Sponsored

35 or 37 tires on a 2.0T engined Wrangler?

ecowan1

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Sorry to revive this thread lol, but i have a 19 rubi with the 2.0t with 37x13.5 ridge grapplers. the power has definitely decreased but i expected that, if i were to regear what would be the best? 4.88? 5.10? what’s the best? pros/cons for each?
Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I have some 35" RG's coming hopefully by tomorrow , but I am only getting about 17mpg since I got my JLUR a few weeks ago with less than 2000 miles on her....granted that is mostly city driving

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
mostly city driving
You’ll be fine with what’s stock.
if i were to regear what would be the best? 4.88? 5.10? what’s the best? pros/cons for each?
Manual or automatic? Best is relative to how and where the Jeep will be driven. If you are going to have your Jeep regeared, find a shop who specializes in doing regears. This isn’t a DIY project: it’s a meticulous process that can have expensive implications down the road if not done properly. Pay top dollar to have it done RIGHT.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to keep in mind, when going with shorter gears in a given axle housing, is surface contact in the gear mesh will decrease the further you stray from factory. It will perform better both on and off road, but depending on one's use, it may start the countdown of a ticking time bomb.

It's a simple spacial issue. Optimally, a larger diameter ring gear would accompany the shorter gear set, but that can't happen without spiraling into a 60 series axle housing.

Multiple reputable members have recommended 4.88's for those who don't tow, and 5.13's for those who do. And those with the 6-speed manual should go 1 level shorter than the same setup with an automatic, becausebof the manuals taller and more spread out gear ratios.

Sponsored

ecowan1

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon

Manual or automatic? Best is relative to how and where the Jeep will be driven. If you are going to have your Jeep regeared, find a shop who specializes in doing regears. This isn’t a DIY project: it’s a meticulous process that can have expensive implications down the road if not done properly. Pay top dollar to have it done RIGHT.

Automatic, and i don’t tow with it

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same concerns about the change in performance & MPGs with 37s. I have been running 35's Mickey Thompson ATZ from day one and it is so peppy (like a race car in a Wrangler body)and so good on gas (20-21 avg) with a 2.5 lift.

I have owned 5 wranglers from CJs to TJs to JK1 & JK2 (yes I know a CJ is not a wrangler) and now my 2 door JL Rubicon. This JL is my first Rubicon and I heard that Jeep made this one specially to handle 37s with bigger brakes, higher fender line, 4.10. wider axles, beefier components and a nice 8 speed tranny. BUT I still didn't want to stress the 2L hurricane engine too much (physics is physics). SO I choose one of the lightest D load range tires on the market. The BFGs KO2 are light and they are not true-to-size as the Nitto RGs which are quite heavy. The BFGs in 37s are close to my MTs 35 in weight but thr KO2 are larger. I always wanted to test larger tires on a wrangler plus I like the look especially given the huge Rubicon wheel fenders.

With the below setup (Lifted 2.5" on 37s) I am still getting 19-20 mpgs and I don't know how but this thing is still fast. I was so glad to see Jeep come out with a Turbo option because at high elevation the N/A Pentastar V6 is very under powered @ 7K+ elevation... It lagged on the highway and around town, so you had to have a heavy foot to get going anywhere which is why most V6 ownes report low MPGs.
This Turbo is so good in the mountains! Now I can pass anyone at anytime. But I run my Jeep light. Its 2 -oor so thats half the battle plus I removed the rear seat (never use it) and I also deleted the muffler (replaced with a Duromax pipe). I also run topless all summer so I dont know how that will affect the MPGs in the winter when I put it back on. We'll see, but for now the Turbo is performing so well. Still Impressed with the acceleration and MPGs on THESE 37s!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL 35 or 37 tires on a 2.0T engined Wrangler? jlrubi bee
Sponsored