35 inch tires going on, wheel question

grizzjeeper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
New 35" DICK CEPEK baja boss at's going on Thursday. Just saw a post saying the styling rings have to be removed before they can mount, dismount? This only a particular shop or have others run into this? And also, seems to be conflicting reports of spare piting on factory spare location with factory wheel. My understaning was rubicons 35" fit no issue? Sports are the issue? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cpost6

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Will spare fit factory holder with no modification? I’ve been trying to find this out for when one of my 392’s get here and I go to Fuel Trophy wheels 17x8.5 with 35 BFG K02’s.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
yes, they will need to remove the "beauty ring" before mounting the tires. My Discount Tire had no issue doing this for me but I have heard others say that they made the customer remove them. It's not hard to do but it takes a few minutes per wheel. My 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers where slightly too large when closing the tailgate. The bottom of the tire was hitting the plastic insert on the steel bumper. I removed the plastic insert and it now fits perfectly fine. You could also use a spare tire relocation bracket if needed.

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
My tire shop didn't remove the beauty ring. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35x11.5 put on though. Maybe 12.5 wide requires the ring to be removed? Also, I aired the spare down to 20 psi and it just barely rubs on the plastic insert on the steel bumper, all stock parts. A perfect fit IMO.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tire shop didn't remove the beauty ring. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers in 35x11.5 put on though. Maybe 12.5 wide requires the ring to be removed? Also, I aired the spare down to 20 psi and it just barely rubs on the plastic insert on the steel bumper, all stock parts. A perfect fit IMO.
Interesting. I asked them why they needed to remove it but I can't remember the exact reason. Seem like it had something to do with using the machine that puts the tire on the wheel or the balancing machine maybe.

Sponsored

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
Interesting. I asked them why they needed to remove it but I can't remember the exact reason. Seem like it had something to do with using the machine that puts the tire on the wheel or the balancing machine maybe.
With the ring installed the wheel lip is very thick. This additional thickness makes it more difficult to pull the tire bead over with out damaging the tire bead and wheel finish. The stock wheels have the bead drop zone on the outside. So the tire must come off that side.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the ring installed the wheel lip is very thick. This additional thickness makes it more difficult to pull the tire bead over with out damaging the tire bead and wheel finish. The stock wheels have the bead drop zone on the outside. So the tire must come off that side.
That sounds like what they may have told me. Thanks!

OP
OP
grizzjeeper

grizzjeeper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
Update, Just got the 35s on. I explained the ring, they swore their machine was capable to not have to remove.. well had to remove.. they certainly were not excited about the idea but they got paid.... most expensive tire change and balance ever :)

Some feedback on the MT baja boss ATs. 35 / 12.50 17 load d. Running 32 lbs.

Same road noise as the Falken mts they replaced, which were quieter than expected anyway. We will see as they wear. I do notice a bit more wander but the sidewalls definitely help with cornering stability.

Weight.. they are heavier than advertised, I dont have actual weight but I figure its at least 1 hernia rated...
You can feel the weight and it definitely affects acceleration. Not drastic but you notice it (as expected)

also tire place said they couldn't get spare on factory carrier even with 20lbs air... well they were wrong. Fits Perfectly.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35 inch tires going on, wheel question 20210617_152358
Jeep Wrangler JL 35 inch tires going on, wheel question 20210617_152551
Jeep Wrangler JL 35 inch tires going on, wheel question 20210617_152542

Last edited:

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Looks good but are you sure it's the weight you're feeling and not the tire size to gearing ratio?

OP
OP
grizzjeeper

grizzjeeper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
I can feel both, its a little sluggish from gearing ratio and response but you can feel the weight stopping and just and overall feeling. Its not bad, not in a way I would change my mind but I have seen many posts where people said no perceived difference. Simply not the case with these. The styling of the tire sidewalls and tread is awesome imo. The three peak snowflake was a huge factor since this is my wifes jeep.

Looks good but are you sure it's the weight you're feeling and not the tire size to gearing ratio?

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Can't wait to hear the snow and ice reports from these tires.
Sponsored