35" or 34" on a lifted Sport 2 dr

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
I guess this is my real question. I already have a 2" lift on a 2 door Sport S. The stock tires are 32". I want all terrain tires for medium off roading although mostly on road. I can get 34" tires (285/75r17) on my stock wheels. If I go up an extra inch to 35" (35x12.5x17) I will need new wheels and tires and a spare relocation. It'll cost me significantly more than twice as much as just the 34s.

I'm not sure that inch is worth lower power performance due to increased weight (I don't wish to spend time and money to re-gear.) Is there really enough gain off road to make all the expense worth it for a conservative guy? I think my existing wheels look nice so I don't need wheels just for their own sake.

Oh and if anyone knows the offsets of the pictured stock wheels on the Sport 2 door would you share? Not sure if the stock wheels will need spacers or not yet but they're not all that expensive.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this is my real question. I already have a 2" lift on a 2 door Sport S. The stock tires are 32". I want all terrain tires for medium off roading although mostly on road. I can get 34" tires (285/75r17) on my stock wheels. If I go up an extra inch to 35" (35x12.5x17) I will need new wheels and tires and a spare relocation. It'll cost me significantly more than twice as much as just the 34s.

I'm not sure that inch is worth lower power performance due to increased weight (I don't wish to spend time and money to re-gear.) Is there really enough gain off road to make all the expense worth it for a conservative guy? I think my existing wheels look nice so I don't need wheels just for their own sake.

Oh and if anyone knows the offsets of the pictured stock wheels on the Sport 2 door would you share? Not sure if the stock wheels will need spacers or not yet but they're not all that expensive.

Thanks.
I think all the stock wheels on all wrangler models are the same, 7.5" wide with a +44.45mm offset. Maybe someone that knows for sure can come in.

Another size to consider is a 315/70-17, which is the metric equivalent to a 35x12.5. The BFG KO2'S are a great all terrain tire that also run on the smaller size. If your current wheels are 7.5", you and many others here including myself shouldn't have any problems running that tire.

If you end up going the wheel spacer route, only buy a reputable hub centric spacer. Synergy, Borah, and Spidertrax are the common go-to's. Also, blue loctite and regular torque checks are highly recommended when rolling spacers.

I like the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. Well made, adjustable for both height and depth, and very fairly priced for what you get. The cheaper relocation brackets sometimes tend to lift the spare higher than what's needed. Also, they kick the tire out further away from the tailgate rubber bumpers, leaving the wheel and tire weight both unsupported and cantilevered more rearward, which puts more strain on the tailgate.

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think all the stock wheels on all wrangler models are the same, 7.5" wide with a +44.45mm offset. Maybe someone that knows for sure can come in.

Another size to consider is a 315/70-17, which is the metric equivalent to a 35x12.5. The BFG KO2'S are a great all terrain tire that also run on the smaller size. If your current wheels are 7.5", you and many others here including myself shouldn't have any problems running that tire.

If you end up going the wheel spacer route, only buy a reputable hub centric spacer. Synergy, Borah, and Spidertrax are the common go-to's. Also, blue loctite and regular torque checks are highly recommended when rolling spacers.

I like the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. Well made, adjustable for both height and depth, and very fairly priced for what you get. The cheaper relocation brackets sometimes tend to lift the spare higher than what's needed. Also, they kick the tire out further away from the tailgate rubber bumpers, leaving the wheel and tire weight both unsupported and cantilevered more rearward, which puts more strain on the tailgate.

I know the Rubi stock wheels have that offset but then the front axle is wider than on my Sport. I wish I knew the offset for sure.

Most 35's I've looked at don't specify a 7.5" rim as acceptable. While they may fit any tire warranty would likely be voided running on an under width wheel. I also understand the tires may balloon out at highway pressures.

Thanks for the Terraflex tire carrier recommendation. Those things you mention about both vertical and horizontal adjustment have been concerns of mine.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The offset on ALL JL stock wheels is +44. I would stick w/ 34s max mainly due to the 3:45 gearing.

A couple others to consider is 295/70 or 305/70 (although the 305/70 only has a few tire choices).

