the bumper and if so how do you like them?
They are actually the LP9 Pros. I love them. I had a Baja Designs 50" lightbar on my JK and I loved it except for the wind noise. When I got the JL, I kept the lightbar off the JK but didn't want to add wind noise to the JL. I contacted Baja Designs and found out they had a trade-in policy. They let me trade my 50" lightbar in for 70% off a pair of LP9 Pros so I got the pair for around $400. They are as bright as the lightbar I had and no wind noise, plus they look way better...

Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
They are actually the LP9 Pros. I love them. I had a Baja Designs 50" lightbar on my JK and I loved it except for the wind noise. When I got the JL, I kept the lightbar off the JK but didn't want to add wind noise to the JL. I contacted Baja Designs and found out they had a trade-in policy. They let me trade my 50" lightbar in for 70% off a pair of LP9 Pros so I got the pair for around $400. They are as bright as the lightbar I had and no wind noise, plus they look way better...
They look great and thanks for the info...

grumgirl

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
Occupation
Information Technology
Sorry thought I hit post this am. I have 37"KO2s on stock wheels had 35" to start. There is no need for wheel spacers i added some just for the looks. I have a RC spacer lift i believe they call it a 2.5" I am in East Texas where 2 lane country roads are 70 mph lol. No issues at all with handling none of the horror stories you hear about (wabble or drifting) it is a dream to drive. We had an emergency the other night dog bitten by a Copperhead made use of the tazer flashers and felt surprisingly solid @ 95 mph (was 2am on empty roads). 35" k02s are usually D or E rated a much stiffer tire the 37" is C rated better ride in my opinion. Running 27psi.
I was told by my dealer I could not put any tire bigger than a 35 on my stock Rubicon wheels..

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I have a '19 JLUR with a 2" BDS lift and 35-12.5-17 BFG KO2's on stock Rubicon wheels. I would say that the ride is basically indistinguishable from stock. With the stock rims and 35's I have not even come close to having tire contact with any part of the vehicle and I do not have spacers. No hint of additional wander or wobble ever. Admittedly, I am not a serious off road guy, but the jeep has seen moderate trail use with times where 4 Lo, F&R lockers and swaybar disconnect were in use.

As far as the tire poke goes the outer shoulder of the tread is barely covered by the stock flares, and the widest part of the sidewall is about an inch outside of the flares. I also like the look of the tires sticking out a couple of inches from the flares, and I bought 2" spidertrax spacers when I bought my lift and tires. Unfortunately, I bought JK spacers not realizing the difference in the lug sizes between the JK and JL, so returned them and have not yet purchased the spacers for the JL....not sure that I will at this point as I really like the look.

All in all, I am VERY happy with the package, ride and handling is basically as it was stock, and I also tow a boat with it which is why I finally decided on 35's instead of 37's (boat and trailer package is just under the 3500lb tow limit). If my Jeep was stolen tomorrow I would put a replacement together exactly the same way as my current ride.

Jeff
I am really surprised to hear your claims about ride being the same as stock. Maybe you mean just "ride" as in what it feels like to go over a bump, rather than "ride & handling" which to me includes the feel of the vehicle dynamics over uneven bumps, into and out of turns, braking etc. I run a 2019 JLUR on 35x12.5x17 with the two inch Mopar lift and the ride is fine- I don't really care about the "smoothness" everyone talks about (whatever the hell that means). But the handling and vehicle dynamics are absolutely different, and not for the better. Stands to reason given the change to the suspension geometry, and I accept the trade off for my needs, but if someone had told me the differences would be indistinguishable, I would have been shocked the first time I drove it. They are definitely distingushable to me and I miss the stock handling every day.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am really surprised to hear your claims about ride being the same as stock. Maybe you mean just "ride" as in what it feels like to go over a bump, rather than "ride & handling" which to me includes the feel of the vehicle dynamics over uneven bumps, into and out of turns, braking etc. I run a 2019 JLUR on 35x12.5x17 with the two inch Mopar lift and the ride is fine- I don't really care about the "smoothness" everyone talks about (whatever the hell that means). But the handling and vehicle dynamics are absolutely different, and not for the better. Stands to reason given the change to the suspension geometry, and I accept the trade off for my needs, but if someone had told me the differences would be indistinguishable, I would have been shocked the first time I drove it. They are definitely distingushable to me and I miss the stock handling every day.
I think if you have a general understanding of suspension and physics you will realize they won't be the same. You are raising the COG so it's going to handle differently. It doesn't mean that you can't restore that. I put a Hellwig 3/4" swaybar on mine and it handles wonderfully now. It doesn't compromise flex offroad noticeably either.

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I was all over this issue for the last few months, I ended up pulling the trigger on a mopar lift and ordered some Rhino Wheels 17/9.5 -18 offset with Milestar 35's Patagonia's. The dealer let me borrow a Sahara with mopar lift and Duratrac 35's and I was so impressed I called and cancelled my 37's and switched the order to 35's, thankfully nothing had shipped yet. I plan on doing 37's later and opening the can of worms, but for daily driver that needs to fit in an underground garage, I know I made the right choice. Here are some pictures of the Sahara with the mopar lift and 35's.

58499255043__5A8A1227-678B-4931-B76A-61F3F3412AE9.JPG

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

I live in Big Lake, and work in the metro. Would love to meet up some day.
Sponsored