Sponsored

35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’ve only played with it briefly on the forklift. We’ll see what the real world flexing shows me.

As for the front, I can tell you it there will be no need to do any trimming with the AAL setup in the front. There is just tons of room up there.

In the rear, I have not done anything yet. I still need to split the flares and get rid of the liner. That is in progress, just waiting on AAL rear liners. We were into the bump stops hard and only had slight contact with the liner. Additionally I may have to trim the rear pinch seam just slightly... waiting to see.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I love your 39" km3's load c with the kmc xd229 beadlocks. Are you running stock rubi 4.10s/axles/brakes? I ran those same wheels with 37x12.50 Pats Dec-March and wheels/tires weighed 120lbs ea(wheels 47lbs + tires 73lbs) and could really feel the added rolling mass accelerating/braking with the 6 speed and 4.10 gearing....also prefer the look of your taller/wider tire with 3.5 backspacing wheels...found a deal on Method nonbeadlocks(27lbs ea) with 4.75 backspacing and sold the KMC's for more than I paid.(definitely miss the look of the kmc wheels) Planning to regear to 5.13 in the next 6 weeks. How does your setup ride? BFG claims the 39s weigh 89lbs ea and I wondered what a 135lb wheel/tires drive like? How tall do the tires measure on the jeep? My previous 35" BFG's were smaller than other 35s and I figured the 39" BFG's are prob about the same size as the 38" Pats. Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I love your 39" km3's load c with the kmc xd229 beadlocks. Are you running stock rubi 4.10s/axles/brakes? I ran those same wheels with 37x12.50 Pats Dec-March and wheels/tires weighed 120lbs ea(wheels 47lbs + tires 73lbs) and could really feel the added rolling mass accelerating/braking with the 6 speed and 4.10 gearing....also prefer the look of your taller/wider tire with 3.5 backspacing wheels...found a deal on Method nonbeadlocks(27lbs ea) with 4.75 backspacing and sold the KMC's for more than I paid.(definitely miss the look of the kmc wheels) Planning to regear to 5.13 in the next 6 weeks. How does your setup ride? BFG claims the 39s weigh 89lbs ea and I wondered what a 135lb wheel/tires drive like? How tall do the tires measure on the jeep? My previous 35" BFG's were smaller than other 35s and I figured the 39" BFG's are prob about the same size as the 38" Pats. Thanks for your feedback.
What brand gears....?

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Thanks man! I think it looks really good myself. I’m very happy how this thing has come together. And personally... just my opinion... I think the Machete is one of the best looking wheels out there.

Currently I am still running on the stock axles, 4.10 gearing and brakes and I think rides and drives great. I am running the auto tranny and really don’t notice the added rolling mass. Yes it doesn’t run the same as it did stock, I don’t see 8th gear that much at all but it’s not that bad. I know there is a lot of debate out there between 4.88 and 5.13’s. I’ve done a ton of research and talked to several reputable shops and they all say 5.13 is the way to go. Based on that, I have an appointment set in a couple of weeks to regear with 5.13’s, install chromoly axles and truss it. Until yesterday... that has changed completely now.

To be honest that was one reason I purposely chose the 39” KM3. The BFG tires always run small. I wasn’t ready to go to a 40” tire and that goes with it so I chose the BFG knowing it wound measure closer to a true 38”. As you know another reason to love them is the C load rating. They ride better than D’s.

I just went out and measured them on the Jeep as it sits. You won’t believe this but they measure 37.25” tall on the Jeep. That’s at 26 psi. I’m still playing with tire pressures and the chalk test. The tires without any weight on them measures 38.25”. So I’m loosing about an inch due to the weight of the Jeep.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Thanks man! I think it looks really good myself. I’m very happy how this thing has come together. And personally... just my opinion... I think the Machete is one of the best looking wheels out there.

Currently I am still running on the stock axles, 4.10 gearing and brakes and I think rides and drives great. I am running the auto tranny and really don’t notice the added rolling mass. Yes it doesn’t run the same as it did stock, I don’t see 8th gear that much at all but it’s not that bad. I know there is a lot of debate out there between 4.88 and 5.13’s. I’ve done a ton of research and talked to several reputable shops and they all say 5.13 is the way to go. Based on that, I have an appointment set in a couple of weeks to regear with 5.13’s, install chromoly axles and truss it. Until yesterday... that has changed completely now.

To be honest that was one reason I purposely chose the 39” KM3. The BFG tires always run small. I wasn’t ready to go to a 40” tire and that goes with it so I chose the BFG knowing it wound measure closer to a true 38”. As you know another reason to love them is the C load rating. They ride better than D’s.

I just went out and measured them on the Jeep as it sits. You won’t believe this but they measure 37.25” tall on the Jeep. That’s at 26 psi. I’m still playing with tire pressures and the chalk test. The tires without any weight on them measures 38.25”. So I’m loosing about an inch due to the weight of the Jeep.

Thanks for the info on the actual size of the BFG's as well as your experience with them.

I have a video up on my Expedition Builds YouTube channel that covers a day on the trail with two 2.0L eTorque equipped Jeeps, both on 39" KM3's. Both Jeeps were running stock axle housings and both owners really wheel their Jeeps.

Interesting to me was that both owners chose different ratios when they re-geared. David from DCD Customs out of L.A. went with 4.88's, while Mark from TeraFlex chose 5.13's.