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I know the Rubi stock wheels have that offset but then the front axle is wider than on my Sport. I wish I knew the offset for sure.

Most 35's I've looked at don't specify a 7.5" rim as acceptable. While they may fit any tire warranty would likely be voided running on an under width wheel. I also understand the tires may balloon out at highway pressures.

Thanks for the Terraflex tire carrier recommendation. Those things you mention about both vertical and horizontal adjustment have been concerns of mine.
You're absolutely right that in the off shot chance of an issue, the tire warranty would be voided by the narrower wheel. For the record though, it doesn't balloon out enough to visibly notice because it's only about a 1/4" extra per side of the tire compared to the 8" wide listed minimum wheel width. Running 2-4 psi lower than normal also helps regain full tad contact to the ground for even wear. And not at all trying to twist your arm, just being a bit more thorough.

I think the best for what you're looking to do is stick with one of yours or blnewts tire size suggestions that would pair the best with your current wheels. I will maintain my original suggestion of looking into a set of the bf Goodrich ko2's in one of those sizes. It really is a great overall all terrain. And sticking with a C-rated tire will maintain a nice ride. D's and E's bring a harshness to the ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're absolutely right that in the off shot chance of an issue, the tire warranty would be voided by the narrower wheel. For the record though, it doesn't balloon out enough to visibly notice because it's only about a 1/4" extra per side of the tire compared to the 8" wide listed minimum wheel width. Running 2-4 psi lower than normal also helps regain full tad contact to the ground for even wear. And not at all trying to twist your arm, just being a bit more thorough.

I think the best for what you're looking to do is stick with one of yours or blnewts tire size suggestions that would pair the best with your current wheels. I will maintain my original suggestion of looking into a set of the bf Goodrich ko2's in one of those sizes. It really is a great overall all terrain. And sticking with a C-rated tire will maintain a nice ride. D's and E's bring a harshness to the ride.
Thanks for your insights and thoroughness. I'm looking right now at TOYO Open Country A/T III ( AT3) which come in a C-rated 34". Nitto Ridge Grapplers have C rated version in the 285/75-17 size also.

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The offset on ALL JL stock wheels is +44. I would stick w/ 34s max mainly due to the 3:45 gearing.

A couple others to consider is 295/70 or 305/70 (although the 305/70 only has a few tire choices).
On my window sticker it shows the standard equipment 3.45 axle gear ratio but then I have the optional Dana 44 HD anti-spin differential. Do you know if that upgraded axle will still have the same gear ratio?

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
On my window sticker it shows the standard equipment 3.45 axle gear ratio but then I have the optional Dana 44 HD anti-spin differential. Do you know if that upgraded axle will still have the same gear ratio?
It has to or your jeep will break.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It is the same. That's what I have and it's 3.45.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The Auto seems to handle bigger tires a little better than the manual. 8 gears closer together vice 6. I can squawk these tires on the tar with a 2.0L if I slam the skinny pedal.

Tires 305/65/17 (slightly taller than 32 as measured)
2" spacer lift
Mopar Gladiator wheels 17"/8.5" width backspace 5.2"/+12 offset
The 305's just miss the front lower plastic fender at full turn. No rubbing on front lower control arms or anywhere else.
295/70/17 would be a good choice also for a little more height and 1/2" less width.
no adapters on the spare.
I think the stock wheels have 6.2 back space (these wheels move your tires out away from the frame about and inch).

climb.png

TopView.png

IMG_4860.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I want to thank everyone for their help. I am loving my new Toyo A/T III's in 285/75r17.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" or 34" on a lifted Sport 2 dr NewJee
Look great! Look forward to your reviews on those tires after you get some time w/ them, they are on my short list of next tires to buy :)

hawk77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys
I want to thank everyone for their help. I am loving my new Toyo A/T III's in 285/75r17.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" or 34" on a lifted Sport 2 dr NewJee
Looks great!, I pulled the trigger on same tires, but it is nation-wide backordered. (very similar to yours - mind is 2dr JL Willys Sport with 2" lift).

Got 2 questions :
1) With soft top - how is the road noise and comfort? The stock M/T are horrible past 60mph.
2) Have you had to do spare tire relocation with stock rear bumper?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored