Sponsored

35" spare tire with stock bumper solutions

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I have a 19' JLU Sport with the stock plastic bumper. I'm looking to mount my 35" tires (315/70 R17), but I don't want to run into issues with the swing gate/hinges sagging due to weight or the stock plastic tire carrier breaking.

I'm not really interested in changing the bumper and going the "bumper mounted" route since I don't want to lose my towing hitch, nor the backup camera, nor the third brake light.

Is there a "set in stone", best-you-can-buy option for this yet? I've been looking at the "Mopar way", but the Mopar reinforcement for the hinges costs $500 alone, then it also requires a relocator for the carrier (that moves it up) for another $250. Some other 3rd party companies are selling everything you need for around $500-$600, so I am curious what this community has tried so far.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19' JLU Sport with the stock plastic bumper. I'm looking to mount my 35" tires (315/70 R17), but I don't want to run into issues with the swing gate/hinges sagging due to weight or the stock plastic tire carrier breaking.

I'm not really interested in changing the bumper and going the "bumper mounted" route since I don't want to lose my towing hitch, nor the backup camera, nor the third brake light.

Is there a "set in stone", best-you-can-buy option for this yet? I've been looking at the "Mopar way", but the Mopar reinforcement for the hinges costs $500 alone, then it also requires a relocator for the carrier (that moves it up) for another $250. Some other 3rd party companies are selling everything you need for around $500-$600, so I am curious what this community has tried so far.

Thanks.
Im running 35 on stock carrier with no issues. I do have the mopar reinforcment but i dont think it actually adds any strength. Extend the tailgate tire bumpstops out so that it is very snug when tightened down and it just barely rests on the stock plastic bumper with no relocation bracket. It doesnt move at all, but i will be getting a full tire carrier soon.

C5B12C1D-623A-4982-A3CB-732DF398FAC4.jpeg

OP
OP

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im running 35 on stock carrier with no issues. I do have the mopar reinforcment but i dont think it actually adds any strength. Extend the tailgate tire bumpstops out so that it is very snug when tightened down and it just barely rests on the stock plastic bumper with no relocation bracket. It doesnt move at all, but i will be getting a full tire carrier soon.
I also think the Mopar reinforcement is kinda "whatever" and not really that helpful, but the good thing about it is that it's backed by Mopar, so if your swing gate does mess up or sag, they're more likely to fix it.

Can I ask what your wheel offset is? Mine are -6, so I'm worried if they will stick out a lot and cause more pressure on the hinges. Do you have any problems opening and closing the door with the tire hitting the bumper?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I also think the Mopar reinforcement is kinda "whatever" and not really that helpful, but the good thing about it is that it's backed by Mopar, so if your swing gate does mess up or sag, they're more likely to fix it.

Can I ask what your wheel offset is? Mine are -6, so I'm worried if they will stick out a lot and cause more pressure on the hinges. Do you have any problems opening and closing the door with the tire hitting the bumper?
Mine are -12. No problems with the tire hitting the bumper when i open and close it. When I first put it on it tapped it a bit but just gives it more support in my opinion. Now after adding the so called reinforcement though i lined everything back up but putting the tire back on made it sit lower. And i just have to readjust it but its alot of work. The strike hits a little too low now. All in all i should have left it without it, it fit better.

OP
OP

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine are -12. No problems with the tire hitting the bumper when i open and close it. When I first put it on it tapped it a bit but just gives it more support in my opinion. Now after adding the so called reinforcement though i lined everything back up but putting the tire back on made it sit lower. And i just have to readjust it but its alot of work. The strike hits a little too low now. All in all i should have left it without it, it fit better.
So you're saying that WITH the Mopar reinforcement, you tire now touches the bumper, but before it didn't? Isn't that a good thing, since it'll take the load off the hinges a bit?

Also, from your picture, I can see that your third brake light is quite high, is that the highest it goes? Would you say it's visible? It looks like Mopar sells a relocation kit for the third brake light which moves it out front of the spare, on top of the backup camera: https://store.mopar.com/accessories...op_light_chmsl_relocation_kit_82215349AB.html

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So you're saying that WITH the Mopar reinforcement, you tire now touches the bumper, but before it didn't? Isn't that a good thing, since it'll take the load off the hinges a bit?

Also, from your picture, I can see that your third brake light is quite high, is that the highest it goes? Would you say it's visible? It looks like Mopar sells a relocation kit for the third brake light which moves it out front of the spare, on top of the backup camera: https://store.mopar.com/accessories...op_light_chmsl_relocation_kit_82215349AB.html
It rested on the bumper with and without it. However when i added the reinforcment taking the hinge bolts out and back in caused it to sag. I can get rid of it with more adjusting but im just meaning that without spending the money on it, i would have noticed no difference in the amount of flex (which is none) without it. I also never adjusted the tail light up , the tire covers up just barely the bottom of it.

OP
OP

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also never adjusted the tail light up , the tire covers up just barely the bottom of it.
Does it adjust higher? Or am I crazy in thinking it doesn't move at all?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Does it adjust higher? Or am I crazy in thinking it doesn't move at all?
Theres two screws on each post, you can remove the screws and slide it up to the bottom hole and screw it back it, not sure how high it moves it up, not a whole lot but enough. Havent done it but might make it wobbly. Worth a try if you think it needs it. Mines easily seen still

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I picked up a Rough Country relocation bracket for $80. Worth every penny and fits my 35” with zero issues

OP
OP

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked up a Rough Country relocation bracket for $80. Worth every penny and fits my 35” with zero issues
I see, that kit has good reviews but from what I'm seeing on this thread and others on this forum, it's not really needed for 35s.

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I can tell you speaking from my experience with my 18’ JLU Sahara, there is no way in hell my Vision wheel with a Goodyear Duratrac 315 70/R17 would fit opening and closing the tail gate. I read somewhere that the Rubicon was NO issue but Sahara and Sport was needed.
Sorry, I reread your original post. I think my hinges are doing alright from what I see. I was referring only to the relocation bracket to get by on mounting a 35” spare.

OP
OP

wranglerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tell you speaking from my experience with my 18’ JLU Sahara, there is no way in hell my Vision wheel with a Goodyear Duratrac 315 70/R17 would fit opening and closing the tail gate. I read somewhere that the Rubicon was NO issue but Sahara and Sport was needed.
Sorry, I reread your original post. I think my hinges are doing alright from what I see. I was referring only to the relocation bracket to get by on mounting a 35” spare.
I'm so confused. What makes the Rubicon tailgate special?? As someone else noted, Rubicons may or may not come with the steel bumper and may or may not come with the reinforcement.

What was the issue with your Duratrac? Was it hitting the bumper? And you have no reinforcements on your hinges either and you're fine?

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so confused. What makes the Rubicon tailgate special?? As someone else noted, Rubicons may or may not come with the steel bumper and may or may not come with the reinforcement.

What was the issue with your Duratrac? Was it hitting the bumper? And you have no reinforcements on your hinges either and you're fine?
The rubicons and others have different bumpers than sports. Cut out is a bit different for tire too

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I believe I read somewhere here that there spare tire mount sits higher than ours but don’t quote me on it. I took a gamble and tried to mount my 35” without the relocation bracket and there was no way it would swing out due to the bumper. So, frustrated about that and ordered the Rough Country relocation bracket and all is good now.
Sponsored