35 inches tires on stock Rubi wheels and suspension

Philip Bolo

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I was planning to get Nitto Grappler M/T 35x12.5x17 for my stock Rubi 2020 but a tire shop i talked to don’t recommend it. Is there any other alternatives for installing 35 inches tires on stock Rubi?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I wouldn’t mess with 35s. Just grab a cheap 2.5 BB and put some 37s on it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The stock wheels are a bit skinny, though lots of people are using them with 35's, whether 35x12.50's or 315/70's.

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
I run 35x12.5x17 on factory rubicon wheels. No issues with only a .75" spacer in front and nothing in the rear. No issues with the tires on the factory wheels.
Do you have a pic of your setup? I have a stock JLUR and want a little height but don’t want the lift with 37s.

It’s too high for me for a DD with having a 4 year old and another due in two weeks.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I was planning to get Nitto Grappler M/T 35x12.5x17 for my stock Rubi 2020 but a tire shop i talked to don’t recommend it. Is there any other alternatives for installing 35 inches tires on stock Rubi?
Although a lot of members here have done that, many tire shops won't take the job because the factory 7.5" wheel falls just under the recommended wheel widths of most 12.5" tires. Plenty of shops or there will, but you go into it knowing that you'll be voiding any tire manufacturers warranty and will have to run a couple to a few psi lower to avoid uneven wear.

I ran a set of 315/70-17 BFG KO2's on factory wheels, without spacers and lift, for over 10k miles @ 30-31 psi cold without any issues. If you go the 35x12.5 (315/70) route, i highly suggest picking a tire that is C-rated. Any higher off a weight rating will start adding a harshness to the ride.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35 inches tires on stock Rubi wheels and suspension 20190827_084948_resized(1)

Angrypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Most will install 315/70r17 on stock rims if they wont the 35x12.5, though its basically the same size.

OP
OP
Philip Bolo

Philip Bolo

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Sweet! Appreciate the responses guys! Might just save for now and buy wheels and tires set in the future. Cheers and stay safe!

Angrypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
For me its really how you feel about the look of your stock wheels. If you like them a 305/70r17 mounts perfectly and get no rub at full articulation. 315/70r17 works well for street and mild trail use.

If you want the look of a different wheel then their a lot of options to go with, but you will still get rubbing at full articulation without a lift with anything larger.

OP
OP
Philip Bolo

Philip Bolo

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
So i have decided to buy new rims along with the Nitto Grappler. However, would the tires rub on the front bumpers under normal driving conditions/ turning/ mild trailing?

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm in a similar search, except I have installed a Metalcloak 2.5 inch lift, but still want only a 35 inch tire as it's my DD. I'm still on my stock Rubicon tires / wheels, waiting for them to wear out. I plan to replace them in the next month or two.

I'd love a set of the AEV Borah wheels, but it will take a while to find a spot in the budget for them at $270 a piece. Quadratec has several simple wheels for $99 and up that may work for my needs. It all comes down to offset as most aftermarket wheels will stick out too far for my tastes. In the end, I've come back around to the idea of just keeping my rubicon wheels.

If you want to keep the stock wheel, you have to check the tire manufacturers specifications on if the tire in the desired size will accept a 7.5 wheel.

Specifically, in my research, I have found that the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT 315/70 R17 tire, which is a load range D, does list 7.5 as an approved wheel. This tire is one of the best rated in both this forums tire tracker and in the tire sites reviews as well, so this is going to be my choice.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I have had it stock with 315/70's Patagonia's (D rated) and now with a 2 " lift no issues. just check tire mfg limitations on rim width. I too didn't want to go 37's (yet;)), because I didn't want deal with any possible ($$) issues trying to upgrade the other components like the tire carrier and then also feeling the need to re-gear eventually.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So i have decided to buy new rims along with the Nitto Grappler. However, would the tires rub on the front bumpers under normal driving conditions/ turning/ mild trailing?
30K miles and no rubbing yet. I haven't done any extreme off-roading though. If I had plans to for any extreme wheeling I may do a leveling kit.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Most will install 315/70r17 on stock rims if they wont the 35x12.5, though its basically the same size.
Yeah, the privately owned shop that I used for the first tire switch going from 285 to 315 had asked what the load rating was on the new set of tires that I had. I said they were C-rated and asked if there was an issue. They said that 35x12.5's are usually D or E- rated, and they won't mount them on the factory 7.5" wheels, due to liability concerns. But a C-rated tire of the same size is OK. They just have me the heads up that I may void the tire manufacturers warranty and should run a slightly lower pressure for even wear.

SPR Pumpkin Rubi

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
skinny-pedal-racing.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR, 04 TJ 1-Ton LS, 4400 U4
Occupation
Sell Jeep Parts
Do you have a pic of your setup? I have a stock JLUR and want a little height but don’t want the lift with 37s.

It’s too high for me for a DD with having a 4 year old and another due in two weeks.
Here is what's on my phone. Probably cant tell their is a spacer in front only.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35 inches tires on stock Rubi wheels and suspension Resized_20200304_174259
e
Sponsored