Both owners told me they thought the gear ratios they selected were perfect. My take away from this was that the 8-speed auto and 2.0L can cover a lot of mod selections. Also, the DCD Jeep is used to cover more interstate (expedition) than what the TeraFlex Jeep does. I think the 4.88's might allow more 8th gear cruising out on the interstate. The TeraFlex Jeep (5.13's) could spin the 39's on dry pavement...that really impressed me! Food for thought.

-Steven

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
They don’t make any noise but I didn’t like the way the bottom flapped at highway speed. So I took the brace that was in there with the factory liner and modified it to fit in the chopped fender. So far it’s holding up great, and the fender doesn’t budge......

3D68EBDD-E472-4D7D-A7FE-3518426CC4BF.jpeg
AAL should probably include something like this in their kit IMHO.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
AAL should probably include something like this in their kit IMHO.
Yeah..... i agree........ it doesn’t work loose or make any noise, and doesn’t bother most people. But I made the mistake of hanging my head out the window at 65 miles an hour and looked at it. .......Well....... that’s all it took to set off my ocd.....:facepalm:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
For the guys with the AAL chopped fronts...do they rattle or shake at all? I thought I saw a comment about someone ending up doing a couple rivnuts to get rid of it but that could have been a one-off crap install job.
I was curious about the effectiveness of the fender retention hardware kit. I wanted to test if they were worth the added expense, or not.

Before installing the AAL liners and their brackets, I mounted the brace and the chopped fender with the factory white plastic clips. The fender was floppy to the point that I wouldn't want to hit highway speeds for fear of them ejecting. A stiff breeze while parked would get movement from them. Drilling the outer flange of the fender to bolt it to the end of the brace would stop the flapping, but the fender would still jiggle.

Installing the AAL liners requires ditching 6 white body clips per side, in favor of their bronze nutcerts, specially designed nylon washers, and stainless Allen buttonhead bolts. This made a huge increase in rigidity, but still a small amount of jiggle due to the remaining white clips.

Courtesy of a $19 nutcert installation tool off Amazon, i made short work of replacing the remaining clips with the bronze nutcerts from the hardware kit. It was indeed worth the added cost because the fender was rigid enough, even at highway speeds, that i still haven't bothered to drill the outer flange of the fender to install the extra piece of stainless hardware.

I chopped the rear fenders also, but have been waiting since late April for the rear liners and retention kits. I'm still using the white clips, which look horrible, and an abbreviated factory liners as a stop gap. Fortunately, the difference in orientation and size of the rear fenders are proving to hold their own against highway winds. But it's hard for rear passengers to not slide/bump them when getting out, and i can hear the white clips scream every time.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Good stuff! Are you saying that you are no longer going to regear/truss/chromoly? The tire size you measured isn't surprising...I saw a YouTube where the 37" km3 measured 35.25" on the jeep. My 37" pats measure 35.75" on the jeep...no tires seem to be true to size on the jeep.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah.... I’m with you on this one. I’ve been almost going in to re-gear now for a couple months, driving my buddy that has the Jeep shop that’s gonna do it, nuts, lol...... I still see 8 th gear once in a while, and it still has some get up left with 3.6 and auto. My 37 nittos are 35.75 on the Jeep. I’ve decided to wait on gears now till these wear out, then go 38 or 39s at that point I’ll re-gear. Well that’s the plan today anyway......:facepalm:...........:)

Sponsored

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good stuff! Are you saying that you are no longer going to regear/truss/chromoly? The tire size you measured isn't surprising...I saw a YouTube where the 37" km3 measured 35.25" on the jeep. My 37" pats measure 35.75" on the jeep...no tires seem to be true to size on the jeep.
Correct... no longer going to regear/truss/chromoly.

The only tires that seem to measure true are the 40” Nitto’s and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss.

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting...do you wheel your jeep hard?
I don’t know that you would say hard...but yes we play.

The reason I’m not making those changes is because I decided that while it would no doubt make the axles stronger, I feel like it’s just a matter of time before something gives. After all... these are still 44’s. I’ve seen the guys with busted axles on the trail just putting things back together at the end of the day when you come back by. It’s not fun so... I ordered a set 60’s.

A other reason I decided to go to 60’s is because I already know my next set of tires will be 40’s. So why spend the money on these axles only to spend more down the road. I’ll sell these axles and put that money towards the new ones and I’m set
Greg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I don’t know that you would say hard...but yes we play.

The reason I’m not making those changes is because I decided that while it would no doubt make the axles stronger, I feel like it’s just a matter of time before something gives. After all... these are still 44’s. I’ve seen the guys with busted axles on the trail just putting things back together at the end of the day when you come back by. It’s not fun so... I ordered a set 60’s.

A other reason I decided to go to 60’s is because I already know my next set of tires will be 40’s. So why spend the money on these axles only to spend more down the road. I’ll sell these axles and put that money towards the new ones and I’m set
Greg
Now that is a plan! Which 60?

-Steven

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now that is a plan! Which 60?

-Steven
I’m going with the Ultimate Dana 60’s. Talked to several guys running them and they all Seem like them. Plus it’s not a 8-10 week wait Dynatrac. I always wanted a set of Dynatracs but also more money.
Sponsored