Sponsored

35" vs 37" Tires (and lift) on a JLRU for Daily Driver at 70-90 mph

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
37" Toyo MT's, 2" Mopar Lift and roll's 80mph no issues (Aside from a 30mph cross wind time to time here in Vegas of course)

RMojitoJL Strip.jpg

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry thought I hit post this am. I have 37"KO2s on stock wheels had 35" to start. There is no need for wheel spacers i added some just for the looks. I have a RC spacer lift i believe they call it a 2.5" I am in East Texas where 2 lane country roads are 70 mph lol. No issues at all with handling none of the horror stories you hear about (wabble or drifting) it is a dream to drive. We had an emergency the other night dog bitten by a Copperhead made use of the tazer flashers and felt surprisingly solid @ 95 mph (was 2am on empty roads). 35" k02s are usually D or E rated a much stiffer tire the 37" is C rated better ride in my opinion. Running 27psi.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry thought I hit post this am. I have 37"KO2s on stock wheels had 35" to start. There is no need for wheel spacers i added some just for the looks. I have a RC spacer lift i believe they call it a 2.5" I am in East Texas where 2 lane country roads are 70 mph lol. No issues at all with handling none of the horror stories you hear about (wabble or drifting) it is a dream to drive. We had an emergency the other night dog bitten by a Copperhead made use of the tazer flashers and felt surprisingly solid @ 95 mph (was 2am on empty roads). 35" k02s are usually D or E rated a much stiffer tire the 37" is C rated better ride in my opinion. Running 27psi.
Dog ok?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes thank you for asking. Vet friend said %85 survivable if just give benedrill I can't work with those margins with a family member. He got steroids antibiotics and a vile of antivenom.

20190703_121246.jpg
That’s great, and I totally understand going the extra mile.....:)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did they break the tires down and do hot patches for weight inside the tire or did they just do a static balance on your tires? If you know.....
No, they just stuck the flat square weights on the inside of the rim, he did mention that he had a couple other ways to get them to balance if they didn’t balance out. Maybe that was one of them. He drove it after and couldn’t believe how it drove. He said that he sells a lot of ridge grapplers but that was the first set of DL beadlocks he’s sold, or dealt with. He told me it didn’t drive like a Jeep on 37s and beadlocks.

Last edited:

moell54

First Name
Aubrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have a '19 JLUR with a 2" BDS lift and 35-12.5-17 BFG KO2's on stock Rubicon wheels. I would say that the ride is basically indistinguishable from stock. With the stock rims and 35's I have not even come close to having tire contact with any part of the vehicle and I do not have spacers. No hint of additional wander or wobble ever. Admittedly, I am not a serious off road guy, but the jeep has seen moderate trail use with times where 4 Lo, F&R lockers and swaybar disconnect were in use.

As far as the tire poke goes the outer shoulder of the tread is barely covered by the stock flares, and the widest part of the sidewall is about an inch outside of the flares. I also like the look of the tires sticking out a couple of inches from the flares, and I bought 2" spidertrax spacers when I bought my lift and tires. Unfortunately, I bought JK spacers not realizing the difference in the lug sizes between the JK and JL, so returned them and have not yet purchased the spacers for the JL....not sure that I will at this point as I really like the look.

All in all, I am VERY happy with the package, ride and handling is basically as it was stock, and I also tow a boat with it which is why I finally decided on 35's instead of 37's (boat and trailer package is just under the 3500lb tow limit). If my Jeep was stolen tomorrow I would put a replacement together exactly the same way as my current ride.

Jeff
Morning Jeff. Would you post a pic of your rig/tires. I think I would like to do what you did. Thx.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wanted to pose this question about 35" tires vs 37" tires on a JLRU for a daily driver. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, unless you are driving 70-90 mph on the freeways, you WILL get run over. I prefer the looks and clearance advantages of 37" tires over the 35" tires, but was curious about how secure the ride is when traveling 70-90 mph? I commute about 30 miles a day. My understanding is that 35" tires on the Rubicon will work fine on the factory wheels/rims and that, for the most part, a lift is not needed. For the 37" tires, wider wheels/rims are recommended and a minimal 2" lift is needed, although most of you have probably gone with a 2.5" - 3.5" lift. So I guess the question has to include a lift with the 37" tires.

Answers here would really be important for those of you who have had both 35" tires and 37" tires/with a lift setups. As always, thank you for your responses
I had a 2014 JK on 35s and a 2.5" lift and now I have a 2018 JLU on 37s and a 3.5" lift. Both ride great on the highway.

This is my.JLU on the highway, doing 70 and no hands on the steering wheel:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have a '19 JLUR with a 2" BDS lift and 35-12.5-17 BFG KO2's on stock Rubicon wheels. I would say that the ride is basically indistinguishable from stock. With the stock rims and 35's I have not even come close to having tire contact with any part of the vehicle and I do not have spacers. No hint of additional wander or wobble ever. Admittedly, I am not a serious off road guy, but the jeep has seen moderate trail use with times where 4 Lo, F&R lockers and swaybar disconnect were in use.

As far as the tire poke goes the outer shoulder of the tread is barely covered by the stock flares, and the widest part of the sidewall is about an inch outside of the flares. I also like the look of the tires sticking out a couple of inches from the flares, and I bought 2" spidertrax spacers when I bought my lift and tires. Unfortunately, I bought JK spacers not realizing the difference in the lug sizes between the JK and JL, so returned them and have not yet purchased the spacers for the JL....not sure that I will at this point as I really like the look.

All in all, I am VERY happy with the package, ride and handling is basically as it was stock, and I also tow a boat with it which is why I finally decided on 35's instead of 37's (boat and trailer package is just under the 3500lb tow limit). If my Jeep was stolen tomorrow I would put a replacement together exactly the same way as my current ride.

Jeff
Pictures please!!!

Also, I know you did a 2" lift, but that wasn't a necessity with the 35" tires, right? More of "I just wanted a 2" lift", yeah?

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Pictures please!!!

Also, I know you did a 2" lift, but that wasn't a necessity with the 35" tires, right? More of "I just wanted a 2" lift", yeah?
I'll get some pics and post soon. Correct, the lift was not necessary to fit the 35's, I got the tires mounted the day I bought the jeep, and didn't install the lift for about a week or so after that. No issues or rub at all with the 35's and no lift.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I have a 2.5 inch lift with 37s on my Rubicon jlu. My dads is lifted 3.5 inches with 37s and a friends with 35s on stock.
Mine drives the best of the three. I have a king/evo build. It feels better then stock in my opinion. However my dads has way more flex then mine and more clearance (which is to be expected).
If you drive more then you offroad then 35s is fine. My friend complains that his 35s rub offroading though.
If you're going to crawl, that one extra inch and greater traction make a massive difference.

OP
OP
HealthRebel

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I'll get some pics and post soon. Correct, the lift was not necessary to fit the 35's, I got the tires mounted the day I bought the jeep, and didn't install the lift for about a week or so after that. No issues or rub at all with the 35's and no lift.
Was there a big change, if any, in the way your Jeep handled after the 2" lift compared to before?
Sponsored