First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
MTR as in Mud Terrain I assume? I'm looking for All Terrain, MT isn't much good to me in the desert.
No, it is not mud-terrain. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. Goodyear considers it an all-terrain, reinforced with Kevlar.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I had mtr's on my TJ. They work fine in the sand, but if that's where you are going to be doing most of your off road stuff, I like the bfg at's. They seem to float better instead of trying to dig in.
Also, they weren't as squirrelly on standing road water as the mtr's. Both are great tires, it just depends on your application.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
No, it is not mud-terrain. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. Goodyear considers it an all-terrain, reinforced with Kevlar.
Does MT also stand for 'mud terrain' by some manufacturers and some members here? Recall seeing a few posts specifically warning people against MT tires for snowy/icy conditions, and just assumed they were referring to a lack of traction with mud terrain tires, or would this also apply to 'maximum traction', at least in comparison to AT all-terrain tires?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I was only responding based on the reference to the Goodyear MT/R, which is specifically how Goodyear labels the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R; MT/R is a specific tire and a specific abbreviation related to that tire (reinforced with Kevlar).

To answer your question generally, I see that all the time; AT for all-terrain and MT for mud-terrain, and I use those terms that way.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD