35" Tire recomendation for JLUR, daily driver, mostly highway

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Most 35” tires aren’t 35” - I am putting these on my sport - the KO2’s haven’t impressed me like the original KO tires so time for a change
Oh don’t get me wrong I like the tire. I’m thinking about them on a Sport S with a 2” lift. The 75 series is a little taller and a little narrower than the 70 series so they will be tucked in a little further under the fender. I think this is an excellent choice!
Sponsored

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
I am looking at Wrangler Duratec 35x12.5x18. They are load D. The reviews say they are quiet for a Daily Driver and good for the snowy NY winters. The sidewall looks real cool. Any thoughts on this tire?

Last edited:

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Heavy nube thread lol. Ko2 or duratracs also ridge grapplers by nitto. General grabbers are horrible for off road traction but super quiet .

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I installed a set of 35" Dunlop (Goodyear) Fierce Attitude MT's. They are amazing, and have handled the two nor'easters like a champ. Couldn't be happier, and please do some research on these tires. They get GREAT reviews, and are surprisingly quiet for a MT tires. No complaints whatsoever, and the Nitto Ridge Grappler is also an amazing tire.

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
BFG Ko2 all day. although I think you have to go 315/70/17 to get the closest to a 35

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I used pretty much all the tires currently on the market. So far, the overall best tire I've ever used is the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Unreal traction, great looks, rugged as heck, and priced great.

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I used pretty much all the tires currently on the market. So far, the overall best tire I've ever used is the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Unreal traction, great looks, rugged as heck, and priced great.
Great tire for the price point, no doubt.

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
My $0.02.

I have always been a fan of BFG's and put them on a majority of my vehicles. My last experience was putting them on my 2500 Ram. Unfortunately, I was only able to get 30k miles out of them (315/70R18). Didn't work out well on the heavy truck with the 80psi E2 requirement and ended up wearing out the centers prematurely. Yes, I could have run at a lower pressure and had a warning light going off all the time, but I chose not too. Put on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (325/65R18) also rated at E2 and getting twice the mileage...already at 30k and over half the tread is remaining with no wear on the centers.

I would not recommend E rated tires for a wrangler as they are VERY stiff. They are also heavier. And I was using them on a much heavier vehicle. I plan on putting BFG's back on my wrangler even though the Nitto tires proved to be a performer. Just my $0.02.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Like many of us here, Ford Motor Company also researched what would be a very good 35" tire for daily use. Something that was aggressive looking, capable, and wouldn't break the bank. This tire was intended for their new 2017 Raptor (as OEM equipped). What they decided on was the BFG KO2 in the 315/70-17 size, but BFG only offered this tire in an E load range making it very stiff. So, Ford worked with BFG and got them to make the KO2 in the 315/70-17 size in a Load Range C and that is now the tire on the Raptor. So, be careful when shopping. At least temporarily, the Ford-spec Load Range C tires are harder to find and tire shops would just as soon sell you an E Load Range tire in this size.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
My $0.02.

I have always been a fan of BFG's and put them on a majority of my vehicles. My last experience was putting them on my 2500 Ram. Unfortunately, I was only able to get 30k miles out of them (315/70R18). Didn't work out well on the heavy truck with the 80psi E2 requirement and ended up wearing out the centers prematurely. Yes, I could have run at a lower pressure and had a warning light going off all the time, but I chose not too. Put on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (325/65R18) also rated at E2 and getting twice the mileage...already at 30k and over half the tread is remaining with no wear on the centers.

I would not recommend E rated tires for a wrangler as they are VERY stiff. They are also heavier. And I was using them on a much heavier vehicle. I plan on putting BFG's back on my wrangler even though the Nitto tires proved to be a performer. Just my $0.02.
So if you run less than 80 psi the TPMS light goes off? That's crazy. Especially on a 2500 series truck where the maximum load rating of the tire is almost never reached.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Does anyone know why Nitto offers the Ridge Grappler in both the 35x12.5x17 and also the 315/70/R17?

I know the sizes are a tiny bit different - but normally, a company offers the metric size in a load D where the 35 would be load E. In Nitto’s case, it appears that both are load E.

Why offer both? What’s the difference between them? How do we pick which to buy?

Last edited:

Rad vlad

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have them on my Rubi quite on the highway very good all around

D8DFE242-CA75-466F-BC2B-637A87A70AC5.jpeg

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
Just another data point - I'm running 35X12.50R18 KO2s on a 9" wide rim, and I'm very happy with them. Best tires I've ever had.

I actually think they look cooler than a lot of MTs too.

Will post some better pics once the lift is done!

20180327_201054.jpg
20180327_201114.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Most 35” tires aren’t 35” - I am putting these on my sport - the KO2’s haven’t impressed me like the original KO tires so time for a change
Well, yes and no. The diameters that tire makers list on their websites are accurate, IF you measure the tires the same way they do taking the sidewall bulge into account, and on a rim that's the width they use. The problem is that most of us measure in a straight line, from the ground up, without taking the sidewall bulge into account, on wheels of all different sizes, with the weight of the Jeep pressing down on the tire. So, naturally we're not going to get the same measurements that the tire makers do.

Miller

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU Sahara and 2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at Wrangler Duratec 35x12.5x18. They are load D. The reviews say they are quiet for a Daily Driver and good for the snowy NY winters. The sidewall looks real cool. Any thoughts on this tire?
I run LT285/70R17 Wrangler Duratrac's on my 2007 Wrangler. They are great tires with no road noise and a nice ride. I live in MN, they work well in the snow and mud. I rotate them every oil change with the spare. They were installed spring of 2011 and I have 94,000 miles on them. they need to be changed out this spring. I just had them balanced this past weekend, the tire shop had to check the mileage twice they couldn't believe I had that many miles on the tires. I have a 2018 Rubicon ordered, the plan is to take the factory tires from the Rubicon and mount them on my 07, then buy 35 x 12.5 Duratec's for the new beast... Can't wait to have 2 Wrangler's in the garage!
Sponsored